Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
EricHarmon
Established Member

M.O.C. #19325
Selling a Montana?

I hate to ask this question, as we haven't even purchased our first Montana yet. However, my wife insists that I ask. Let's say after a year or two of full-timing, we decide it isn't for us, or (God forbid) one of us has health problems. There will be no issue for us to trade the tow vehicle in for a car, but my wife wants to know if anyone has experience selling a Montana.

We're not talking about trading it into a RV dealer for a newer model; I wouldn't expect any issue there. We're talking about "We just don't want this any more". I've looked up average depreciation rates and so forth, but that's all theoretical.

Has anyone here ever tried to sell a Montana, and if so, how long did it take and did you receive a reasonable amount for it? Thank you in advance for any experiences you're willing to share.

EricHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Eric, First realize there is about 40% mark up in a Montana. Buy it right, if it is in decent condition and priced right, it will sell.

IF you buy and pay like 17-20% off and finance it, you will be upside down if you have to sell in a coupe of years and will have to take money out of your pocket to get out under the loan.

If you have never RV'ed before, maybe buying used could be a option, again if you buy it right.

Remember, there is no free lunch.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If you keep your unit up and in good condition, you will be able to sell it with no problems. There are various ways of doing so and can even be advertised here on the Forum under the specific area. Montana's have a good resale value.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
When you decide on a floor plan (or two), google that floorplan and see advertised prices nationwide. You will likely find floorplan A advertised anywhere from an MSRP of $90,000 to an "our sale price" of $65,000. And often after that sale price, there will be an additional statement "call for our lowest price". You can use the lowest price you find as bargaining power at nearby dealers. Or buy from that low price dealer if the distance is reasonable. Careful shopping can save you thousands. And the lower the price you pay initially, the easier it will be to sell later at a marketable price.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
When we first went fulltime it was in a Used Montana THEN when we decided it was for us then we bought 2 new one's after that,I myself would Never buy a new one at first till ya know you like the fulltime lifestyle a new one depreciates too much
Old 01-02-2017, 01:30 AM   #6
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
When we decided on a large fiver we started going to any and all RV shows and visiting some dealer lots. When we listed our home for sale we had pretty much decided on a 3400RL model but wanted used. We were not finding anything from dealers within a 100 miles radius so I extended my search out 500 miles on Craig's List. We located our unit a state away. The seller had been trying to sell it for over a year. I made him a offer and he took it. It was an extremely good 3 year old unit that we ended up not taking a hit on.

There are several reasons that I would not start out with a new unit, depreciation being the biggest one. Working the bugs out of a factory new unit and having to deal with a factory warranty while full time is another issue for some.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:35 AM   #7
EricHarmon
Established Member

M.O.C. #19325
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I didn't ask my question well enough. I realize there will be a depreciation hit, and I'm prepared to take that if we purchase new. What my wife is interested in knowing (and this applies whether we purchase a new or used unit) is if selling an RV is similar to selling a timeshare. In other words, when attempting to sell a timeshare, you almost can't give it away. You might try to sell it for five years or more before finally unloading it. She's wondering if it would be the same situation with an RV.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:22 AM   #8
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
My opinion, and short answer, is no, it's not like a timeshare. Since the economic rebound, RV's are selling well. When we traded our Montana for SOB, the dealer had the Montana sold within a week. If the economy tanks again you might have to give it away, but that doesn't just apply to RVs.
pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:18 AM   #9
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
In your "introducing myself" post I got the impression you are going to be new to RVing. (I could be wrong) Before jumping in the deep end with a new/used 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, new/used 5th wheel and associated required equipment, try renting a class A, B or C motorhome for a week or two. See if you like the lifestyle before investing upwards of $140k for a new truck and RV.

Thinking about selling in the future if things don't work out seems defeatist to me. That's like buying the home of your dreams thinking you will have to sell it instead of living in it.

A new 5th wheel and truck will not be cheap and the expense is definitely something to think long and hard about. DO YOUR RESEARCH, test the waters and make the best choice for you. In the end you wont regret your decision.

JMHO

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:23 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First, yes they do sell reasonable well when priced correctly and well maintained. I would differ from some of the advise above in one regard, buy the unit you can see yourself living in whether new or used. Full timing is a unique lifestyle to most people and much more doable if you love your home. In our case ours was a new, but discontinued model so we had to snap it up and we've been very happy with our choice for 6 years of full timing.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:11 AM   #11
EricHarmon
Established Member

M.O.C. #19325
JABURKHOLDER: I completely understand your comment. However, when I purchase a house, I also think about resale. I think that's only prudent. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to buy a house in one location, and then five years later decide to move somewhere else and find that it's next to impossible to sell the house currently being lived in. That said, I do understand where you're coming from, and I very much appreciate your viewpoint.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I know people that have sold their unit in a Day a few weeks over a year! I have a friend that their rig has been on the market since June and they are asking a fair price. So it all depends the market in your area.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #13
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
We have a person in our park with a '12 3402 Montana for sale. Been for sale for 3 years. He has it priced so he can pay off the loan. Not going to happen.

The last 2 RV's we have sold, sold in 60 days or less. Were in good condition and the most important thing, priced right.

Buy used, try it, if it works for BOTH of you, think about new.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #14
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
EricHarmon,

JABURKHOLDER made two good points, but you didn't acknowledge the first. Are you new to the RV lifestyle? If so, his point was to try that first to see how you like it before jumping in and spending a lot of money. If it's not for you, then the resale question is moot.

The full time RV lifestyle is just not for everyone. Nothing wrong with that, but just be sure it's what you want by trying it first.

If you are not new to camping, then just disregard this.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:13 AM   #15
EricHarmon
Established Member

M.O.C. #19325
Bama Camper: Yes, we're brand new to RVing. However, we're not new to automobile travel or cruise ship travel (which are different, to be sure, but enclosed living). Travel by car is one of our favorite things to do, except it's a pain to move stuff in and out of hotel rooms, and being away from home for any length of time, such as over two weeks or so, becomes a nuisance in terms of stopping mail/UPS, having someone watch the house, and so on.

I'm wary of purchasing used for a couple main reasons. First, unless I can find one that's only a year old or so, I don't expect it'll probably have warranty. Second, I'm going to inherit someone else's problems.

The first house I purchased was new. I lived in it for 17 years, and when I moved out, it was in pristine condition. It looked maybe 5 years old. I then moved into a "used" house, which I'm living in now. It's three years older than the first house I bought, but looks 20 years older. Prior owners didn't trash the place or anything like that, but it definitely shows age. Same thing has happened to me whenever I've purchased used vehicles. The instant I started purchasing new, almost all my headaches disappeared. Even with inspections and the like, there are always hidden troubles that come up. At least, that has been my experience to date with vehicles and houses.

Again, it's very possible that I might find a very gently used one-year-old RV or something like that, with warranty remaining. I wouldn't run from that opportunity. However, I doubt I'd save much over the cost of a new RV (based on some searches I've done online), and I wouldn't be able to tailor some of the options (interior design and so forth) without spending the extra money to get the RV how we want it. So unless we got really lucky on price and options for a used RV, the option of buying used just isn't terribly appealing to me at the moment.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:35 AM   #16
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EricHarmon

Bama Camper: Yes, we're brand new to RVing. However, we're not new to automobile travel or cruise ship travel (which are different, to be sure, but enclosed living).....cut.....

I'm wary of purchasing used for a couple main reasons. First, unless I can find one that's only a year old or so, I don't expect it'll probably have warranty. Second, I'm going to inherit someone else's problems......cut.......
Again, it's very possible that I might find a very gently used one-year-old RV or something like that, with warranty remaining. I wouldn't run from that opportunity. However, I doubt I'd save much over the cost of a new RV (based on some searches I've done online), and I wouldn't be able to tailor some of the options (interior design and so forth) without spending the extra money to get the RV how we want it. So unless we got really lucky on price and options for a used RV, the option of buying used just isn't terribly appealing to me at the moment.
The very first thing you have to do is change your thinking about RV's in general. You simply can not compare anything about quality or quality control in the auto industry to the RV industry. The second thing you must do is change your thinking about "factory" warranties" on new units.

If you start full timing in a brand new unit there is little chance you will be staying in the immediate area where that dealer is for the entire first year. If your warranty is not needed then all is good. If you need factory warranty then get ready for some possible disappointments, because many other Keystone Montana dealers won't work on your unit once they find out you didn't buy it from them. So good luck with an almost useless factory warranty.

