Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
3750FL Air Matteress

Took our first long distance trip this past week, camping with my son and his new Springdale in Southern Mississippi. Had a great time but ran into a confusing issue. My daughter and her husband came to spend a few nights with us, and thought GREAT, I'll get a chance to test the couch bed air matteress. So I unfold the couch, read the directions for the air matteress, plug in the built in air pump, and within minutes the matteress is ready. First issue, the couch described in the instructions is not the one installed in the 3750FL. Does not have the additional pull out/fold out so that the matteress fits as described (one end toward the window, other end facing living area). Second issue, matteress does not fit length wise without either your feet or head elevated on the arm rests of the couch. I must have spent 20 minutes crawling around inside this "hide-a-bed" looking for an either an additional extension/pull-out to the couch or trying to fiqure out what I missed in the instructions.
Any help appreciated, as the only thing I can fiqure out is they installed the wrong couch/hide-a-bed.

Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Check the mattress, if it is a queen size, you have been given the wrong one to go with the bed. The mattress is actually supposed to lay parallel with the couch. Now, with all this said, even the "proper" size mattress rides up on the couch arms and is too close to the blinds for my comfort. I temporarily solved the issue by using the mattress in a perpendicular orientation to the couch and support the end of the mattress that overhangs the fold out support with a couple of ottomans. I plan on "inventing" some form of extension with folding legs that will attach to the existing frame to support what I feel should be the proper usage of the mattress. The company that makes it, Flair Interiors, did send me a replacement mattress that is smaller than the Queen size that came with our rig and paid for return shipping and everything, but all in all, it is a bad design. I think we are better off using the dang thing on the floor, or coming up with our own solution, which is what I plan to do.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
Thanks Bingo. I kinda figured I would have to come up with an add-on extension, and already took some measurements. At this point I was thinking I could make the extension out of think gauge PVC, and only glue the horizontal frame member together and leave the PVC leg extentions loose so I can actually store it under the couch when not in use.
Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Better look under the couch first!! The couch actually sits on a ledge. My plan was a piece of plywood with folding legs and I still have to figure out how to attach it to the existing extension. I was planning on storing it behind the couch and hopefully beneath the pocket that stores the air mattress.
Bingo
Old 07-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
It's disturbing that a person pays that much money for a rig and Keystone sends it out the door with a major component that doesn't fit/work correctly. I'd be a P.O.'d squeaky wheel if it were me.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
What is a person to do? The design does not work. Do we rely on the dealer or Keystone to address the situation and hope the resolution is a satisfactory one?? Or possibly make the best out of a bad situation and come up with a solution that we know will work right off the bat. I prefer the latter, but then I always take things as a personal challenge. I might give the dealer and Keystone a chance to resolve the situation, but I have a hunch that I and others can come up with a better, more workable solution. After all is said and done, I have always been a strong proponent of "if you want it done right, do it yourself." Must be the engineer in me that is always looking for a challenge and the satisfaction of a solution that I prefer, not someone else's attempt at a solution when they are only interested in a "cheap fix."
Bingo
Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bingo, Can you say "Patent Pending"?????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Bingo, Can you say "Patent Pending"?????
Some twenty years or so ago when wheel lift tow trucks were coming into their own, some brainiac realized that the "L" arms on wheel lifts (all brands used some dirivitive) had not been patented. Did it and made himself and the co. he worked for very wealthy.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 AM   #9
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Like Bingo, we purchased a storage ottoman from JCPennys to support the end of the mattress. The ottoman worked great because we wanted a foot rest for the couch anyway. Yes, it was a little frustrating it was not engineered properly to begin with, but 90% of the time it is just my bride & I and the front bed is not needed.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #10
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
We received the wrong mattress, too, and Flair replaced it and covered the shipping. The correct mattress fits side window (head) to side window (toes). I seems to work ok. A tall person would have trouble. Problem with the new mattress is that it does not dis-inflate completely like the wrong one and is a pain to put away.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:52 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Joe,
My Flair replacement deflates with the pump that inflates the mattress?? It also cam with a stand alone pump that I do not use. I can't remember if there is a reverse switch or how it works but it deflates just as rapidly as it inflates and deflates completely??
Bingo
Old 07-20-2011, 03:12 AM   #12
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I use the built in pump. Mine did not come with a standalone pump. The built in pump only takes out about 75% of the air. Does your built in pump take out "all" of the air? Maybe I should call Flair.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:18 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Yes, the built in pump deflates the bed completely, flat as a board. Testing my memory here, but if I remember correctly, the black round nozzle on the pump gets turned and the pump then blows the air out of the bed?
Bingo
Old 07-20-2011, 04:18 AM   #14
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Correct....I will call Flair. Thanks~
Old 07-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #15
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
That was easy....contacted Flair and a new mattress is on the way. What a great company and outstanding support.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:47 AM   #16
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Got the new air bed and it works great. Completely deflates and now easy to store. Thanks, Flair.