Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
Bohowanderlust
Established Member

M.O.C. #20222
Electrical Current on Steps

Hello everyone, We are fairly new to this group so I hope I'm posting this in the right place We own a 2017 High Country Montana 340BH, purchased new off the lot 5 months ago in April.

Has anyone ever experienced being shocked when stepping up into their Montana? We arrived at our current campground on Monday...after plugging in and leveling...I went to drop down the steps and our dog approached the steps before me and yelped...at the time I thought she may have been stung by a bee or stepped on something that hurt her. I didn't realized she was shocked until last Thursday when our son and dog were shocked as they came into the RV. The dog stepped on the step and yelped from the shock and my son who was wearing sandals touched the side of the Side Out and was also shocked on his hand. We are also experiencing the microwave/kitchen outlet tripping the OUTSIDE breaker switch. The inside breakers are not tripping. We are also plugged into a 30 amp post which we are using a 50 to 30 converter, which we have done before...and are aware of our indoor usages.

We posted to our FB group and was given some advice as to check electrical connection, check the surge protector, check all grounding pins, check pins at rear of RV, purchase a plug in electrical tester and tested all outlet. Which we did and found nothing wrong. We called into the RV park and they came out and tested the post...all checked out normal. We called in a mobile RV repair service on Friday and they went through the Converter box and found nothing out of the norm. Since the shock has been intermittent and we were unable to reproduce it he concluded that there is a short "somewhere" in our RV. And said since it's fairly new, sometimes during manufacturing a screw can accidentally be touching a wire.

We are currently miles from our dealer...and we are already scheduled to have some other repairs done with them in two weeks...which I have to say I am extremely surprised of the amount of repairs that have to be attended to already and we've only owned it 5 months, compared to a 10 year old trailer we traded in for this.

Anyway, I did a search and haven't found any other posts of this nature and thought I'd ask to see if anyone has experienced this and what was the outcome of their findings. Thanks in advance for your help!

Luna Bella ~ 2017 Montana HC 340BH
Bohowanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Sounds like a bad ground
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Bad ground is what it sounds like. A loose connection somewhere. We had the same thing going on in our old home place. A new ground rod solved the problem.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Do you have a good EMS or just a Surge Protector? If there is any type of problem a good EMS should catch it and shut down power to the Unit.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
Good Life
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19869
This was reported by someone else that there bumper was hot! Another example of the lack of quality control at Keystone!
2016 3721RL
Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bobby-- I don't think it would have been caught by QC at the plant because I don't think they plug the units in when they come off the line. I should have been caught however by the dealer and during the PDI that they should have been given upon the purchase. The only other reason would be that one of the grounding wires in the unit has come loose during transport after the sale.
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
That condition is commonly called "hot skin". And is typically due to a bad green wire safety ground. If you have a good safety ground thru your power cord to a park pedastal that has a good safety ground you should not have "hot skin". A fairly common occurance based on postings on the subject. And typically is a problem with the power cord, adapter, or power source rather than the trailer.

It could be caused by a bad ground wire connection inside your power cord, a bad ground wire connection in your 50/30 adapter, a bad ground wire connection where your power cord terminates at your trailer, or a bad ground at the park pedastal. You can buy a very inexpensive outlet testers at Home Depot. Just plug it in an outlet and three lights on it will tell if your wiring diagrams s correct. If it shows an open ground, then you will need to find the break.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Gea...FRBLAQodbPMNJA
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
Bohowanderlust
Established Member

M.O.C. #20222
Is the Rod easily replaced or does it need to be done by a RV repair place?
Old 09-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
Bohowanderlust
Established Member

M.O.C. #20222
We purchased this one for our RV:
Progressive Industries SSP50X Smart Surge Protector - 240V/50A I'm not sure if it's a good EMS...it was highly recommended and pricey.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #10
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
We had the same problem with our first Montana. I put the key into the front garage door and ZAP. Having an electrical background, I traced the problem to a campground grounding issue (open ground). At the time I did not have electrical or surge protection (one of our first trips as newbies). But purchased it as soon as we got home from that trip. Now when I hook up, I first check the campground power, then connect it to the unit. I also have a testing device which will check for minute to large voltages on the frame.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #11
Bohowanderlust
Established Member

M.O.C. #20222
BB TX...as I mentioned above we visually looked at the power cord, both ends to make sure the ground pins were good, we also looked at the pins at butt end of trailer. We had RV park attendant check the post all "looks" good. But I have no idea how to test if there's a short in the cords or in the rig.

Also, as I mentioned it was recommended to us to purchase an outlet tester by our FB group peers, we did, it looks like the one you shared...all the outlets in the RV checked out fine. We are perplexed by this...we just aren't able to find it on our own.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #12
Bohowanderlust
Established Member

M.O.C. #20222
Thanks everyone for your suggestions...Seems we've pretty much covered all the suggestions aside from the grounding rod. We don't know where to begin or if we have to have the dealer take care of it once we are there.

~We have had the post/pedestal at the campground checked
~We visually checked all the grounding pins, cords, RV rear pins, adaptor etc
~Our Progressive Industries SSP50X Smart Surge Protector - 240V/50A indicates everything is good to go
~We used an outlet tester on every outlet in the RV that we can access
~We had an RV repair guy check out the Converter Box...checked out fine

The only thing left seems to be that grounding rod.

One a side note: We have been living full time in it since we purchased it in April...we have never had this issue til now. When we purchased it and did a walk through they did have it plugged in and there wasn't an issue then either. May be something has come loose like RONDO suggested.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:27 AM   #13
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
This is really dangerous. Go to www.noshockzone.org for some help!
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:01 AM   #14
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
Since you have a known problem with the kitchen outlet have a electric repairman start there. As the saying goes there is never enough time to do it right but always enough to do it over.
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:04 AM   #15
Good Life
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19869
Quality Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Bobby-- I don't think it would have been caught by QC at the plant because I don't think they plug the units in when they come off the line. I should have been caught however by the dealer and during the PDI that they should have been given upon the purchase. The only other reason would be that one of the grounding wires in the unit has come loose during transport after the sale.
Take the time to remove one of the bulkhead panels loose in your basement-4 screws, and peek under there with a light, you will wonder why/how your camper hasn't burned to the ground! Total lack of pride or Q/C!
High and low voltage wiring strewn everywhere,connections not enclosed,ductwork wrapped with wires! Shotty work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1791.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1792.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1793.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1794.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	574  
2016 3721RL
Old 09-11-2017, 10:34 PM   #16
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You will not be installing a ground rod, that was only mentioned as the solution for the other person's house, not his RV. I don't think any park will want you driving a ground rod every time you set your rig up. We had a failed ground prong on our shore cable plug earlier this year, couldn't figure out why our PI device would not close in. Thought it was in the pedestal, but finally while connecting and disconnecting plugs, found the ground prong still in the 30 to 50 amp adapter. The problem can be anywhere from inside the pedestal, all the way into the RV panel, a loose connection or a broken part or cable.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #17
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Sounds like a defective power cable to me...issue where ground connection is being pulled out of the connection inside the cable at the female end that plugs into the rv. I would take that end of the cable apart and make sure connections are fully seated and tight. If they are, I would cut the cable shorter by about a foot and re-install the connector. Or buy a new power cable.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #18
Good Life
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohowanderlust View Post
Hello everyone, We are fairly new to this group so I hope I'm posting this in the right place We own a 2017 High Country Montana 340BH, purchased new off the lot 5 months ago in April.

Has anyone ever experienced being shocked when stepping up into their Montana? We arrived at our current campground on Monday...after plugging in and leveling...I went to drop down the steps and our dog approached the steps before me and yelped...at the time I thought she may have been stung by a bee or stepped on something that hurt her. I didn't realized she was shocked until last Thursday when our son and dog were shocked as they came into the RV. The dog stepped on the step and yelped from the shock and my son who was wearing sandals touched the side of the Side Out and was also shocked on his hand. We are also experiencing the microwave/kitchen outlet tripping the OUTSIDE breaker switch. The inside breakers are not tripping. We are also plugged into a 30 amp post which we are using a 50 to 30 converter, which we have done before...and are aware of our indoor usages.

We posted to our FB group and was given some advice as to check electrical connection, check the surge protector, check all grounding pins, check pins at rear of RV, purchase a plug in electrical tester and tested all outlet. Which we did and found nothing wrong. We called into the RV park and they came out and tested the post...all checked out normal. We called in a mobile RV repair service on Friday and they went through the Converter box and found nothing out of the norm. Since the shock has been intermittent and we were unable to reproduce it he concluded that there is a short "somewhere" in our RV. And said since it's fairly new, sometimes during manufacturing a screw can accidentally be touching a wire.

We are currently miles from our dealer...and we are already scheduled to have some other repairs done with them in two weeks...which I have to say I am extremely surprised of the amount of repairs that have to be attended to already and we've only owned it 5 months, compared to a 10 year old trailer we traded in for this.

Anyway, I did a search and haven't found any other posts of this nature and thought I'd ask to see if anyone has experienced this and what was the outcome of their findings. Thanks in advance for your help!
Why not bring it to your dealer for service?
2016 3721RL
Old 09-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #19
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former StClairSailor View Post
We had the same problem with our first Montana. I put the key into the front garage door and ZAP. Having an electrical background, I traced the problem to a campground grounding issue (open ground). At the time I did not have electrical or surge protection (one of our first trips as newbies). But purchased it as soon as we got home from that trip. Now when I hook up, I first check the campground power, then connect it to the unit. I also have a testing device which will check for minute to large voltages on the frame.
^^^^^THIS^^^^

Campground should dispatch an electrician immediately to you because they do not want to be liable. They will confirm their issue our yours.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #20
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Votage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohowanderlust View Post

I had a similar experience. Turn out theat the electric element in the water heater was burned out and allowing a little voltage to ground. Not enough to trip breaker but sometime a ground fault would trip when lplugged in to 30 amp. You water heater would be running on propane instead of elect. I put a new element and all was well.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, shock