Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2006, 02:09 AM   #1
terry
Established Member

M.O.C. #5999
A/C airflow

I have a question for anyone with an '06 3650RK. We have almost no airflow in the bedroom with the A/C fan on hi and the vent shut on the unit in the kitchen.
The dealer says it is normal and a 2nd unit is needed in the bedroom.
I would like to hear from any owners of the rear kitchen units if they have the same problem before having the 2nd unit installed.
Thanks for the help.

terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:36 AM   #2
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
Terry, Sorry for the lack of air when needed. I do not have a rear kitchen. My air flow in the bedroom is REAL good. Even in the hot,high humidity. Hope you can easily fix it without spending too much $.
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:04 AM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
We have a rear kitchen, but on a different model. The airflow in the bedroom won't ( in bsmeaton's words ) part your hair, but we find it very sufficient so far. We don't have enough humidity around NM to create a problem, but it does get extremely hot. I don't know how well it would work with the bedroom door closed though, we leave ours open and the ceiling register in the living room closest to the stairs, is pointed into the upstairs area.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
terry,
This may be a question for our resident Heating and Air guy, Ozz. You might PM him and ask. He is a vat of info and a heck of a nice guy.
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Well, they may have changed the way they make things, but from the plant tours we have gone on, I don't think it is enough that you should be that different from ours.

We get great cooling in the bedroom (front of the rig). We have a rear kitchen unit.

Sounds like to me some of the "tape" has come loose, or something is not quite connected.

Our bedroom is actually cooler than the main part of the coach, we do not have an extra A/C, we have not done anything to the unit.

We have been in some nasty stuff (warm) in RGV and in Iowa last summer, where it was near or above 100 and our glasses steamed up when we walked outside the coach. The A/C ran alot, but it ran cool, we were comfy and the bedroom was as well.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
we have a 3500rl and have added a ac unit in the bedroom. It helps to cool down the trailer much faster on hot days. I am glad I had it installed. Also had heat strips installed.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
First time out with the 3650 it was a 90 degree day in N/W Florida. Went camping at a local State Park. I'll make a short story shorter -our next trip included the 2nd a/c unit in the bedroom. There is lousy air flow to the bedroom especially in hot temps. Could not get the temp below 83 that first time. Now, it is no problem for the 5ver to be 70 inside when it is 90 plus outside.
The only mistake I believe I made was not thinking ahead and buying a low profile unit. With the regular Dometic unit I am 13'3" overall and I get a little nervous about heighth. Carrier makes a low profile unit only 7.5" high and has a much better distribution box inside. The Dometic low Profile is 9.5" high. The low profiles seem to be around 100.00 more, but I think worth it. Hind sight, hind sight!! Oh well.

Curt

Just for the heck of it, I bought 2 closable vents for the kitchen just to see if it made much difference - it really doesn't. I'm really glad we have the 2nd unit.
cs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
We have the '06 3650RK and had the exact same problem. I thought at first I would need a second unit to get air to flow out of these vents but the guy at our dealer's service department said there should be air flow all the way to the front with just one unit. In fact, I don't think a second unit would even be ducted. Anyway, the tech found where the two pieces of ductwork came together in the ceiling, one end was bent down, totally restricting the flow to the three vents upstream from the crushed point. The tech pulled a portion of the ceiling down and somehow got the bent part aligned properly. Air flow is now suitable to keep the whole trailer cool. We live in Iowa during the summer and have many 90+ high humidity days. Hope this information helps you.
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:55 AM   #9
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
We have a single unit in our RK and we have no problems. I put a small fan that will blow the bedspread off darn near on the dresser and we have been comfortable. Have not camped in 120 degree weather but high 90s & low 100s.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We had a lot of problems with our main AC. We complained a lot. Dutherm did a lot of trouble shooting and nothing helped...We had almost no air going into the bedroom. We had second installed in brdroom and the main AC still was not cooling properly. Keystone installed a new AC in living area. What a difference! We now have lots of air coming through the vents in bedroom. We also was having freezing problem with the orginal AC. That AC had a lot of problems.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
We have an 05 3650RK and a single A/C unit in the kitchen. We Winter in Central FL so the temp is often in the 90's. We do get decent flow out of the bedroom vents so it is comfortable. When the outside air gets into the 90's we set the unit on "HI", which does seem to help. We also never close off the "dump damper" in the kitchen to make sure the A/C doesn't freeze up. Having said this, our next Monty would probably have the second unit in the bedroom. Some days the A/C never shuts down until it cools off in the evening. But it never gets uncomfortable in the Monty, remembering that the A/C cooling efficiency cannot cool any more than a 20 degree delta from the outside air temp.

Having said this, sounds like vent blockage like others mentioned, is probably causing your problem

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
WE also have a 3650RK 2005 model, spent last Feb in RGV Texas with just the one AC. It did a fail job however I will admitt as someone before mentioned. The air flow as very light in the Bedroom. We did survive the RGV OK - However this summer I did go ahead and install a 2nd AC Dometic Penquin low profile...WON'T BE A PROBLEM ANY MORE thats for sure... But as previously mentioned I sure would have someone check the vents to see if proper flow is being maintained. Might be easy to check with just a portable fan, put it up to the vent on HIGH and see what you get at each vent. Safe Travels your two John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote