Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Securing Dinnerware

Do you do anything special to secure your good plastic dinnerware and nice plastic glasses while traveling?

Thanks
Betty

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I put strips of plexiglas, about 3 inches high, and however long as cabinet, in all my cabinets. Keeps things from falling out when opening doors after a trip. Also put that soft non skid shelf paper, cut in small pieces between some of dishes. The strips of plexiglas work great in the spice cabinet and in medicine cabinet too.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I put plates on a plate rack and secure with one of those little bungy cords to keep them from sliding. We put pieces of that non skid stuff inbetween the parts of our dishes that are china or such. Wine glasses get wrapped in tea towels and put in the drawer. Don't do anything with the plastic glasses. We have a plastic (like plexiglass) makeup box that we keep small things in in the medicine chest. I like Dusty's strip idea - think I will use that for the other shelves in the bathroom. I keep a few breakable dishes in small plastic tubs on the shelf in the kitchen cupboard and we just get them out of there as we use them. Takes a minute longer but one less thing to do to travel.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
maybe the road is too bumpy , but we have no problem but we have rubber shele liner on the bottom
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
We have the shelf liner on all shelves also but things still tip and bang against each other. Our cupboard in the 3400 is in the middle suspended from the ceiling and it gets a bit of vibration. The pantry seems to travel just fine.
Happy trails..........................
Old 05-03-2007, 01:06 AM   #6
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Thanks for the great ideas. We are just getting organized for our first trip. Lots to think about.

2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Old 05-03-2007, 04:38 AM   #7
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chip

Do you do anything special to secure your good plastic dinnerware and nice plastic glasses while traveling?
I don't mean to hijack your post, but where do you get your "good plastic dinnerware and glasses"? We've been trying to find a set of good plastic dinnerware and all we can find are individual thin picnic style separates, so to speak. Thanks for any info. Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:28 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Depends on what you call "good plastic dinnerware". You may need to be looking in the dinnerware dept. (Target, WalMart, etc) - things made from melamine (maybe all Corelle brand).

http://www.corelle.com/index.asp?pageId=75

Try here
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
We bought some nice dinnerware and glasses at Bealls. It is hard to find nice plastic ware.

Betty

2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Old 05-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We have good luck with the Corelle (from Wallmart). We do use the acrylic water glasses.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
We do use Corelle, however, I was concerned with it's fragility after being bounced around the country. Although chip and break resistant, it is still basically a glass plate and will break. Ask me how I know. . . I have pictures of a Corelle plate that shattered all over our kitchen table as Verle started to take a bite of something. It popped like an explosion and shards went flying, hitting children, walls, other food, etc. Makes us very careful of glass plates of any kind. So far, all I have found locally IS Corelle and I was looking for Melamine or a hard plastic. I finally found some sets on Amazon and a brand name to check for locally. Thanks, Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
They are kinda cool when they break. Told Dory to be sure and get the schards out of the sink drain so they don't get in the garbage disposal. Took her a year to realize we don't have garbage disposal in the Monty . They do break over my head as well.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We found some of our corelle at garge sales. I have collected it for some time. Now I have all matching pieces. I bought some great plastic glasses at Bed Bath & Beyond. They are a thick plastic or plexglas with palm trees. I love them! Got them on SALE! which makes it better.

We put the non-skid stuff on bottom of all our shelves and in between
some of the dishes.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
We have used Corelle both at home and in our 5ers. The only break we have had was when a cupboard in our previous rear kitchen came open and the dishes flew. They do break into a zillion pieces but that was a one time event. I get them at the Corning Outlet stores.
Happy trails.........................
Old 05-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I use real china and real glassware and crystal wine glasses. The wine glasses I wrap in styrofoam sheets and store inside the chairs. Everything else just sits in the cupboards that are lined with the waffle plastic. I even use glass coffee cups. I have been doing this for two years now of full timing. I did chip one glass and had to throw it out but I like using the stuff I used at home. I would have given it away anyway so why not use it.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:56 AM   #16
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
We also use Corelle for every day, just as in the stick house. We do carry a complete set of our china and crystal, too. Always use glass coffee cups, drink glasses, and wine glasses. A while back, someone on the MOC commented that they don't so much mind cheap wine as long as they can drink it out of a glass wineglass. Makes it taste better! When we traveled with the kids, though, we did use plastic glasses. Whatever works for you.
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We started out with fine china, but the stuff was too heavy. We switched to acrylic, but found that it could not be microwaved. So--- alas, it is Corelle, all white, the square pattern. It washes easily (I am the expert now), fits the cabinet well and travels well. The treasured china? Sold it in the estate sale. It is not missed.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #18
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Helen, Once on RV Today they showed some foam rubber holders for wine glasses. They were in different sizes and looked to be about 1 ft. X 1 ft. X 4 inches high and had cutouts for the glasses (stems up). They may have even had double back tape for holding them down in the cabinet. I would assume they have them at Camping World.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:54 AM   #19
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We use Corelle, have scoot guard on the shelf and in between each plate. No problems in 7 years. But I have learned (from having children) "Never say never"! I use alot of tupperware for everthing. My "wine" glasses are tupperware parfiet glasses, so they serve a dual purpose! We do have bars in the fridge when are traveling. We have a center kitchen, which we think has less problems with things falling than a rear kitchen. Of course, Don says I have "too much stuff", I say it can't move and fall as easy! Judy
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:21 AM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Judy,
You are right, the tighter you have things in the cupboard, the less movement. Rolls of toilet paper, paper towels, yarn, etc. stuffed in between helps things from moving around and then you always have extra supplies.
Happy trails.....................