Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Rain gutter leak

I am having a leak on my 3000RK on the wall between fridge and slide. It leaks down inside the wall and puddles on the floor. After searching to find where it was coming from I narrowed it down to the rain gutter! I pulled the plastic trim strip off and there is no visible place at all where there could be a leak. Keystone says I am past warranty but suggested I take pictures and place a claim. This is on a 2008 RK. There is absolutely no damage to roof at all. Anyone have any suggestion?

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
How about the fridge air grates on the outside of the camper?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
The fridge compartment is totally dry, no sign of any water at all.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Mine leaked the same place. The leak appeared on the rainy day we were towing. Found the foam like seal under the slide had come unglued and was allowing water in. Repaired with an adhesive but must keep applying a couple of times a year. Still searching for that perfect adhesive. When I get the unit out of storage next week I am going to try some formica adhesive ExNavyDiver suggested. Jim
Old 03-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Jim, I thought that was where mine was coming in too. We were in Portland Oregon last week and that rain and wind were some of the worst I have ever been in. I pulled up part of the carpet near the slide, that little angle part, and the foam underlay was not very wet but the carpet was. After further examination it was appearent the water was seeping in from between the wall paneling and the vinal flooring. This morning before leaving Portland I got up on a ladder and flooded the slide and all the gaskets around slide. I mean I really flooded it and absolutey no leakage. The I flooded up higher and flooded the main rain gutter and there came the water seeping out from the small space between the inside paneling and the final flooring. The water appearently is seeping down the interior wall area. I have found no solution yet, but did clear a few small leaves from the gutter.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:44 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Peel the vinyl insert out of the rain gutter extrusion in the area that you ran water over it. Check to see if the factory broke off a screw in the area when installing the gutter. If so dab RTV or similar on the broken screw and go ahead and dab all the screw heads in the area, then work the vinyl insert back on. I believe it's worth a try anyway ...
Also ... be sure there is no voids in the small bead of silicone along the top of the rain gutter where it mates against the rubber roof.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The adhesive jimcol is referring to is Weldwood Contact adhesive. You apply it to both areas and let it dry for an hour or two so that when you touch it none of it comes off on your fingers. Then just push the two surfaces together and press on them hard. Make sure that both surfaces are very clean and dry before applying the cement. Get it right the first time because removing this stuff is a BIOTCH!
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Thanks for all the tips, I will be doing more extensive testing this week as Monte is sitting in my driveway now.

I did peal the plastic trim back and all the screws are intact and tight.

Sometimes it doesn't leak sometimes it does. Maybe if gutter is plugged with a little leaf or whirlybird thingy .... I'll keep checking until I find the problem.