Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
desertgal
Established Member

M.O.C. #3292
Slides-Power

We are having a problem with the slides and the power
We have a 2005 model 2932 with 3 slides
The 1st slide ( bedroom) goes in with no problem.
The 2nd slide ( kitchen) goes in slower with a little help from pushing on the outside. The large living room-dining room 3rd slide goes in but must be pushed from the outside with someone pushign the power buttom inside. As the slides come in the 110 power dims-
if a 110 light is on it will dim-- if the air conditioner is on- it will kick off. After the slides are in the batteries are completely dead. They are new batteries and fully charged before starting the slides in. After they are in they is not even enough power to kick the refrigerator from 110 to propane.
(we are pluged in to electric power when we do this slide in)
Has anyone had this problem and does anyone have a suggestion as what the problem is?

desertgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:34 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
On our 3400, there are two 30 amp fuses on the 12v system. Check them both, one of them may be blown. Use a meter and measure. My slides operated in the same manner until I found the fuse
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:59 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Desertgal,

It sounds like you have a problem with the converter. The slides operate on 12 volts. The 12 volt power would come from the converter. If it is not powerful enough to get the slide in (I assume the rig is level) without someone pushing from outside then you are not getting enough 12 volt power.

Check all your connections to the pump/battery/converter. As mentioned check the fuses or circuit breakers.

If your batteries are drained after a simple slide in or out job then you have a bad battery or batteries and or a problem with the converter. Hard to imagine the batteries being bad if they are new but sometimes "stuff" happens.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

HamRad

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
To clarify the location of the fuses, they are on the left side of the 12v fuse panel.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
desertgal
Established Member

M.O.C. #3292
to bw2
I am posting for my husband who will not get on the computer.
He can not find the converter. do you know where it is. ?
and all the fuses are 15 amp no 30 amp fuses he could find. ?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
desertgal,

could you repost your model number ?? not sure what a 2932 is??? (If you are like me, it is called typo! OUCHIE )

I am gonna suggest something else BESIDES this electrical stuff, and that is making sure the slide mechanisms are clean and lubed. I will leave it to the dudes to tell you how to do that and what to use.

Also that the black seals around the sides are clean and lubed and kept pliable, again, the dudes can tell you what and how and what to use. I do know that Al will also spray the SIDES of the slide outs with something to make em slippery. I am gonna get myself in hot water here with some of the MOC members, but, honestly, he does.

OKKKK, the convertors are sometimes over the toilet and sometimes they are stuck behind stuff in the basement. I don't recall if they started this basement stuff as far back as 2005.

It would help if we could verify the floor plan you have. Let us hear from ya, good luck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
desertgal
Established Member

M.O.C. #3292
The floor plan model is 3295 RK year 2005 Montana is not making this model this year. I went to Montana's sight to try and see if they had anything ( where things are etc) No luck.
I has to be in the converter but can not figure it out.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:21 AM   #8
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Desert gal,
You should not have to push from outside.

Do the rooms squeak when they move? If so, have a service tech or your husband drop some of the underbelley panels to lubricate the gears of the slide mechanism. You can't see them with out dropping the underbelly.

If this problem has occurred for a while, you may have damaged your batteries by over draining them. Disconnect from shore power and test the batteries for charge. Use a meter if you have one, or use the battery monitor button on the inside for a less precise measure.
You may not have enough battery power, so the converter has to supply all it can to the project, so your refrig and air cond. trip. (I turn all electric appliances off before I do the slides as a matter of routine.)

Good luck. I surely find these kinds of problems frustrating, so I really identify with your experience.
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:25 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
As others have noted, I would suspect the battery is bad. I don't think the converter alone could operate the pump. Not sure what size converter the 2005 Montana's had, but our 2006 Mountaineer only has a 45 amp. Seems that hydraulic pump is rated up to 100 amps. I have 80 amps worth of breakers on the pump. It was tripping the 50 amp one.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
desertgal
Established Member

M.O.C. #3292
My husband suspects somthing with converter. Had a heck of a time finding it. After tearing the trailer apart- had an e mail from GaryK of Montana Owners who has the same year and model- who told us where the converter was. Behind the power panel in bathroom - had to take the panel completly out to even see it-Now will be another job to get it out etc. Why theymake it so hard to find and harder to get to.?
We have bran new batteries.