Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
dwells
Established Member

M.O.C. #6428
Rapid City to Salt Lake City

Currently in Rapid City SD. Looking for the best route to Cody Wy.,Yellowstone, and Salt Lake City. Pulling a 3400RL with 2500HD. My
wife gets real nervous in the mountains. I do not mind driving a few extra miles if my wife is more comfortable with the roads.Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

dwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I suggest taking I-90W from Rapid City into Wyoming. Just passed Sheridan is the exit for Ranchester(US 14W), that will take you all the way into Cody. If my memory is correct, it is exit number 8 or 9...but please don't hold me to that. The 2nd exit for Sheridan has a great ExxonMobil station with real easy access for fuel. There is also a McDonalds right next to it with a fair sized parking lot. US 14 will also take you into Yellowstone from Cody, but I have only traveled as far as Cody on 14.

As for coming out of Yellowstone, I would say grab US20 South and merge onto I-15 in Pocatello, Idaho. Then you can stay on 15 all the way into Salt Lake City, Utah. I left Spokane, WA last August and went to the fall rally in Indiana via Salt Lake City. I took I-15 out of Montana all the way down to SLC. By the time you get to Pocatello you are pretty much out of the "mountains". I am confident your wife will not have any trouble with I-15 into Salt Lake City. I cannot vouch for US20.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
If you go by the Fort Hall Indian reservation, stop for fuel. Good access from I15.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
An RV friend of mine recently wrote that she'd been warned NOT to take Hwy 14A under any circumstances. Her comments:
I ended up going to the welcome center as soon as I got
into Wyoming and they also told me about this route (14A) and said
that 14 also had some steep hills and switchbacks. They recommended
taking 16 from Buffalo, saying this was the fastest, least steep
grades, most scenic, and safest route to take to Cody. So that's the
one I went with, avoiding both 14 and 14A.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote