Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2011, 08:07 AM   #21
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
What a difference two years can make. I called Marshall today, trying to locate the C6121 regulator. The receptionist said that production had been discontinued and while they planned to produce a replacement, there was nothing yet in production. A Sacramento RV store may have one in stock. I'll check that out this afternoon.

Bill

Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #22
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I don't know if you saw my reply to your other post. But check Makarios RV. They still show it on their web site and it will still allow you to add it to your shopping cart. Maybe they have some stock on hand.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #23
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Thanks, I'd seen a couple of internet dealers still listing it, but would like to get it before heading out in the Monty soon. If the local dealer doesn't pan out, I'll use the internet.

Edited at 1710 hours. Got it! I've no idea why Marshall is no longer making the regulator. Allied Trailer Parts in Sacramento (a great parts store) had one left. Now, they have none.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #24
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Saw this on another place:

vonzoog,
Here is an explaination made by one of my Excel dealer friends. Tom is very technical and says it better than anyone else I know.

The bottom line here is, if you don't have a 30psi pressure regulator on the tank opposite your automatic changeover valve, you need one. These were installed by federal law on Sept. 1, 2005. To do this job requires about $50.00 in parts. It is easy to do yourself if you any kind of handy. This will eliminate the furnace not relighting in the middle of the night during switchover!!

One other thing I'll share is the fact that folks complain that they don't get as much use out of the second tank as they do the first! Long story short. The changeover regulator doesn't go to a "hard" red until the second tank is to about 1/4 used up. So in other words, the second tank is 3/4 full when you get the red flag! Just FYI. This is normal operation. Live with it!

Here's Tom's quote:

"A little information for you on LP. No where in any inputs does it talk about Gas Pressure. Your LP system, past the regulator should maintain a pressure of 11.4 WCI (water column inches) of pressure with 75% of your appliances running on Gas (RE: water heater, furnace, refer., stove.) Of these appliances the stove is the one appliance that will work off the weakest pressure. So if your furance does not seem to operating and you turn your stove and it works this is one reason why, you will have low gas pressure, and your stove should not be the indicator that you have plenty of Gas, as it will run on the bottom portion of the Gas system, (Now mostly liguid). Now Gas systems with LP bottles on both sides of the unit. If your regulator is on the door side and that bottle goes dry, your regulator should changeover to the next bottle. With the new OPD values and connectors that are put on today, without the extra regulator on the ODS, you will experience problems, especially in Colder temps. The Oversize fitting (Green) that connects the bottle on the ODS, has a built in ball bearing with a spring in it to help indicate if there is a major leak in the system and will shut down any pressure coming out of the the tank. Now what the manufactures have down is install a 1/2" pipe to go accross the coach and tie into the line coming from the regulator. If the furnace is operation of in startup operation it will call for a large amount of Gas (Water Heater #1 large amount use, and Furnace #2)to make it operate. With the bottle trying to keep that 1/2" line full, which the furance as depleted, the value on the bottle shows indication of a large amount of gas leaving the unit. It now goes into a shut down mode. Unless your unit is completely purged with gas it will seem that system is not working right. Now with the regulator that Marshall Gas Controls has put out, it will hold that pressure in the system and it will not indicate a large leak from the tank through the pigtail hose to the regulator and your system will run as it should. (Marshall Gas Control part number C6121#2049-High Pressure Regulator Preset at 30 PSIG) As stated in a eailier comment as of Sept. 1, 05 all manufactures are to be installing this Regulator on Split Tank systems. If you want to attempt a test to see if this is what is going on, remove your Tank from the ODS along with LP pigtail, and place it on the DS at the Regulator. Run the furance and hot water heater at the same time with gas supply coming from the tank that is on the door side. With both bottles on, shut off the DS tank and you will see it changeover to the 2nd bottle without problem or issues, and will continue to run. I have done this to see, then have installed the regulator on the ODS (which it is orange as well) and now have no problems with interruption of gas applicances. This is all for FYI."
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #25
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
So if Marshall hasn't made a C6121#2049 30 PSI regulator for two years, what has Montana been installing since then?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #26
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I don't know if this is related to this issue but over the 4th of July weekend this year, my LP system would not draw LP from the door side or drivers side tanks. A RV tech came out and found that there was a in line restrictor installed between the drivers side regulator and switchover device. He replaced this with a line with no restrictor and the problem was solved! Now the system operates great with no auto switchover or flow problems from either side. There was no restrictor installed on the door side (I had him pull it and check)
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 AM   #27
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
So after following this thread I decided to take a look at mine. Although it looks cheap(not like a Marshall) it has a sticker on it that says 30psi. Maybe the factory switched at some point?
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote