Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #21
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Doesn't anyone here like the Super Glide?

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #22
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
As usual, Art speaks knowledgably about the weight calcs. Here's another weigh (I had to) to look at it. If the trailer axles are rated for 7K each, then your weight on the wheels could be 14K if you filled the trailer with everything you might want or need. Add 20%, or 2800lbs. for the weight on the pin, and your trailer could weigh 16,800lbs. It's not unusual for full-timers to carry a substantial load of STUF in their rigs. So, the 18K hitch starts to look pretty good. Then, as Art says, add the 2800lbs of pin weight, plus the weight of the hitch, to the empty weight of the rear axle and see where that takes you, compared to the rear axle weight rating on the truck's door sticker. If the rating is exceeded, as it often is, then you're depending on the reserve strength built into your truck suspension. It's pretty big, but not infinite, as my step-son can attest after collapsing the rear suspension of his half-ton Ram. We have a dually for all of the reasons above. Good luck with your choices and enjoy the ride.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #23
jkpruitt
Established Member

M.O.C. #12232
While I'll agree the Superglide is the best, and most likely the last hitch you' ll buy. It's also the going to be the noisiest hitch. Even when properly adjusted, they can make some racket...
jkpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #24
jkpruitt
Established Member

M.O.C. #12232
While I'll agree the Superglide is the best, and most likely the last hitch you' ll buy. It's also the going to be the noisiest hitch. Even when properly adjusted, they can make some racket...
jkpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #25
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Noisy??? I guess since this is the only 5th wheel hitch I've ever used I have nothing to compare it to but it doesn't seem noisy to me. I do have a small clunk when starting from a complete stop but thought that was inherent to 5th wheel hitches. Maybe that could be eliminated with a different pin box setup but it's not a big enough problem for me to chase and spend more money on (at least at this time).
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #26
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jkpruitt

Not sure what noise or racket is being referred to. I have the 2008 SuperGlide 4400 (18K) and don't experience any noise? .....Except when hooking it has a loud "click" noise which is built-into the design.

mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #27
35mastr

M.O.C. #12437
Well you guys convinced me. While browsing my local CL last evening I found this one and struck a deal with the guy today. It even has the Super-rails to boot for 450.00. Its in like new condition . Gonna tear it apart and clean it up as its been on a stand in a barn collecting dust.

Now just need to find the mounting system for my truck. Anyone got any good leads to an Internet site that will have what I need for a 2004 GMC 2500 HD. Its Diesel with and Allison if that makes a difference.

I got the pic but I dont see a way to upload it as I normally use VBulletin sites.[/img]
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #28
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
I have the Reese manual slider on our 2006 Ram. About 18 months ago I could not get it to release and slide back while trying to get in a tight site. Upon return home I called Reese and they sent me a new assembly under warranty. The instructions that came with the new part suggested that it was necessary to drop the landing gear to reduce the load on the hitch before sliding it. I'm not sure those instructions were in the original package, but I clearly remember that the RV dealer did not tell me to drop the landing gear first when we bought the trailer. When I recently changed my pin-box to a mor-ryde I opted for the longer pin box to provide some extra clearance. I'll stick with what I currently have, but the Superglide certainly makes for a no worry operation and if I have to make a change it will be to the Superglide.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote