Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2007, 02:16 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quick question: Slideouts manually...

Something made me think if this the other day. If my slideouts ever fail - electrically - I can manually extend/retract using the 1/4" Hex drive on the end of my pump motor. Hole is sealed at the factory that can be broken.

Which way do you turn this screw to extend and which way to retract? It does not tell you which way is which... clockwise or counterclockwise... only arrows () to turn one way or the other - doesn't say which way does what.

I didn't want to play around too much while rigged up. Didn't want to accidentally create any leaks on any slides by moving anything slightly. Anyone know this? Just curious. Thought I'd ask here before calling Keystone?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:00 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes Dave you can do that..You can break the seal...the seal police will not drag you off to jail. It is a good idea to set up a drill and bit that will fit as that is a small space. I also do not know which way is which so my plan was to turn it one way and if nothing happens turn it the other way. And..Where are you guys??? We are home for about another 4 hours then we are off again.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:43 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You could crawl under there and have the Mrs. run one in a little to see.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

That's something I reserve to figure out if I ever have that emergency. Don't think it hurts to go the wrong way for a short time while you figure it out.

BTW - I picked up a coleman cordless drill at CW with my gift card. $39 or $49, don't remember, but wow - 2 18V batteries, reversible variable speed + 2 speed + clutch. One heck of a drill for that price. Also got the socket for the rear stabilizer jacks, slider motor bit, and our electric awning has last resort terminals on the motor that let you roll it up with the drill battery if necessary. Our Monty came with the plug in the basement so I can recharge whenever we're on AC.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi All,

It will only work if the Elect. side of the pump has failed. If the Hyd. side has failed this won't do anything.
You would need to disconnect the Hyd. lines and either push the slide in or use a wrench on the square tube under the slide to bring it in.
If we ever had to do this be sure to hook the Hyd. lines back up to prevent the slides from comming out while going down the road.

Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Why not just get under the slide and turn the drive bar with a wrench to retract the slide?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote