Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
RV Signs

I see quite a few of these signs whenever we are camping and now that we are moving up to a 5th wheel for some extended trips my husband and I are thinking about getting one made - you know the signs outside the campers that say 'The Smiths, Bob and Judy'.

First of all how many of you have one?
If you do, where did you get your sign?

I'm trying to think of some witty saying to put on it, but all I've come up with so far is 'Life is Good'.

Also, anyone think that these are a safety risk? Someone knows your name, could pretend to know you, etc.... Just a thought - I grew up in Chicago and tend to be overly cautious

traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I actually have 2. Purchased both at local flea markets. One carved with a router and one hand painted

I feel you are too overly cautious. Folks have had mail boxes with their names in front of their homes for years.
I have at least one of my signs outside my RVs for years and NO one has ever used it for anything the least bit suspicious.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have one that a MOC member made for us. We like trains so it is in the shape of a train. We had one before this and used it until it wore out. We have never had any problem having our name on the unit and we have been at this for many, many years. When I tent camped with my daughter as a single parent we also had a sign with our last name. We never had a problem there either. There are usually vendors at swap meets that make these. I'm sure you can get one on the internet also since you can get everything else there.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
We purchased one at the Shipshewana (Indiana) Flea Market last fall. It is in the shape of a 5er and we hang it from the pin box. They are nice when you have visitors that have no idea what your coach looks like if it's not in your driveway and every once in awhile you run into an old acquantence that would have otherwise walked on by.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
As you travel you will be overwhelmed with the numbers of places you can have these signs made. They come in all sizes, shapes, and stain colors. Just keep an eye out for the kind you want. Don't be impulsive.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I think they are a nice but I will not have one, especially while I still have a stick home. All it takes is a computer, internet, and www.whitepages.com Any possible criminal will have your address in a matter of 30 seconds. Since they just talked to you in the campground they know more than likely your home is unattended. 1 phone call is all it takes. If you are going to get one, my suggestion is only put your first names on it. Do not put your last name, city or state on it.

There was an article about this very topic about 6 months ago in Trailer Life magazine. My suggestions pretty much mirror theirs.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #7
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
we have one, anyone want to break into my stick house can have it, it's well insured..

oh, on the sign, i make them, bought the equipment years ago...got the idea at a flea market where there is always someone making them, in all shapes and sizes..
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave,
I agree but we only have our first names. Plus our license plate covers are all purchased ones so the dealer of our rig is not on our truck or on the Monty. Plus we didn't buy either one in the city we live in. Plus we are going to be full timing soon so no stick house to look up! Yeah!!
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
Congrats on the upcoming fulltiming. I know it is something that you have been looking forward to.

I know there is no stopping someone from breaking into the stick house or the coach for that matter. Insured? You bet it is! I would just rather try and prevent it if at all possible. The truck and coach already announce what state I am from, thats enough for me.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:57 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Dave, like I said to traveljunkie, "you are too overly cautious". I have yet to meet the first RVer that claimed to have had their house broken into because someone read their name on a sign in an RV park.
If you are truly concerned about this than you should also watch what you say on this very forum. You, as do most of us, give a total travel itinerary as to when you will be leaving your stickhouse, where you are headed and the actual date you will be returning. A simple click on your User ID and they not only know what state you live in but the city as well. In your case, Spokane, Washington USA. A simple check of the local phone book and they gotcha. As you should know there are many more unscrupulous SOBs on the Internet than you could ever find in even the largest RV Park.
No offense but if you worry this much at such a young age you will have high blood pressure and a stomach full of ulcers before your 50. Believe me on that I know from experience. Not me but a close personal life long friend.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:05 AM   #11
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
We have a sign made at some local craft show. I have found that by displaying our name and where we are from has generated more than one conversation. I don't worry to much about identity theft, I guess I am just too trusting.
Glenn you also have a sign I just love. Seen it at Goshen I think it said "Trailer Trash Lane or Ave" or something like that.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:32 AM   #12
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
There is a greater chance of a break in when the Montana is not sitting in its normal spot in your driveway or somewhere on your property.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:18 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

We have a sign made at some local craft show. I have found that by displaying our name and where we are from has generated more than one conversation. I don't worry to much about identity theft, I guess I am just too trusting.
Glenn you also have a sign I just love. Seen it at Goshen I think it said "Trailer Trash Lane or Ave" or something like that.
"TRAILER TRASH TPKE"

Old 12-31-2006, 06:59 AM   #14
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I agree with Glen. If the stick house is so important; SELL IT! I just have a good insurance policy (and a 24/7 monitored alarm system).

Besides that, if someone broke into and destroyed my stick home, then I might be able to talk my wife into a new 3600RE that I have been drooling over.

In addition to the name signs that I have seen, this one cought my eye in Flagstaff, AZ:

THE OWNER OF THIS RECREATIONAL VEHICLE NEVER HAS MORE THAN $20 WORTH OF AMMUNITION ABOARD.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:04 AM   #15
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Karen and I love cruising the parks we're in (on foot or by truck) looking at the different rigs and always enjoy the multitude of entertaining signs adorning the sites. Ours is a little home-made mailbox with our names on a hanging plaque. We have had many people stop in to chat about it, just as we (I) have done to others. Security was and is not a concern linked to our little sign.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:20 AM   #16
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
This is where I got my sign

www.woodsignsofgatlinburg.com

They even have signs that are in the shape of a 5th wheel
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:31 AM   #17
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Thanks for all the input. I too enjoy walking through the campground looking at signs and have started several conversations that way. After starting this topic I found another site that has some nifty signs - http://3dwoodenphotos.com/

We aren't in any hurry, we don't pick up our RV 'til spring but I'm keeping myself busy outfitting the 5er this winter. Can't wait until our first trip in April!

Glenn - love the Trailer Trash Tpke sign! Still trying to think of something good to put on ours.

Beth
traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:45 AM   #18
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
I have to agree that precautions are in order when listing too much information about yourself on a sign, in some instances. Of course, if you are full-time you don't need to worry about your stick house. No one should say however, that you should sell your stick house. That is silly!! It would be a really big decision to go full-time and it's not for everyone. Anyone who says they could care less if they are robbed obviously have never had that happen. Most of us would be upset and feel viotated even if nothing was actually taken. I say if you are concerned, just put your first names on your sign. Most people you meet don't really need to know your last name. And if you want to give out that information, have some cards made up to give out. With all that said, we need to find a balance here, chances are slim that anyone will rob you because they saw your sign in a RV park. Just use common sense and have fun.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:58 AM   #19
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have a sign with our names, domicile city and state (Cleveland, Tn) Cleveland is only the address for our mail service, but we have never felt these signs were of any danger. I feel if someone whats to get into your home they will do it whether you are at work, on vacation, or just out shopping. As others have stated arts & craft shows and flea markets are a good source for these signs. We purchased a nice wrought iron holder at a craft show, to hold our sign which I hand painted. Have had lots of compliments on it and gave one to friends who also travel with us on occassion. These signs are great conversation starters. Enjoy!!!!
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:20 AM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Glenn,
Thank you, you have made a very good point. I never even thought about the MOC, and you’re right. I have a seasonal site and I was thinking more along those lines as my site is within an hour of my home. Like you said, all they would need is a phone book. For those who are full timing and don't have a stick built home, won't be a problem. Thanks again Glenn!