On the other hand if you find a used unit you can purchase an extended warranty. There are many out there and some pretty good ones that are honored nationwide. Dealers won't care where you bought it then.

I owned one used Montana and one new Montana. I never had a single issue with the used Montana while full timing. I had several problems with the new one. I was able to get back to my dealer twice within that first year and they only fixed half the problems. One other Montana dealer simply refused to work on it, and another one looked at it, charged Keystone for looking at it, but said they couldn't fix it.

When it came time to move from fivers to a MH I again started by doing a bunch of research. When I narrowed my search to two brands, then located the 2 year old unit we bought. Now I am part of a different RV brand forum and get to read about how unhappy a bunch of folks are that bought new MH's and spent from $130,000 to $300,000. It is the same story about quality control with new units and the factory warranty not being honored by non-selling dealers. The only difference is the screen names have changed and it is a different brand.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:46 AM   #17
EricHarmon
Established Member

M.O.C. #19325
JandC,

Wow, ok, didn't realize that. I assumed that any Montana dealer would do warranty work. Sounds like factory warranty is more or less worthless, then, and an extended warranty is very much needed. So I guess it comes down to whether I can find a recent enough used unit that is A) in excellent condition, and B) is recent enough that it has the latest MORryde system and stuff like that on it.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:39 AM   #18
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Eric, now aren't you glad you joined the MOC you have received many good points of view. I wouldn't echo what has been said here. Just to say this, I was hell bent on buying a new rig and was at the dealer to order one. My friend was with me and found a two year old Mountineer on their lot for a whole lot less that the new one I wanted. We bought the Mountineer along with a service agreement. I am not a full timer but as I am in the tax business I have most of the year off. We ran that rig for a year about 7000 miles and decided we loved RVing. We did not need the service agreement as any and all the bugs had been worked out before we got it. That is except for the tires. I had to replace them in the first five hundred miles. And do go on the tire thread for very important information about that subject.

Now we are on our third Montana well two Mountineers one new and now a new Montana and I do now spend about seven months a year in it. We have been VERY lucky as we have not had all that many problems. Our selling dealer is in Michigan and luckily the Montana dealer here will do the warranty work.

Like most are saying go slow and keep asking questions.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #19
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829

[/quote]

The very first thing you have to do is change your thinking about RV's in general. You simply can not compare anything about quality or quality control in the auto industry to the RV industry. The second thing you must do is change your thinking about "factory" warranties" on new units.

If you start full timing in a brand new unit there is little chance you will be staying in the immediate area where that dealer is for the entire first year. If your warranty is not needed then all is good. If you need factory warranty then get ready for some possible disappointments, because many other Keystone Montana dealers won't work on your unit once they find out you didn't buy it from them. So good luck with an almost useless factory warranty.

On the other hand if you find a used unit you can purchase an extended warranty. There are many out there and some pretty good ones that are honored nationwide. Dealers won't care where you bought it then.

I owned one used Montana and one new Montana. I never had a single issue with the used Montana while full timing. I had several problems with the new one. I was able to get back to my dealer twice within that first year and they only fixed half the problems. One other Montana dealer simply refused to work on it, and another one looked at it, charged Keystone for looking at it, but said they couldn't fix it.

When it came time to move from fivers to a MH I again started by doing a bunch of research. When I narrowed my search to two brands, then located the 2 year old unit we bought. Now I am part of a different RV brand forum and get to read about how unhappy a bunch of folks are that bought new MH's and spent from $130,000 to $300,000. It is the same story about quality control with new units and the factory warranty not being honored by non-selling dealers. The only difference is the screen names have changed and it is a different brand.

[/quote]

Well stated and on point.

EricHarmon, being new to RVing, when I purchased a new 2015 Montana I approached it with the same perspective as you - comparing apples with oranges. My experience has been very much like JandC has shared with you - numerous bugs with my new new unit, poor warranty experiences with service centers and lots of unit down time and frustration.

If I ever purchase another, it will be a good used one that someone has addressed the warranty repairs and completed the needed upgrades, and will most likely have an Extended Service Plan.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #20
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
EricHarmon,

Sent you a PM entitled "homework"

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote