Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
More Newbie Montana Owner Questions

More questions:

The Montana Specs says: Fresh water 60, waste water 38, gray water 76. Anyone know how big the galley tank is?

There was thread a while back about did the vanity sink empty into the gray or black tank. What was the final consensus?

I opted to use one of those plastic Lube Plates on the king pin. I guess I should have asked sooner, is there any reason to not use one? How long do they generally last? How will I know when it is time to replace it?

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have had the same teflon plate on the king pin for over a year and it is still in great shape. Sorry I can't answer the other questions. We just empty our tanks when they get full. LOL We can usually last four or five days with both of us using the shower. We do not have a washer dryer but do wash dishes and pans. I like to cook and Tom is the dishwasher.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Grant
The gray is 38 and the galley is 38. On some units (depending on year and model) the galley and gray flow into the other when full. On our '05 3400 it does not.
Same answer on the bathroom sink. Depends on the model and year. We have an early 05 and the toilet faces the LR. This puts it right next to the bathroom sink (wall in between). It is easy to see in the basement that both drain pipes go to the same place. In later 05s the toilet was switched to face the other way (which leaves more unobstructed space in the basement) and I think (notice think) that is when they changed where the bathroom sink drains. You can test this by emptying both holding tanks, run the water in the bathroom room sink and then empty the holding tanks again and see which one has the water from the bathroom sink.
The teflon disks last a long time - years. When they get old you will know it. They keep the pin from rubbing the paint off the hitch and the pin.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Thanks all!
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I've had my teflon plate for 3 1/2 years and it is still going strong.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:59 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

More questions:

The Montana Specs says: Fresh water 60, waste water 38, gray water 76. Anyone know how big the galley tank is?

There was thread a while back about did the vanity sink empty into the gray or black tank. What was the final consensus?

I opted to use one of those plastic Lube Plates on the king pin. I guess I should have asked sooner, is there any reason to not use one? How long do they generally last? How will I know when it is time to replace it?

I believe the galley tank is 38 gallons. The 76 figure you quote is the combined grey water and galley tank capacity combined. Both are 38 gallons, I believe. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the teflon plate, we use them in lieu of grease. By all means, you should use one. It not only wears well, but keeps metal off metal. I use a little bit of white lithium grease on the king pin itself just because I'm from the old school that says when you have metal against metal (jaws around king pin) there is going to be metal chafing and wear.

Hope this helps you.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The galley tank is 38 gallons. The shower/bath tank is 38 gallons. That's the 76 gallons they reference.

I highly recommend the lube plate. Our last one had seen 50k miles and still was serviceable but we left it on the rig when we traded and got a new one. You'll know to replace it when it falls off on its own, won't hold any more. Seriously. I've never seen one worn out although I suppose that's possible.

Like Orv, I put a bit of white grease on the pin where the hitch jaws close around it. But no grease on the lubeplate or hitch saddle.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:35 AM   #8
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
Galley tank is 38 gallons, Shower/bath tank is 38 gallons. 76 gallons total. Teflon Plate is the way to go.
Koerb is offline   Reply With Quote