Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #21
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anglerdad

I'm looking at the Progressive EMS PT50C now online. I notice that it has a lock device on the cable. Are you able to lock it up tight using this? I hear these things tend to walk off.
I have never heard of one walking away but I usually use one of those cable locks to attach my portable PT50 to the power post. If nothing else, it will slow someone down. Installing a permanent mount version keeps it out of sight but I use a generator too often and I don't want the hassle of bypassing it.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #22
Denfinger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13210
Our 50 AMP Surge Guard prevented us twice from hooking up to pedestals that were so miss-wired, the unit would not allow connection to our Montana and we asked to move. As soon as we arrive at our site and BEFORE we disconnect the 5ver, I plug it into the pedestal and let it go through the 2 minute safety check and show green as we are leveling, etc.... Once we show green, we finalize our disconnecting procedures. We have shown many campground owners how serious their wiring is, which usually does not make them very happy but need to protect our investment.
Denfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #23
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:

I'm looking at the Progressive EMS PT50C now online. I notice that it has a lock device on the cable. Are you able to lock it up tight using this? I hear these things tend to walk off.
I use a heavy chain and good lock and wind it around the box so it can't be slipped over it. Don't know if it prevented any thefts, but I feel good about it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:46 AM   #24
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I don’t even know what brand mine is we have had it so long the label on the face is beginning on fade

I do have a locking device for it and us it when I am not at the stick house.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our PT 50C has not walked off in over 7 years , over 70K ,Miles and scores of campgrounds. We do not know of a personal experience of having one walk off. We do not secure it in anyway.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #26
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Like Rich, we don't secure our SurgeGuard. We, too, had over 7 years of fulltiming.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:57 AM   #27
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I use one too and don't do anything special to secure it. I use it cause we do go places where the electric is uuuhhhh lets say... some what.... ok uh well... I can say if I was still working for Verizon they would ban us from going into some of these places lol lol If you have ever been to Canton Tx and stayed on the property in the parking lot you know what I mean.... But we have been going there for years and have not had a problem....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #28
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I am currently in a rental trailer at Lake Minden 1000 Trails in Nicolaus, CA and there are signs posted in the section I'm in that state "Warning Low Voltage". I asked the attendant what that meant and he said that the section is highly prone to brownouts when too many rigs fire up their electronics. By having this sign, they are then hard to blame for problems and each owner is responsible for their own rigs. There are some pretty nice rigs in this section and I'm guessing they have some decent protection but I couldn't see it when walking the dog. According to them, the rental rigs are on separate circuits and safe from problems (except for the two days of the furnace whining - bearing? - and it finally stopped whining - from lack of use?. Oops spoke too soon, there goes the whining again.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:33 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:

I've always wanted to purchase a surge protector like the Surge Guard, but the price tag has driven me away. We've camped for 7 years in our old camper and have never had any issues at campgrounds.

Have I been lucky? Or, are these a nice but not necessary thing to have?

Cost vs benefits. Determine the cost of appliances that voltage issues will destroy against the cost of the protection.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote