Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Lawsuit

After Thor and several other cos. sold trailers to FEMA at probably very little profit or even a loss, they are now being sued? When does it end? We private owners don't seem to be in great distress . I see Prices rising soon so we who pay for our RVs can pay a windfall to those whom we all tried to help........am I missing something here?

HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
While I can't speak to the lawsuit, somehow I seriously doubt they sold the trailers without making a decent profit. The feds have no qualms about spending our money.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We saw some of those FEMA units being built at that time in Goshen and Elkhart.They were in General stripped down very basic units. Some did not even have holding tanks. There are some lawsuits regarding toxic chemicals used in the unit.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Apparently some folks like them. Several years ago, a few of those FEMA trailers were in a campground in Crystal River Florida. I was talking to a lady in one of them, and she told me that she was living in the trailer rent free (including site fee), and that her house had been badly damaged two years prior. When I asked her why it was taking so long for the house repairs, she told me she had not started anything yet, and would get started once somebody told her she could no longer stay in the trailer.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you look at the number of lawyers graduated from law schools every year you understand the crazy lawsuits. Too many of them to all be able to eat. Read an article yesterday that one of the famous storm chasers was up north filming a snow storm when his storm chaser car lost traction and slid down an ice covered driveway into the path of another car that couldn't stop on the ice. He refused the offer made by the other persons insurance (how was it that guys fault anyway) and is now suing for the destruction to his famous car. Another example is on the boxes of Star Kiss Bars at DQ. There is a little box that says "This product is frozen and may stick to lips and tongue". Someone got money for that suit and then a group of lawyers had to meet to decide on the warning, size of print and placement on the box. Just venting!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:07 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
How about that case where a burgler fell down the steps inside a house, broke his leg, was arrested and then sued the owner and won because the stairway did not have the correct handrail as required by local code!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was on a jury for a civil case where the bad guy was suing a person for shooting him in the act of breaking into the house and threatng with a knife..
We did not find in favor..
Old 04-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
What I can't figure out is if they were so toxic and making people sick then why are they allowed to sell them. There have been lots of them for sale here in Texas and a lot of people have them now and use them as camps and living quarters for out of town workers.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Quote:
quote:I was on a jury for a civil case where the bad guy was suing a person for shooting him in the act of breaking into the house and threatng with a knife..
too bad the homeowner didn't have better aim!
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
A little birdie in the industry in Goshen told me back then that much of the plywood used at that time, due to the FEMA request and short timeframes, was from China and the chemical issue was due to the Chinese providers. There was not enough plywood within the US providers to meet the demands. So the poor materials from China hit us once again.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wingerphil

Quote:
quote:I was on a jury for a civil case where the bad guy was suing a person for shooting him in the act of breaking into the house and threatng with a knife..
too bad the homeowner didn't have better aim!
The lady homeowner and shooter encountered the bad guy in the doorway of her bedroom with her small daughter inside, She was armed with a 12 guage shotgun and fired at very close range the shot passed between his arm and side and was so close that the shot had not dispersed very much . The shot put a groove in his side and ruined his elbow.He was suing for damages for the ruined elbow.

Meanwhile he was inside the home, advancing and had a weapon. The lady feared for her and her daughter's safety grabbed her husbands 12 guage and fired.

We found out after the trial as the information was not allowed to be presented in the civil case that the bad guy was already in jail for the crime having committed a felony...

Most of us thought during the trial that something did not add up.
He was also a crack head which is why he was committing the crime and we were not allowed to know that..
Old 04-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
It goes to show you how some people are looking for a quick buck or a Free B, what did they expect when they buy a trailer thats been used? a grand pallis. it has been used and abused by others before them. I even recall some users of them trailers complaining of not having sertain features. I see it as a roof over there heads. dont complain...If you buy a used Fema trailer you get what you pay for.
in stead of a trailer next time give them a TENT and a ground cover to sleep on.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Lawyers???

There was a case here in the NE where two Harvard Law grads were suing Harvard Law School because they could not find a job and could not afford to pay there student loans claiming that Harvard misrepresented their law degree program. Go figure?

Here in NJ there 1 shark for every 65 people!

Shame on the trailer manufacturers if they did not document the directives from FEMA and disclaim the product. Just because any government agency tells you to do something does not mean they will not come after you. The first words will be "yeah we told you to do it but you also knew it was wrong!"

And if they did not listen to FEMA and could not make trailers they would have gotten sued for some discrimination allegations....

Remember the government has our unlimited resources to fight us with!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
No good deed goes unpunished.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Until 2009 most particleboard, plywood and carpet had "considerable" amounts of Formaldehyde (no matter where they were manufactured). Then in 2009 and 2011 there were steps taken to "lessen" the amounts of this material, mostly found in the glues used to manufacture these products. Since the trailers were, more than likely made in haste, shipped right to the location for use and then closed up with the air conditioners running they had no chance for "off-gassing" (a personal problem that I sometimes have, but that's another subject). There are those who have allergic reactions to Formaledhyde but probably not 10,000 to 20,000 people, which is what I read is the suspected number of claims. In any event the settlement is somewhere around $15 Mil so that means each claim will be worth somewhere between $750 and $1,500 (if my math is correct). Of course that's before attorney fees, etc. etc. Maybe when it's all said and done they can take the money that's left over and buy a Calzone from Pizza Hut?
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They are claims and does not mean all of them will be paid. there have been post on this and other forums of folks having a reaction to "fumes" in their RV.