Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Grill; check Griddle; check

We have the ever-popular Walmart $35.00 Sedona Red gas grill, I got rid of my heavy wheeled detachable grill-from-base grill. It had a Teflon griddle, I liked to cook Bacon on it. The griddle swung away then you had the porcelain grilling area. Nice, but too big. We bought the Wally World special and are quite happy with it. I bought a long hose and adapter that hooks up to one of my big Propane tanks. That is sweet. I went to Target to look for something to replace the griddle function, didn't see anything that had the correct footprint in the price range I was looking for. So, back to Wally-world I went. I found the perfect size that matched the pattern I brought along with me. It was in the Camping section. A Teflon-covered griddle with sloping sides, perfect for my Bacon cookin. I can also cook pancakes and eggs on it. One of the camp workers came by, I gave him a nice browned bacon slice. He smiled, so I guess it tasted OK to him.
After I cooked the pound of bacon, I tossed a couple of eggs in the grease, basted them and made a bacon and egg sammie. Yummer!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, my grill needs replacing right now and I'd like to get something more durable like the a Weber or comparable. I just don't like their prices. If you invite me over for some bacon, if you'd be so kind as to flip mine over a couple of more times (it look like you keep the heat nice and low), I do like mine crispy but not burnt. This is one of the best camping odors! Outdoor bacon!

Might I suggest a Propane pole for the 20# tank? This provides a fitting on the very top (I use this for a lantern) and two side fittings. I run one to the BBQ and the other to a camp stove. Biggest problem is that one must plan well on what they're doing because after the main valve for the bottle is turned off there's a lot of propane gas that needs to be purged or else when disconnecting everything you will release lots of unspent fuel into the environment and not only does it stink, it is flammable. It is also one of the worst camping odors! Stinky propane, even though the smell is added during refining for safety reasons.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Art, most of what I cook is just a little under, I do this because when warming in the microwave, it comes out just right.
I can assure you the ones for my sammie were perfect!
Your P Pole sounds stinky
Old 07-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I think I like yours better than mine, it's a Coleman tailgater with grill porcelan tops + griddle tops + stove tops but is larger and heavier than yours. It works extremely well but is a little heavy. It folds up like a carryon and rolls but still has to be lifted to basement or back of pickup.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Looks good, Ozz............

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Mmmmmmmm, nothing like pig slathered in it own grease. I'm going to get one of those.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Mmmmmmmm, nothing like pig slathered in it own grease. I'm going to get one of those.
Us Missourians like our pigs.. :0
Old 07-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
NC vinager based BBQ was my dinner tonight......mmm..mmm..good!! come for a visit and try it.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Ham & eggs. A days work for a chicken, a life time commitment for a hog.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Just picked up a Weber Q200 for our upcoming trip...pricey but I've always had good luck with Webers so we'll see how this one does.
Good idea Ozz about adapting a griddle for the BBQ!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Everything is better with bacon. I have a Weber Q 120. I have had it for 2 years now and love it. Easy to clean and not so big that it takes up alot of room in the storage area. I have one of the 13Lb propane bottles and the hose adapter that screws into there a small 1lb bottle would. That 13lb bottle fits right in the front drop down shelf of the storage area. For grillin bacon I bought one of the Presto Electric tilt and drain griddles. That griddle works great. I just throw out and extension cord and go right to the electric box and cook away. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Us Missourians like our pigs.. :0
Yes, yes we do.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:27 AM   #13
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
Quote:
quote: From BigAl25 Everything is better with bacon. I have a Weber Q 120. I have had it for 2 years now and love it. Easy to clean and not so big that it takes up alot of room in the storage area. I have one of the 13Lb propane bottles and the hose adapter that screws into there a small 1lb bottle would. That 13lb bottle fits right in the front drop down shelf of the storage area. For grillin bacon I bought one of the Presto Electric tilt and drain griddles. That griddle works great. I just throw out and extension cord and go right to the electric box and cook away. Al
I do about the same as BigAl52. The only difference is I use an electric fry pan to do bacon and eggs.
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #14
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
I love to cook breakfast outdoors. We have a Weber Q220 grill and the optional cast iron griddle. I have cooked bacon, eggs, diced potatoes, pan cakes, and french toast. Clean up of the griddle is easy and my wife loves not having to cook!
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:55 AM   #15
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
I have an electric griddle set up outside for my breakfasts (no use using my propane when I can use 'their' electricity. Have the Holland Companion for grillin'. Love the big one that I have at home so my DW bought me the Companion last year for Father's Day. Does great until the wind picks up and then I have a hard time keeping it lit. I have the extended hose but carry a 20# tank just for it. I want to hook up to the big one on the RV, just haven't done it yet.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote