Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2005, 03:36 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
moisture and humidity

We have just moved in our Monty within the last month. Living in moderate cold in Tennessee. The owners manual warns against moisture condensation inside the coach but in relation to the air conditioner. I have read elsewhere that condensation can occur in the walls or ceiling of some coaches sometimes. The Owners manual suggests heat from normal light bulbs can cause moisture problems in the ceilings.

So we always open a vent when showering. We run the exhaust vent over the stove when cooking. (The wife has yet to use the vent when doing dishes, but I guess I could start doing them!) That is all the venting we do. I have notice condensation only once on the kitchen window, vent fan running, while boiling some spuds.

Are we venting enought for winter? What should I be looking for?

Thanks to all

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:25 AM   #2
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
suggest you buy a de-humidifier, they work great and remove and enormous amount of moisture from the air very quietly. We bought ours at Sears, and have never regretted it.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If you are keeping the glass clear, then I would say that you are doing and adequate amount of venting. (Just my opinion).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sounds good enough to me. I agree, if the windows are clear you don't likely have a problem. Even if you occasionally get a little moisture on a window, it's not a big problem. If Vicki is boiling a big pan of water, like for spaghetti, then she'll open a ceiling vent just a crack. Our range hood vent doesn't do a real good job so we augment that way.

By the way, the Montanas have attic vents up on the roof to vent moisture. Just one of the little-known things about a Montana that others, like the Everest, do not have.

We have one window that will get some moisture on it during winter. We finally realized the furnace exhaust is just outside that window and when wind conditions are just right that window will fog.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
Katja_and_Michael
Established Member

M.O.C. #5129
Hi! We're new to the site, Montana's, and full-timing! We moved into our 2005(6?) 3400RL near the end of November. Since we live on Vancouver Island (still have 7 years until retirement), and it rains here a lot in the winter, we have noticed a lot of condensation. We are already looking to buy a dehumidifier, and are wondering what size is good (and where to put it!). What is your opinion on size, and where do you keep yours when you are using it?

Also, we're wondering if anyone has installed baseboard heaters, and what you think about doing so. Again, we'll be staying here until I retire, and will have to deal with the cool/cold. Anything anyone has to say would be of interest.

Thank you so much!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickety

suggest you buy a de-humidifier, they work great and remove and enormous amount of moisture from the air very quietly. We bought ours at Sears, and have never regretted it.
Katja_and_Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We haven't had a problem with condensation so I can't address that problem. Just wanted to say welcome to Katja and Michael.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Unless you put a dehumidifier in both the LR and BR, I suggest you put some Drizit stuff in the bedroom/shower/toilet area also. You can get them most anywhere and there are several different brands. They really work and are not expensive. Welcome and enjoy!
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome, Katja and Michael!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:03 AM   #9
Katja_and_Michael
Established Member

M.O.C. #5129
Thank you for all the welcomes! What a friendly forum! As we spend more time in our Monty, we may have more questions, but it's great fun just to read the posts.

I don't have much time right now, so will let this be all. I'll read some more later today. We're kind of going for a record number of days of rain without a break - we're at 26 days now, on Sunday (at 28) we would be at the record (set in 1953). So, from very wet Vancouver Island, I wish you all great weather and a good weekend!

Old 01-14-2006, 04:45 AM   #10
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
Katja and Michael, WELCOME!! and try to stay dry No pun intended.
Outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:19 PM   #11
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Katja and Michael, welcome to our forum. I guess your wx is almost the same as Seattle. We have a daughter living there and they are getting soggy from all the rain. Keep your power dry.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:21 PM   #12
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Funny this topic came up today.I just went to Walmart and bought a dehumidifier yesterday and am now just trying it out in my home.will go into Montana today. ,paid $128.00 for it. We will see if it works cause I had windows condensate badly while we were in it with heat on.
will try to post a Pict of it later.
http://tinypic.com/m7ygt5.jpg

[img][/img]

cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:13 AM   #13
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
We have a dehumidifier and decided that it wasn't needed. We have had only 1 instance of steamed windows (the dreaded pasta boiling) since then no issues. Even during showers I have left the vent closed and windows and surfaces are ok. I am sure it's location (KS) the northwest would probably be a different issue.
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Do either of you have dual pane windows?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #15
Katja_and_Michael
Established Member

M.O.C. #5129
Hi there!

We also bought a dehumidifier - our windows had condensation, as well as on the walls where the aluminum frame is, and in the vent covers. Since we live here in wet Victoria, BC, every time we come in from the rain or drizzle, our coats bring in the damp, which dries and ends up on the cold windows, walls, and vent covers.

We do have dual pane windows, and we open the vent and turn on the fan in the bathroom when we shower, and always use the range hood when cooking (even though it's loud). The dehumidifier works very well, since we've been using it during the last two or three weeks. We have it on continuous cycle, and the humidity (measured independently of the dehumidifier)varies between 52% and 58% or so (probably depending on the humidity in the air outside too).

If you are living where you have moisture in the air, and it's cool/cold, I think a dehumidifier is a good idea.

My 2 cents worth, anyway.

Take care...
Old 01-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #16
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Hi Katja and Michael, I live about 45 minutes away in Duncan. My 06 2955RL has the dual pane windows and the big picture window on the back has a pretty wet bottom track where the wind blows the rain on the window and the seals on the windows allow a little water to drain into the track.
It only gets moist as most of it drains out the drain holes in the window. Does yours do this also?

I don't think I will ever need to open these slides so when the weather dries up I am going to seal those sliders with a good quality silicone. Take care and nice to see other Islanders on this site. Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #17
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Don & Donna,

Where did you hear the rumor that it is going to stop Raining? We live across the Pond in Davis Bay on the Sunshine Coast.
Have been trying to get outside to do a little work on our Monty for the last couple of weeks but just keeps on raining. I think its been raining for forty days and forty nights. Hope it drys up for next weekend, want to take the unit out to Chilliwack for a little RC fun fly.

Take Care
John & Dawn
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #18
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Hi John and Dawn, We have never had the pleasure of doing the Sunshine Coast but we hope to get there someday. We hear it is a great trip. We did get a nice sunny afternoon today on the Island and Donna and I walked our two crazy dogs.
They were even more unruly than usual.
Great looking rig you guys have and the stairs in front of the wheels on your 2980RL make it a lot more Ferry friendly than my 2955RL with it's rear entrance.I measured it and decided to remove the stairs in case we had a low tide at the ferry ramp. Four 3/8 " bolts and about 5 minutes is all it takes and I think I will take them off for every ferry crossing.

Take care and look forward to more posts from you. Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote