Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2006, 04:44 AM   #1
Montana_2387

M.O.C. #2387
FROSTY AC

Our AC has been freezing up lately; we can actually hear the ice breaking off of it sometimes. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and knows a remedy or if we have to get a new unit?

Montana_2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:13 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
What unit do you have? How old is the unit? Is it still under warranty? Do you run on high speed fan? Do you have that remote thingy? Lots of questions to answer that will help others answer you. This is also being discussed on several threads right now, try using the search feature at the top of the page.

Let us know, so the A/C experts can give you some ideas.

Good luck

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:31 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Must have proper ventilation.We run ours on auto and have no problems.Try keeping the fantastic fan running.Hot air rises and we must allow the hot air to escape.Think about the local super markets floor freezers..no cover and the temp is around zero yet 4 or 5 feet above the freezer were you are it is 70 degrees... Without proper and good ventilation the A/C will freeze up. Give it a try...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yep,
High speed, clean filters, try opening the 'Dump damper if you have one, if it doesn't freeze up using that for 2 hrs. or so, it's air movement that is the problem, as in not using high speed, or restricted airflow.
You could probably get away with medium or even low speed if you did not use the ducting, that is a bunch of restriction on the airflow.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Ajjoes

You didn't mention what rv you had or year model. What ever it is there are about 3-4 reason why this would happen.
1. Air flow like was mentioned
2. Could be low on freon
3. It could have a partially stopped up captube.
4. if you have it on auto and the fan cycles of but the compressor could still be on and is steadally pummping gas into your evaporator and that could mean a stuck relay.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I am reading my Dometic instruction booklet and it states if your green led is flashing one second on and one second off then your frost control system is active. The light has other functions to do with high and low voltage and you can read about them in your instruction booklet.

I have one of the few remotes made that works if I leave it in the holder across from the receiver. When I use the remote to run my A/C the green light stays on steady indicating that cooling is on with no frost control. If I press the over ride cool button on the receiver the system sets for 74 degrees and the green button flashes on and off indicating the frost control is active. Try this , it should solve your problem, and the over ride only runs the fan on high.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Duotherm air conditioners are infamous for freezing up when fan is on low and ambient conditions include high humidity. We never run ours on low and never have freezeup problems with our AC despite midwest and east coast high humidity this time of year.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We just had ours in shop and they said ours had a piece of tape hanging down somewhere up there near or around AC. They said that was doing something to the air flow. It is working OK now.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote