Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Front Landing gear failure Update

We were all loaded up ready to head out for a few weeks when the front landing gear failed. It looks like I might have retraced them too far. Just had a mobile tech come out and said the the gears were stripped and we had to replace the jacks. Motor runs and gears on the top are engaged and rotate.

Looked at John Kohl's post for rebuilding the jacks. Repairs are covered under my extended warranty but so far I have been told that it's a week or two to get the parts. Waiting for the dealer to call back to see if there are any other options.

Bummer....we were excited to hit the road!

Ken

Update, dealer had the parts...3 1/2 hr drive one way, made it 2 minutes before closing. Mobile repair scheduled for 10am. Looks like we won't have to unpack the rig after all!

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Rebuilding the gears is not a hard job. If you have extended warranty they may just replace the whole leg as the easiest fix. Not sure I can offer any other suggestions.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Lippert replaced our landing gear, first trip out. Took a week to get parts, but only an hour to replace jacks. Hope dealer has them in stock. Larry PS Ours is 2010 3455SA same as yours. I would like to know if your shafts broke where the shear pin goes through at the top of the shaft as that is where ours broke. The hole for the shear pins looked too big in mine, that would certainly weaken the shaft.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Hope they can get you on the road soon.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We have painted a yellow line for the retract limit and a red line for the extend limit on the leg on the driver's side. Thank God we have only blown the fuse and not striped and gears "yet".
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote