Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
tennisdg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5058
the factory

[! Has anyone had a problem with getting in to the factory where they built the montana's. I called them up last week and told them about my counter top that has a bend in it about the second sink, i was told that they were booked up to two months ahead. I was then told that i had to get ahold of a dealer. i,m in vermont heading towards the indiana factory, but i dont know what to do

tennisdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
When we went to factory, we indeed had a long delay, 2 months sounds about right. They don't just service the Montana there, but everything Keystone builds, every single brand,in one service center. Usually the service center is the place of last resort, they do ask that you have your dealer fix it first, or at least look at it. Good luck with your repairs.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I agree with Carol, start with a dealership and see what can be done from that stand point. If you do not get the problem fixed from there, then I would get the factory involved.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:18 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Understand that the "factory" and the " service center" are two seperate places.The factory is of course where the Units are built and the service center is where they are serviced or repaired. They are near one another but the factory has nothing to do with the service or repair of your unit.If you are going there take a tour of the factory and the service center.The chances that you will get anything major done by just showing up at the service center are slim..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:00 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rich is correct, the terms Factory and Service center are often used as one and the same. Factory is just that, where they build em. Service center is where they fix them. They happen to be physically very close to each other, but are indeed seperate buildings, seperate staff, etc. etc. etc. But, we hear all the time, I am going to the factory for service. How confusing we are!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #6
tennisdg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5058
So i guess that i need to see a service center then i'll see what they can do
tennisdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:58 AM   #7
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Last September on our way to the Midwest Rally, We stopped at the service center and they couldn't be more helpful. We were very pleased with the service. We DID NOT have an appointment. Go there and talk to Lon. Good luck.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:13 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Lon is no longer with the service center, according to reports we have. We all will miss him tremendously!
Old 05-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have an appointment with the service center in July. We made the appointment a year ago, although making it that far in advance was for our convenience. We also were there in May of last year. In both cases we called with problems and they said they prefer to fix it in their place if we can get it there.

They are not a large outfit and cannot handle everyone who calls. Nor are they licensed as a retail service center. They can legally do nothing beyond bringing a rig back to factory specs.

The guy I talked to when we were there said sometimes when they hear of a problem they prefer to see it firsthand. That helps them identify a problem they can keep from happening in future rigs. They will ask you to bring the rig to the service center in that case. There are probably situations where they can fix it easier or more cheaply than going through a dealer. They may request a service center visit for those, too. I'm conjecturing on that one.

When we were at the service center there were a couple of people who just dropped in without an appointment. One needed a new roof. One had the flex frame problem. Our appointment was for Monday. Because of the dropins work on ours didn't start until Wednesday and was not done until the next Tuesday, the day after Memorial Day. Because of those folks who dropped in we had to drive 1400 miles roundtrip to Wamego, KS, from Goshen, IN, to make it to my folks' 60th anniversary celebration. The entire trip was at our expense. We had planned to be out of the service center in time to take our Montana to Wamego. So, we also had to get a motel room since my folks do not have the room.

Therefore, I do NOT suggest anyone just DROP IN at the service center. I, for one, do not appreciate that when it costs me both time and money when I already had an appointment. My opinion is if someone drops in they should be put at the very back of the list on an "as time available" basis and those of us who had the courtesy to make an appointment should not be delayed because of the drop ins. The exception would be a serious problem that cannot wait or endangers a life.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, I could not agree more:

see:

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~15271.asp

Where part of one of my responses was:

"However, when they are pulled off a scheduled repair to do a "off the road, I just stopped by" type repair, it puts them off schedule. Sometimes puts them days behind.

I'll just bet you want to know how I know, I'll leave it to the simple reply, "been there, done that". 2 days turned into almost 5."

You can read into that response a healthy dose of angst! Plus, we had one issue that was not addressed in full cause they ran out of time, which of course, meant, another appointment when it became obvious that the temporary fix did not take. We realized the temp fix was not working at the same time we Al's mom was quite ill, and yep, the stress was NOT fun! We felt the fix might have been done correctly the first time, the time we were there for 5 days, instead of 2, cept for a few drop ins.

As I stated in the other thread, I don't know how those guys at the service center stay so up beat and nice. Our 5 day, shoulda been 2 day, they had to come in on Saturday to finish our work, they missed family time, they were exhausted from the really long week, and some of even missed a golf game! Now, that is one awful thing, missing the golf game!!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Once again, I am thankful that I bought my rig from Rollin On RV in Schererville, Indiana. Not only have I not had to worry about needing the service center, but they have even gone beyond what the service center would have done. Remember the great Qwest experience. They helped me with installation of replacement speakers while in for some other repairs. I agree that there are things structurally that the service center would be better equipped to handle. Most anything else "should" be able to be handled by a dealer. I don't think I paid more for my unit, but even if I had the service has been worth it.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote