Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Dri-Wash N Gard as a Cleaner & Poolish for Monty?

I am thinking about using the Dri-Wash & Gard product to clean and polsh Monty. Anyone have any experience or recommendations on its use? Your thoughts and remarks are greatly appreciated as always.

Jim

jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jsrang

I am thinking about using the Dri-Wash & Gard product to clean and polsh Monty. Anyone have any experience or recommendations on its use? Your thoughts and remarks are greatly appreciated as always.

Jim
I use it all the time, when I have it available. Another product I've used with great results is The Solution. It works much like Dri-Wash 'n Guard. Either product works great and is easy to apply.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have used the Dri-Wash for three years now ane wouldn't be without it...You don't have to use a lot of it so one bottle lasts a long time... We also like their household products, like carpet cleaner, duster etc.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Thank you Helen and Orv for your input. I decided to buy some Dri-Wash on line. I will be trying it shortly. It turns out that an on-line distributor is located here in Florida-Jacksonville. I discussed with him, which formula would work best for the gelcoat. If anyone wants to check it out on-line, just Google "Dri Wash" or you can PM me for the distributor specifics. Again, thanks for responding. This is an awesome forumn.

Jim
Old 05-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I have always used Mothers wak and cleaner as i buff it on and then its good all year , but a big job
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Can you use Dri-Wash on seriously dirty rigs without scratching the rig? And they use no water, correct? How do they work on non-flat surfaces, such as caulk around windows and moldings? How does it work for removing bugs from the nose?

I ask because while in Monument Valley for two weeks we accumulated a lot of fine red dust. The rig is very dirty. But, here in Santa Fe, we're told the city will not allow washing of rigs in rv parks, even just bucket washing. And this rig desperately needs washing. We're here until early June.

Orv, what's the other product you alluded to? Also no water?

I think Camping World sells the Dri-Wash, right? We'll be down there tomorrow.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be back on here to check replies before we head out for CW tomorrow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Steve,
Yes, you can use Dri-Wash 'n Guard on dirty rigs. I would hose the rig off first if it has some serious hanging mud on it. I've never had to use anything else to clean our rig when I use this product. I don't know if CW sells this product or the other one. But you can view the product on http://www.dri-wash.us/

The other product is called The Solution. If you go to http://super-seal.com/solution.asp you can read the particulars. I buy it by the gallon whenever I run across a distributor but you can buy it on the website.

Orv

Old 05-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Aw, shucks. The problem I have, Orv, is that in this park the park manager tells me the city has a law forbidding use of water to wash a rig in an rv park. So he says, anyhow. He says I cannot even bucket wash it. But I could do a waterless wash. Ours is dirty but not gritty.

I forgot to look when at CW today.

Jim, which product did he recommend for gelcoat? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:32 AM   #9
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Steve,

"Jim, which product did he recommend for gelcoat? Thanks."
[/quote]

Either "Classic" or "Ultra-Ion" works on gelcoat. Since I wanted to also use it on my TV, it was recommended that I use Ultra-Ion which is formulated for the newer clear-coated vehicles. It cost about $1/ounce plus shipping. A 32oz bottle plus spray applicator, should do Monty and 2 vehicles with some left over, according to my sources. Also, supposedly Ultra-Ion can be applied in direct sunlight. Classic is more difficult to remove if applied in the sun. For the reasons above and since it is diffult for me to apply in the Park w/o shade, I chose to purchase the Ultra-Ion product. I will be applying in the next 2-3 weeks and will let you know how it goes.

Jim
Old 05-15-2008, 02:32 AM   #10
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Steve, I have used dri-wash for serveral years now, on my trucks, and campers. Lots of campgrounds dont want you washing your rig with a hose. But, most will let you use a bucket of water. So I have a 5 gallon bucket, I fill with water,(no soap) and with a sponge I wipe down a section (if pretty dirty) and then use the dri wash. works for me.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Jim. I look forward to hearing your results. This stuff doesn't remove wax, does it?

Tom, I do the same, when allowed. My bucket is not five gallons, I don't think. Just an ordinary sized metal pail. Normally I use a brush, the bucket, and either ZipWax or Blue Coral's equivalent so it leaves a thin coat of wax.

This park, however, claims the city of Santa Fe (we're within city limits) prohibits washing of vehicles in an rv park even with just a bucket. They claim they get fined and I would, too. I do not know whether they are telling me the truth or just passing blame to save their water costs. The result is I cannot use water at all to clean this filthy rig in this park.

We had to take the rig to Albuquerque, yesterday. 134 miles round trip. The forecast was for rain. I was looking forward to a nice soft rain while driving just to clean off the bugs and the red dirt from Monument Valley. Naturally, all we got was some light sprinkles that made things worse. Today, when we're again stationary, we're getting the soft rain. But it's not enough to clean off the rig to any noticeable degree. For once I'm not groaning about the chance for rain while towing and not worrying about it dirtying the rig and, of course, it doesn't rain.

Thanks for the info on Dri-gard. I'll check it out.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #12
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Steve,
[quote]Originally posted by sreigle

Thanks, Jim. I look forward to hearing your results. This stuff doesn't remove wax, does it?

(See response below from Dri-Wash)

"Can DRI WASH 'n GUARD® be applied over other waxes and polishes?

Yes. It will cut through any wax or polish and leave a brilliant, bonded layer of protection"

Jim
Old 05-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Tom, I do the same, when allowed. My bucket is not five gallons, I don't think. Just an ordinary sized metal pail. Normally I use a brush, the bucket, and either ZipWax or Blue Coral's equivalent so it leaves a thin coat of wax.

This park, however, claims the city of Santa Fe (we're within city limits) prohibits washing of vehicles in an rv park even with just a bucket. They claim they get fined and I would, too. I do not know whether they are telling me the truth or just passing blame to save their water costs. The result is I cannot use water at all to clean this filthy rig in this park.

We had to take the rig to Albuquerque, yesterday. 134 miles round trip. The forecast was for rain. I was looking forward to a nice soft rain while driving just to clean off the bugs and the red dirt from Monument Valley. Naturally, all we got was some light sprinkles that made things worse. Today, when we're again stationary, we're getting the soft rain. But it's not enough to clean off the rig to any noticeable degree. For once I'm not groaning about the chance for rain while towing and not worrying about it dirtying the rig and, of course, it doesn't rain.

Thanks for the info on Dri-gard. I'll check it out.
Im curious do you know if the city prohibits it because of water use? Can you use a soft brush and some soap or detergent in the rain without a bucket? I watched the video on dri wash's website, although I have no experience with it, it appears to me to be very similar to many of the quick detailers on the market. I use turtle wax ice and 2 micro fiber towels. No need for a water wash unless its really filty. you can do the glass, rubber etc with it. I did my wifes very difficult to care for black 2005 nissan and it looked as good as the day we bought it.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Snownyet, I have no idea why they prohibit it. I'm not even positive the park manager wasn't feeding me a line to shift "blame" for the no washing rules off himself. I think I'll do a little googling tonight to see if I can find anything on this.

Wow, that research didn't take long. Google is amazing. I found some very interesting things about Santa Fe water regulations...
-----
14. Am I allowed to wash my car at my house?
Yes, you can wash your car at home. Vehicle washing is limited to once per month, per vehicle. The use of a positive shut-off nozzle is required.
-----
15. Am I allowed to hose off or power wash my driveway or sidewalk?
No, using water to clean hard surfaces with a hose or power washer is prohibited (e.g. driveways, sidewalks, parking lots, outdoor eating areas).
-----
18. How often are Hotel/Motels allowed to change the sheets and towels?
Lodging facilities can not change the sheets and towels more than once every four (4) days for guests staying more than one night.
-----
Is the City giving away low-flush toilets?
The City administers a program through the Water Budget Administrative Office (WBAO) which provides for free replacement of "high-flush" toilets with low-flush models in residential homes.
----

With this cursory look I see nothing about rv parks but they obviously are serious about water conservation. So I'll not question it further.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #15
Diamond
Established Member

M.O.C. #715
Have never used Dri-Wash or The Solution before so have a question to ask. We were in a terrible windstorm in Texas that carried dirt and some ash from Mexico with it. After washing and then polishing our Monty with our usual products, we seem to have a film/haze over the entire rig that the normal washing/waxing did not remove. Do you think that Dri-Wash or The Solution might break through the haze? We are desperate to bring our Big Sky back to its "ole shiny self".

Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:34 AM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Diamond

Have never used Dri-Wash or The Solution before so have a question to ask. We were in a terrible windstorm in Texas that carried dirt and some ash from Mexico with it. After washing and then polishing our Monty with our usual products, we seem to have a film/haze over the entire rig that the normal washing/waxing did not remove. Do you think that Dri-Wash or The Solution might break through the haze? We are desperate to bring our Big Sky back to its "ole shiny self".

Either product will work satisfactorily.

Orv