Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
Montana_5132

M.O.C. #5132
Did I get a lemon?

I am wondering if I have an unusual Montana fifth wheel. We have had a lot of problems on a brand new unit. Model 2955. So far the refrigerator has had to be replaced. Original did not keep cold on the lowest setting. The microwave has not worked since we brought it home, and still has not been replaced. The shower stall leaked at the drain and started a mold in the storage area. The shower hose has sprung a leak. One of the tires has a slow leak and a new tire has been delivered but not put on the rim. One of the aluminum brakets on the awning broke during first use.

Our dealer has offered to fix everything but this is getting to be a bit much. Is this normal?

Jerry

Montana_5132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Jerry,

welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not normal, nor abnormal.

The frig is a vendor item, NOT a Keystone item. Ditto on the wheel/tire and the microwave. The shower leak at the drain has been discussed here on the forum a LOT, and a search of the archives and current subjects should give you some good reading. The shower hose, cannot help ya there, but I would have to assume/guess that is also a vendor item.

It would be nice if Keystone could buy say, stoves/ovens (not microwaves) from more than one vendor, but the last we knew there was only ONE vendor period for stoves/ovens. No competition out there, that is a problem.

It would be nice if Keystone put in more upscale TV's, microwaves, etc. But, then, me thinks we would be paying a WHOLE lot more than what we did?? eh???

If your dealer has been able to or has offered to fix everything, you have 80% of the battle won. There are a few of us out here that have dealer/stealers that did not go that far.

Enjoy the rig, glad you joined us here at MOC

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Jerry, sorry to hear about your problems and they do seem stranger than normal issues. Agree with Carol that the vendor problems are not a Keystone assemble problem. The leak in the shower drain has been an ongoing problem and I don't understand why it's not being addressed by Keystone. I would suggest you work with your dealer and aggressively get these problems corrected. As Carol said with a cooperative dealer you can quickly get your Montana repaired. Let us know how you make out and if needed don't hesitate to get the Keystone Customer Support involved.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Jerry,
We have a 2002 2955RL. We have driven with it over 40000 miles. Just got back from a trip to Northwestern Florida and Stone Mt. Georgia and all the states in between.

Based on our experience, I think your experience is abnornal. We have had very few problems with our Montana. We have had none of the problems you have reported. I am not bragging, but giving you an honest report as a point of reference for you.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Jerry,

You have the same unit as we do and to date, knock on wood (as he hit's himself in the head, closest thing to wood around), we have not had any major issues. It's a 2006, same as yours so perhaps Keystone just got some bad vendor supplied items on yours. Hang in there and let us know how well Keystone takes care of you.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Most of those issues should have been found on a good Pre-PDI and PDI also sounds like you dealer did not do much of a dealer prep.We hit Keystone /Montana pretty hard here on assembly line or shoddy workmanship issues but your issues are vendor supplied issues and sounds like your dealer did not spend much time making sure eveything was in order...Does anyone out there know who the district sales rep is for that region.These are the kind of things they need to hear about and in our experience can make thing happen.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gotta go along with the rest on this one. We have an 04 2955 and after 32 months of full timing have had NO major problems and only 1 or 2 very minor problems which I fixed myself. One was a CD/Cassette/Radio where the CD part did not work. That I discovered just a month ago as we had never used the CD player. I fixed it myself by throwing it in the dumpster. The other was a dragging shower door.

Sounds like you have a great dealer who is standing behind what they sell. They are becoming fewer and fewer. Hang on to them.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #8
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Glen how did you ajust your shower door from dragging, mine is doing the samething, I have been lifting it when we open it. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Roman,

Careful asking Glenn that, you saw how he fixed his CD player didn't you?? I thought that was classic, and about my talent with fixing electronic things.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:40 PM   #10
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Welcome Jerry,

We've had more keystone problems, and no vendor problems on our 2006 2980RL.
Couple of broken wires,
cracked waterline,
Short in one brake line,
Leaky shower drain,
Oh ye, I guess there was one Vendor item, The infamous Quest CD/receiver stereo system. Like Glen & Lorraine I threw it away, Actually I sold it to one of my employees but he never paid for it so I guess that's like throwing it away.
The rest I fixed myself ( too far from the dealer for those kind of repairs). If it was something more substantial, like stove, fridge, air etc..... I would definitely go back to the dealer.
Hang in there, once the bugs are worked out you'll really enjoy your new trailer.
J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:34 AM   #11
Montana_5132

M.O.C. #5132
Thanks for all your replies. I guess since the dealer has a good repair guy and he has made quite a few house calls, I should not complain. I would like a Microwave that works though.

We are remodeling the house so living in the 2955 is ok for just two of us. My daughter came home for the weekend so it got a little crowded but cozy.

The house is expected to be done in about 9 months. The fifth wheel needs to function through that time frame.

Jerry
Montana_5132 is offline   Reply With Quote