Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Dead Bolt Lock

Has any one added a dead bolt lock to their door ? I have a concern that the off the line door lock is too easily accessed and would like to install a dead bolt above the current lock. I have checked with a local lock shop and they tell me they don't think it can be done and will research it however that was 3 weeks ago and 2 visits to the shop and the are still researching the lock.

Thank you
John and Dorothy

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:07 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
The lock on the door handle is the lock that any dealer can open as it a lock similar to the underbelly lock.
The lock beneath the door latch is a deadbolt and is supposed to be a one key only type lock. Others may offer more.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:29 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Bill is correct. In my short stint as an RV salesman I was given a master key that would fit any RV as long as it was locked using the lock on the door handle. If it was locked with the dead bolt, lock below the handle, I could not access the inside of the rig. Now the keys to the compartments is an entirely different matter. One key fits 90% of the RV compartments.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:02 AM   #4
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Bill and Glenn both correct. That lock is a deadbolt. And it's not keyed the same as the rest of an RV's locks. So adding another lock would only be making unnecessary holes in the Monty, and netting you hardly anything.

But when it all washes out, has anyone seen a lock that actually stops a determined thief?

If you really want to avoid allowing the ethically-challenged riff-raff having un-authorized fun with your stuff, try looking into re-keying the basement doors.

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gojodo

Has any one added a dead bolt lock to their door ? I have a concern that the off the line door lock is too easily accessed and would like to install a dead bolt above the current lock. I have checked with a local lock shop and they tell me they don't think it can be done and will research it however that was 3 weeks ago and 2 visits to the shop and the are still researching the lock.

Thank you
John and Dorothy
The locksmith is blowing smoke about the lock and it's instalation,

Installing a lock on a RV type door can be a challange for any good locksmith. the reason is they have a lip that has a gasket, and it is off set on the center of the jamb and the door when closed. if the DB has not allowed for this when the bolt is projected and goes into the jamb there wont be enugh meat there to secure the door as a residential install your door is 1 and 1/4" thick, if you drill a 7/8" or 3/4" hole in the door to accept the bolt it will be hitting the glued on skin of the door, the bolt into the jamb will also be a challange and the results could be fatel to the outer surface of the trailer ( a hole )
the last thing is if they want to access your RV and borrow your stuff they can go through the hamper from the basement.
I believe the on board DB is very good nobody has a key for it except you. and meybe 100 or so more scattered around the USA.
Figure it out 6 wafers with 4 depts each maybe 5. 6x4=24x4=96x4=384x4=1536x4=6144x4=24576 usable codes thats why they change the keyway they use the same codes all over again for each keyway change, and thats for all Keystone RV's or whoever else uses that brand lock.
save youself a lot of headakes and stick with what you have it works very good.

TT2
Old 07-15-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
If the door lock and the dead bolt are keyed differently, why was I given only one key for my door? I swapped out by basement keys for the ace locks. While you have a similiar problem with the general use of the locks, I have seen very few that use them.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:32 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

If the door lock and the dead bolt are keyed differently, why was I given only one key for my door? I swapped out by basement keys for the ace locks. While you have a similiar problem with the general use of the locks, I have seen very few that use them.
Mike If they gave you only one key and it works BOTH locks, the lever, and dead bolt. you are OK the dealer has a pass key that only works the lever lock ONLY. they do not have the dead bolt set up with a master or an override key. they do have a control key that will allow the cylinder core to be removed but I have not seen anybody with that capability yet.

TT2
Old 07-16-2006, 05:31 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Well Ed removed our cylinder for the dead bolt - by accident and we can't get it back in. He used the wrong key to open the door and the cylinder came right out. We have both tried to get it back in numerous times but no luck so far. The dead bolt still works from the inside. We will probably have to get a locksmith to fix it.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:32 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Well Ed removed our cylinder for the dead bolt - by accident and we can't get it back in. He used the wrong key to open the door and the cylinder came right out. We have both tried to get it back in numerous times but no luck so far. The dead bolt still works from the inside. We will probably have to get a locksmith to fix it.
Happy trails...........................
That was at the Reno Rally wasn't it , I thought you got it fixed.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:07 AM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
You got it Don and we have tried and tried ever since. No one has stolen anything (yet). There has got to be a trick to this.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:44 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

You got it Don and we have tried and tried ever since. No one has stolen anything (yet). There has got to be a trick to this.
Happy trails........................
I'll ask a good friend of mine who has a shop and see if he can help with some sugestions, or at least get us a manufacture address with a phone number.

Don
Old 07-18-2006, 11:59 PM   #12
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry about Dead Bolt locks. You have been very helpful. I will encourage my husband to change the basement locks.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:40 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Things to consider about changing the compartment locks. Take a look at the construction of the compartment doors. You can cut through them with a finger nail clipper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote