Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
cwestberry

M.O.C. #21703
AC question

Hello. Camping newbie. BOUGHT 3921FB in Nov. Bedroom is over the fifth wheel and noticed it was cooler than the rest of the camper but didn't worry about it in south georgia. We don't have much COLD weather. Summer has been a different story and I can't cool the bedroom bath areas. 2 AC units with double duct whisper quiet system
Noticed that the inner wall is cold and cold air is coming out of the wall into the thermostat. Under the bottom in the same wall comes down that wall into the under carriage area. That's the wall that the wires have to travel to go to the panel box.
1. Is that normal? I think there is a gap in the ductwork but can't see it
2. Is it normal that the hot air from the under carriage comes in when the AC unit is on. There is a grated cover under each of the two steps going into the bed room that is open to bugs and outside non heated/ cooled air?
cwestberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20477
Welcome to the forum!

Make sure you are keeping your storage area doors closed as it also gets a/c and heat from the furnace when its cold. The grates under the steps go into the storage area but not the outside. Are you getting cool air out of the vent in the bathroom?
"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
cwestberry

M.O.C. #21703
There is very little air in the bathroom the furthest up front area. This unit has a half bath that sits right next to the "cold" wall and it is very cool in there. Is the air supposed to go down that wall to cool the panel box?
The return air coming in from under the steps is hot 95 with outside temp. Those outside doors are never open. Seems like it makes the unit work too hard to cool off its pulling in hot outside air. I understand the need for fresh outside air to keep down Carbon monoxide with heat in the winter so it didn't worry me. I really think that there is something wrong with the duct. I just don't want to take it in and then they keep on for weeks

Thanks
Old 09-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
DQDick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11455
First thing I would check is to see if the ducts are aligned and taped properly under the unit. To do that you, or your dealer have to remove the unit to see. It sounds like cold air is missing part of the ductwork and coming out in the ceiling and then down the wall. As to the vents under the stairs, you can take some foam board and block those off in the summer, but remember to remove the foam board in the winter as that is the return air for the furnace.
3rd AC, Bathroom door mod, etc.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:38 AM   #5
cwestberry

M.O.C. #21703
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I have learned a lot in the past few months. Hubby is very mechanically inclined but wants me to have someone look at it. I have been avoiding the dealer as they were less than helpful once I signed the check to buy it. Just wanted to make sure it really was abnormal. BTW. I covered the vent the night before I posted and it was at least 10 degrees cooler yesterday.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:07 AM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21044
AC in 3921fb

We also noticed the half bath was always cold enough to hang meat. We leave the half bath door open slightly and I put a small fan on the vanity top to circulate the cold air out of the meat locker and into the living room. This helps a bunch.

I checked all the ducts at the returns and everything is properly taped and sealed and there are no collapsed ducts. I put both ACs on high and set the thermostat low so they run and don't cycle off. I pointed the two rear ceiling registers toward the ceiling fan and We keep the ceiling fan in the living room going and we have a dyson fan rotating to blow on us in the easy chairs and the dogs on the couch (the elderly female Fern really likes the dyson!). On 100 degree days in Texas the best we get is about 80 degrees in the living room but it is tolerable with air movement from the fans. If I keep the ACs on high thru the night the coach cools down to low 60s. Of course it helps a lot if we get a shaded site. DW also keeps a small fan in the front bath and I have a cover over the shower skylight. The air movement with the fans makes a big difference. I suppose it would be nice if the whole coach would cool to the low 70s on a 100 degree day - but overall we have been satisfied with the performance. We especially like to sleep COLD and we get that every night!
+ two cute Aussies Gus+Fern
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #7
cwestberry

M.O.C. #21703
Thanks. Covering the open areas below the steps for the past 3 days has been the best thing yet. Hot and humid today and much cooler than last week before this step. I popped the cover off the little bathroom vent and put plastic wrap (saran wrap) over the whole. That helped a bunch and it still stays nice in there. I'm still going to get the unit off the top and check the ducts. AND I love my Dyson fan/heater

I was thinking if the fan ran continuously it would overheat the system causing failure earlier than its normal lifetime expectation
Old 09-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21044
[QUOTE=cwestberry;1116400 I was thinking if the fan ran continuously it would overheat the system causing failure earlier than its normal lifetime expectation[/QUOTE]

Years ago we bought a jayco and during the PDI the tech told me “This is how I run my AC when I camp - I put it on high and set it as cold as it will go and let her rip”. Of course I am in TX but I have followed that advice for years...put it on high and let her rip!
+ two cute Aussies Gus+Fern
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airconditioner