Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
noggs
Established Member

M.O.C. #10043
Frozen water line

I have a 2004 Montana 3650RK. This unit has a step down to the kitchen. I have been having problems with the water lines freezing. I can assume it is between the incoming city connection and the kitchen where the step down is as I do have water (cold) in the lav sink in the bedroom. I believe the freeze up is happening in the step down area of the kitchen floor because there is no heat duct in that area to help keep it protected from freezing.

Over the summer I removed the underbelly and installed 1 1/2 inch hard styrofoam panels to cover the water lines thinking this might take care of it but it did not.

I also removed the low point drain lines that are in the rear of the unit thinking this might also help. It did not. I still froze up today. I am in ohio.

Has any one with this unit had a similar problem and what did you do to rectify it? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
Craig

noggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I really can’t answer your question but it leads me to one…
…are you running the furnace, using portable heaters, both, what’s your set up?
Old 12-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
noggs
Established Member

M.O.C. #10043
I am doing both. I have two oil filled radiators to take the chill off and to supplement the furnace. Furnace has been running off and on on a regular basis. Hopefully this is allowing enough heat in the underbelly. But as I mentioned there are no ducts in the kitchen due to the step down, which I would not do again as it is also a real trip hazard.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I have same unit/same year...what have the temps been there ?
We've been in the teens at night the past few nights, but no problems at all...yet ! Our furnace runs very little, but I make sure it runs pretty regular...about every 1/2 hour it kicks on.

I haven't skirted yet, and unless I run into problems I don't intend to.

Even tho' we get pretty cold at night, every day is above freezing and with full sunshine we even have to open windows and vents sometimes during the day....maybe your problem is the partially the extended time under freezing temps?
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Craig I have a 06 3650rk but it does not have a step down to the kitchen and it has two heat vents in there. But I have had the galley tank valve to freeze 2 times this yr. I was running the furnace and a small electic heater. I am at home now so I plan to take down the back panel again and look to see what I can do to fix this. I think I need to put more insulation back there and ck for holes that need to be foamed up.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Craig, any way you can get behind that step area? If you could, you may be able to aim your electric heater in that area and get enough heat in that area. Maybe cut a hole behind the step down and put a cover on it when you don't need to access that area. Also make it easier to get to plumbing if heed be.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 AM   #7
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
After giving it some more thought, and re-reading your post I've got a few observations. First, it may be one line that is frozen. That would be the main supply line running under your kitchen floor...you mentioned you had cold in the bedroom sink. So that tells me the main supply to the kitchen area is frozen which also feeds the water heater. That one would be my focus...maybe it's in direct contact with the frame or something like that. The cold would easily conduct thru the water line where it's in contact. Also, I haven't removed my underbelly so I'm not sure, but on mine the most "powerful" heat register is the one blowing across the kitchen floor (it's mounted in the stepdown)..I'm wondering if you could put a "tee" of some sort under there, directing some of the heat under the kitchen floor. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. If it was me, I'd see if I could access that main line thru the underbelly, wrap it in heat tape with insulation over it, and leave the pigtail hanging out somehow so I could plug it in when needed.
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #8
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Hmmmmm . . . all good suggestions, but I felt it was simpler to just pull the unit to Florida. Only problem is that I'm parked in sight of Disney and as I look out at the frost on my truck I wonder what went wrong.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
noggs
Established Member

M.O.C. #10043
Thanks for the suggestions /thoughts guys.

Bill, Temps have been in the mid 20's during the day and low teens at night for several days. Your second post is where I was heading. I think it has to be the main feed from the city connection as I do have water in the lav and toilet. I have been under that part of the unit and added extra insulation but it did not fix the issue. I used the hard foam board to cover the lines rather than the foam tubes that wrap them because of space issues. My only thought now is that I will have to use heat tape and leave it hanging out as you point out.
Now I have to do this in these temps! Yeehaw.
Craig
Old 12-11-2010, 01:28 AM   #10
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We are in Montana and have our trailer skirted with a heater underneath at both ends....keeps it about 65 under there We also bought a insulated water hose at a rv dealer here for the outside hose. We just keep our water running a little just in case.....Good luck to you
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:13 AM   #11
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Craig, Any luck? We had similar problem a few years ago while in KS and CO. MOC said "Check low point drains behind curbside tires." I put a hair dryer on those and Voila! The drains stick down below the belly. Ice forms plugs that expand up, blocking water flow. I got pipe wrap insulation for them the next day. Good luck.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
noggs
Established Member

M.O.C. #10043
Chris. I did remove two low point drains at the rear of the unit. I did not see any others. I will look behind the tires and see if I have those as well. Thanks for the input.

Wendy, I have wanted to skirt mine but have not done it yet. What material did you use for the skirting?
Craig