Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
Bird droppings on hitch pin

Every since we brought the 3000rk home we couldn't figure out why there was so much bird droppings on the hitch pin. Then my husband saw it. A bird sitting on it looking at himself in the mirror. Has anyone else had this problem? We put a covering over the mirror so the birds wouldn't see it. What a mess that was!

spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Just be glad you don't have peacocks like we have - talk about a MESS !!

In the spring I have bird snot and slobber all over every car mirror (mostly cardinals here). They even scratch up the doors at the bottom of the windows trying to land there.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:13 AM   #3
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Well...THAT sounds appetizing!! Thanks for the visual VanMan...LOL

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:18 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Funny you mention that. I found 1/2 dozen bird droppings all over my pin box level 2 weeks ago. Had no idea why any bird would have picked that spot to set long enough to take a dump 6 times. Not it makes sense. At the Branson rally I velcroed the MOC flag to the mirror and no further droppings. Unknowingly I solved that problem. Yes, I will remove the flag when traveling.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #5
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
And here I've been envying those of you with the hook up mirror. I guess there's a cloud in every silver lining. LOL
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Not only my pin box but I came out the other day and the dam things would sit on my rear view mirrors and hang on the top of the side windows of my Dodge and wow what a mess (no Dodge jokes ) I finally had to move the rig around to the back yard where they couldn't find it.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:35 AM   #7
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
We had a similar problem when we owned our house trailer in upstate NY with an oriole (sp?) It kept landing on my dark blue car and looking at himself in the mirror. I covered the mirrors with grocery sacks, then he would use the reflection in the window. I thought if I tied some feathers around the mirror area he would think another bird was there and leave. Well it worked, a neighbors cat seen the feathers and snatched the bird...... I hated to see that happen !
The bird droppings were actually staining the side of my car. Poor bird!
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:41 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wileecoyote985

And here I've been envying those of you with the hook up mirror. I guess there's a cloud in every silver lining. LOL
You know I am still undecided whether or not that mirror is actually of any help other than a great place to check your hair or to hang the MOC flag. After more than 3 years of not having a mirror I find myself still hooking up the old way of physically turning and looking out the window.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:12 AM   #9
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wileecoyote985

I don't use the mirror, found it easier to turn around and hook up to the hitch. Odd that the mirror works best if a gooseneck is used but Lippert does not support gooseneck users.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:59 AM   #10
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
I've got a toolbox that rests on the top rail of the pickup bed ( I know - I didn't think there was clearance for it at first either. Hasn't been a problem so far) so I can't see my hitch receiver directly. Gotta think that the mirror would be nifty in my circumstance.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote