Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Heat Register Covers in 3650RK

Just got back from a week along the Oregon Coast. We had the furnace going just about the hole time we were there. We have a 2007 Montana 3650RK with the Artic Pack. At nite we set the thermostat to 68 and the bedroom was still too warm. Then we covered the register with a pillow and it was still warm in the bedroom.

In the bedroom there is an approx 3.5"x11.5" heat register. In the Living Room & Kitchen there are 3 approx 5.5"x11.5" heat registers and there is small round plastic register in the bathroom. All of these registers do not have any dampers, so there is no way to regulate air flow. While the bedroom was real warm, the living room seemed cool to me and the kitchen warm near the kitchen sink.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm thinking of going to Lowes or Home Depot to get registers with dampers.

Thanks for your input.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Don & Annie,

You have to love the Oregon Coast, we try to go down the West Coast at lease once a year. As you can see, we live on the Coast in British Columbia. Many people had added dampers and deflectors to their heating system. I guess there is basically just one heat duct going front and back so it can be Little hard to get just the right amount of heat to come out of any one vent. And of coarse if your unit is any thing like ours... the heat wants to go to the highest point, the bedroom. Might help closing the bedroom door at night. we usually turn or heat down to about 60 at night, 68 would be way to warm for us. I sometimes just put a book over the bedroom heat register but putting a proper register with a damper in it would be better. Just be careful not to block too much heat from coming out of the vents and over heating the furnace.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:36 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We got the registers with dampers for all the outlets at Home depot.I think the most expensive one was 10.00. The ability to control and direct the airflow did make a difference.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:52 AM   #4
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
A couple of things you can do. As said by John and Dawn, closing the door to the bedroom area will help. Do this in the evening before you go to bed. We sometimes run our fireplace heat(if you have one) in the evening. Even then the heat gets up to the bedroom area and hangs there. So we close the door. Before going to bed we set the thermostat on 60. One of us will sneek out of bed a little early and turn the thermostat up, and turn the coffee pot on. Then we crawl back under the covers for a half hour or so. It has been great sleeping in the Monty! We love it even more if it's cool at night.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:58 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Here's a good mail order source for registers and vents:

http://www.dwincorp.com/index.php
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:35 AM   #6
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
We replaced all 4 with registers that have dampers from Lowes at $7 each.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...412&lpage=none
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:09 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Thanks for the good ideas, I'll have to try them.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:39 AM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
You can replace the registers with the dampered registers like the others have already mentioned. When you go shopping you will be looking for the register sizes of 6" X 12" and
4" X 12". I drilled a hole in each end and screwed them to the floor. You can adjust the air flow by using your foot to open or close the damper.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:59 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Nice link for the registers VanMan, thanks. I've been looking for the round ones.

We replaced all the registers with the adjustable ones from Home Depot, but it's still tougher to regulate that the stick house. Rather than redirectering air from a closed register to an open one, you end up pushing a lot of air into the unregulated vent to the belly.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:08 AM   #10
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I'VE TAKEN THE REGISTERS OFF AND PUT A PIECE OF PLEXCIGATE ON THE ISIDE BLOCKING MOST OF THE FLOW, FORCING IT TO THE REST OF THE MONTY
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote