Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #21
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Cross winds above 30-32mph will keep me grounded.

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #22
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I, like someone else above, had my steps coming down as I drove down the highway a few years ago. We had about 35-45 mph front/side wind. I was tooling down a 4 lane in iowa, and a guy pulls along side and sticks a piece of paper up on the passenger side. It said 'STEPS'. I looked in mirror and they were down.
Good thing this good samaritan helped me, because they were working on the highway bridges. Each bridge about 2-5 miles apart were narrowed to 1 lane each way with those cement barricades. I think they had signs about 10 ft width or such. I figure with the steps down I was probably 9 1/2 or 10 and of course you need at least a foot on each side. So I could of had a nasty experience.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #23
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Yep today in Boulder City, NV, we had a fierce thunder storm go right over the RV park, and we had just finished arriving in 82 degree sunshine, and as soon as I got in, the wind went from 15 to probably 40-50 mph gusts, and the temp dropped to 52, and the red color on the radar sent tons of rain and thunder and lightening, and I got to wondering how much wind will tip a 5th wheel over while it is in an RV park with all 6 jacks down etc.?
Old 04-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #24
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
Yep today in Boulder City, NV, we had a fierce thunder storm go right over the RV park, and we had just finished arriving in 82 degree sunshine, and as soon as I got in, the wind went from 15 to probably 40-50 mph gusts, and the temp dropped to 52, and the red color on the radar sent tons of rain and thunder and lightening, and I got to wondering how much wind will tip a 5th wheel over while it is in an RV park with all 6 jacks down etc.?
We were in the tropical storm zone of Hurricane Matthew - 50 to 72 mph winds. We were setup into the wind, jacks down, slides in, and fresh water tank full. Came through in good shape.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #25
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
Vipermanden,

Curious, you are obviously above GVWR 15,000#. Did you get your non-commercial class A, or do you just gut it out?
I am not 100% on this as I did some research a few years ago on double trailering. What I found out then was you were bound to the laws of the state your tag is. IE I am florida based so I cant double trailer but whatever state it is legal to double in is o.k. to do in florida as long as your from a state that its legal in.
So I wouldn't think you would have to worry about California laws on trailering as long as your legal in the state your registered in. obviously you have to obey speed and traffic laws and weight restrictions on the roads but as far as licesining I wouldn't worry about it.
oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/Image/iwx/pu...Wind_Chart.pdf

Most folks are not very good at estimating wind speed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #27
bwright
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17756
Pulled today in 35 mph gusts, no problem. I am sure that the winds in the West and Midwest are much more formidable.
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #28
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
can`t make this stuff up

Is this what your worried about? don`t know the wind speed but I would think a gust was the final straw.

bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:21 AM   #29
warsw
Established Member

M.O.C. #13256
We have driven in 65 mph wind hammering us from the side. It had two semis on their sides. It was a white knuckle experience. We were heading to Death Valley and ended up stopping and staying in Fallon NV. They ended up closing the road south of Fallon due to high winds. I hope I never encounter winds like that again. Up to 35 MPH side winds aren't too bad. Above that it is no longer fun and above 60 it starts to become dangerous IMHO.
warsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:49 AM   #30
Army Nurse
Established Member

M.O.C. #17456
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
If we see the 18 wheelers getting off the road or weaving we also get off.
That's a good idea. I start looking for a place to park when the trucks slow down and start swaying in front of me.

For everyone who thinks their setup or driving skill is makes them immune to the effects of the wind, just remember this... All the ones who have been flipped along the roadside thought the same thing just a few seconds before.

2014 Ram 3500 - DRW - 4x4 - 6.7L - 68RFE - B&W Companion
2015 Montana High Country 340BH
Army Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote