Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2007, 04:45 AM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Slide Out Supports

I searched the site and could not find a post on this topic. Do you install supports under the slide outs when you are in a location for 3+ weeks?? We are going to be in one park for 4 weeks this summer and I was wondering if anything is necessary.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:00 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have a set and only used them one time. It to me was one of those things that I seen another Rver using and thought I have to have them??? Oh well it has took a lot of time and money to realize a lot of things just aren't needed. Yes to answer to your question they are mounted under the slide rail. But I got to thinking what would happen if you loose air pressure or the 5er sinks into the ground??? It would put a lot of pressure on the slide, don't know if this would ever happen. Just a thought, good luck on your decision. Also keep in mind there are different sizes, I would get a measurement. The ones we have are the screw type adjustable. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:10 AM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Tim, I don't think I would want to use them. I have heard more cons on this issue that pro's. I fear settling, or improper adjustment on my part that could cause structural damage to the slide. Others may come along and dispute this and that's good because I just don't have enough experience to be considered an expert. JMHO is all I have to offer.
I have seen this subject beat to death on another website.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:13 AM   #4
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
In my SOB TT, it had two slideouts (LR/Kitchen and BR). It was parked on my site at a private campground. It sat in the same spot for 5 seasons. The slideouts would come out in April, and stay out until I closed up in October. I've never used slideout supports, and have never had any problems with regards to not using them. I have only used the new Monty for 26 days, but didn't use supports then either with no problems that I know of. Personally, I don't see the point.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
There has been a lot posted on this subject. I believe our Lippert expert warns against them. When we first purchased our Montana we were set up for 9 months without moving. No supports were used. Everything was okay when we brought the slides in. Save your money and used it for something special for the Monty.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
DO NOT USE THEM. Think about this: If you are set up on a grassy lot, it rains or a tire goes soft, there will be upward pressure on the bottom of the slide due to the support (assuming it is set on stable blocks). This can cause severe damage to the slideout mechanisms.

We have never used these supports in the over 6 years of full timing we have done. Why are they on the market? Because unknowing people will buy them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We don't use them, primarily because I am afraid that I would forget they were there and screw up my slides. Also, I have learned from the forum here that they really aren't necessary. We sit for six months at a time and have never noticed a problem.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I used them at first thinking it was the thing to do - support them and all that. Then after reading here on the forums about what Lippert had to say about them they were removed from the rig completely.
They appear to be a waste of money like a few other things the rv parts suppliers lure us into buying.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
NOPE!! DON'T USE 'EM! You are creating more risk by using them than by not. I can't vouch for the Dewald systems but, the LCI systems were designed so that you don't have to.

And that is all I'm going to say.

Did I say don't use them?!?!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #10
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
3 Years 2nd Montana with 4 slides NO SUPPORTS. everything works good, our new 3400 withe the large slide feels wobbly but its OK

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
OK, I am convinced again by the MOC! I will drop this and take the money for some fun stuff---like king salmon fishing on the Kenai! Thanks for the replies.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tim, If I'm not mistaken, the Keystone owners manual says specifically, do not use slide supoorts.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #13
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
From my experience...save your money. I bought 2 sets(1 for LR/Kitchen & 1 for BR) I used them one time. The threads stripped out on the first time and they fit kind of awkward on the slide rails. I took them back and got my money back. I have had my slides out for most of the last 6 months through warm & cold weather with no problems when I close the slides.

Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #14
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
What PParamore said. Keystone manual says not to use supports.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Keystone will tell you that if you use the supports and have slide damage you have no warranty coverage for that damage. Keystone says DO NOT use the supports. For a few months their manuals said to use supports. When we pointed that out to them they immediately updated the manual and took that out.

We have never used supports for the slides no matter how long we stay in an area (up to 3 month stays) and never will. Too much potential for damage when the rig settles on its other supports. The slides are plenty strong. No support necessary.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote