Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Reese hitch high setting

When using my slider hitch the back of my Mor/ryde pin box was hitting the top of my tailgate on my 6 ft box, plus on sharp turns it was hitting the top of the rails for my box cover. I had one more adjustment on my Reese 16K hitch, so the hitch is now at the highest setting (1 inch higher than last setting). I'm now wondering since I am using the highest setting are things as strong/solid as before? I wasn't able to find any torquing information so I tightened the bolts as tight as I can.

I appreciate your feedback.

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Dave, sounds like the same setup I have. What model truck do you have? Mine is an '08 Ford F-350 4x4 short bed. I have the Reese 16K slider and a 2010 Monty 3150RL with MotRyde pin. So far I've not had any problems....it's close but not hitting. Mine is set at the upper max also.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Since the hitch is designed to support its weight rating within all its adjustable settings, there is no question that this will work at the highest or lowest setting, assuming you use the correct torque to hold everything in place. Just like too loose is not good, neither is too tight with all the stress and strain a hitch goes through, you don't want anything coming loose or breaking under too much torque.

On edit: Here's a web site that might show your hitch. Clicking on the installation instructions should show you what torque to use: http://www.reese-hitches.com/categor...eel_Hitches,87
(I think for the slider hardware it's 85 ft/lbs. for the non-slider it's 75 ft/lbs, but you probably want to confirm.)

Let us know what you find.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We just bought a 2009 Silverado in January. Installed the Reese slider in the bed Memorial Day weekend. My hitch has always been in the highest position; no problems. Like Art said, those holes are there to use. I have not hitched the fiver up yet, but by measuring I should have around 8" bed clearance. I was concerned as the 09 bed is 2" deeper than the 04 GMC. Pinbox can still be dropped an inch or so.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Will, my truck is a 2008 GMC with a Reese slider. The hitch was on the 2nd highest hole and I had approx. 6 inches clearance around the box. But the mor/ryde pin box is long, and the back seems to be lower. The problem is when you are on sloped ground it might hit the top of your tailgate. When I used the slider for the first time it moved back fine, but when I started to back at an angle the back of the pin box hit the top of my tailgate. Consider leaving your hitch at the highest setting. I raised mine yesterday, and the addditional 1 inch should fix the problem. Also, I have found that since the mor/ryde pin box is longer I don't need to use the slider.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote