Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
bernieb
Established Member

M.O.C. #7003
how level is level

I'm new to this forum but not new to the RV scene having had my first in 1976. My previous 5er was a Springdale and I traded up to a 2006 3000rk monty. Since day one it was always stressed to me to level my trailer to "almost perfect at the very least" Several dealer service department contacted differ on the need to be as perfect as possible to avoid problems with the refrigerator "locking up". I am leaving soon on a 4,200 mile trip out west and will make stops at Wal-marts etc and leveling perfect can become a real pain. So I leave it to the pros, how level is necessary to avoid harm to the fridge or even my slides?

bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:19 AM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I don't level that good when staying in a parking lot. I do level for my comfort but that is it.I have never has a problem with any units I have owned. I was told by several service tech's that to do damage it would be uncomfortable to be in it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:55 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On over nighters when not un hooking We will stay level within the bubble side to side.If is is out of the bubble it becomes
sort of unconfortable. If your truck and camper are set up properly(hitch height) it will/should be close to level front to back.When set up for a long period of time we like to have it just a bit off bubble to the dump valve side.We find that aids in preventing "stuff" from collecting in the tanks..That has always worked for us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:22 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bernieb

I'm new to this forum but not new to the RV scene having had my first in 1976. My previous 5er was a Springdale and I traded up to a 2006 3000rk monty. Since day one it was always stressed to me to level my trailer to "almost perfect at the very least" Several dealer service department contacted differ on the need to be as perfect as possible to avoid problems with the refrigerator "locking up". I am leaving soon on a 4,200 mile trip out west and will make stops at Wal-marts etc and leveling perfect can become a real pain. So I leave it to the pros, how level is necessary to avoid harm to the fridge or even my slides?
The most important part of the leveling process is to be within about one-half bubble front to back. Side to side isn't that important except for comfort. The refrigerator will "lock up" when the front to back leveling is off, not with side to side leveling. This comes from Dometic. A Dometic rep told me several years ago that they had never seen a refrigerator lock up when the RV was not level side to side.

There has been only one time when we had to unhook over night in order to get the rig close to level front to back. That was because where I had to park was so unlevel that I couldn't get the front end of the rig up high enough while still hooked up.

If you're anywhere near level (within a bubble), you won't have any slide problems. I think you'll find that most service departments don't agree on what's right. Only experience will tell. Most of us on this forum even have differing opinions. I've just given you mine that comes from my experience.

Hope this helps you some.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:25 AM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
If an RV is out of level enough to upset the operation of the fridge, you would not be comfortable living in it. IMHO. Get it level enough to feel like a home on planet Earth and you'll be good to go.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:41 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
bernieb, I have to agree with Orv about more of a problem with the slide than the fridge. I have been pulling tts since 76 and didn't know about leveling till the late 80s. I just thought as long as I didn't fall off the bed it was ok! Hee Hee! With the newer fridges today it will be fine as long as you're not too far off bubble. BUT worry more about putting the slides out when off bubble, you'll do more damage there!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:37 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I use 3/4" planks to try to get within 1" of being level on the wheels side to side and use the tongue jacks to level for an aft. If I am parking for a long time then I will take longer to level.
Since the refrigerators are made to operate while on the road they can stand some angled terrain. As I said for the longer the stay the better I level.
Good luck and safe towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Another thing to watch is if you are staying in one spot on non-paved surfaces. After one month (max) recheck for level. Usually there will be some need to re-level.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I pull into the site and check the hitch bubble. Wife cares more than me how level we are.Wife opens the door and puts a level on the floor.I have to make the slide side slightly higher so when the slides go out it is almost level. I have some friends that spend hours getting the rig perfect. I usually sit back in a chair with a cold one and watch. "IF IT LOOKS GOOD ENOUGH IT IS GOOD ENOUGH"!
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
bernieb
Established Member

M.O.C. #7003
thanks for the answers, lotsa common sense. only one comment about the side to side level not an issue, on some floor plans the fridge faces to the front and others it faces side to side. I think the overall answer is, close is good enough for horseshoes, handgrenades and leveling, I heard you saying just use a little common sense, protect the slides and enjoy. Thanks for sharing your hard earned info
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:23 AM   #11
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Ols1932 Wrote: The most important part of the leveling process is to be within about one-half bubble front to back. Side to side isn't that important except for comfort. The refrigerator will "lock up" when the front to back leveling is off, not with side to side leveling. This comes from Dometic. A Dometic rep told me several years ago that they had never seen a refrigerator lock up when the RV was not level side to side.

Problem with that statement is you can't make universal statements. In the 3000RK the fridge is mounted ACROSS the back of the trailer. In most of the other models it is mounted along a side wall where the Fore-Aft bubble results in the fridge being tilted to one side or the other. In the 3000RK a side to side bubble results in the fridge being tilted sise to side. I have heard that most fridges need to be within 3 degrees of level "Side to Side" for the proper flow of refridgerant.

FWIW - Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:45 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Lisa

Ols1932 Wrote: The most important part of the leveling process is to be within about one-half bubble front to back. Side to side isn't that important except for comfort. The refrigerator will "lock up" when the front to back leveling is off, not with side to side leveling. This comes from Dometic. A Dometic rep told me several years ago that they had never seen a refrigerator lock up when the RV was not level side to side.

Problem with that statement is you can't make universal statements. In the 3000RK the fridge is mounted ACROSS the back of the trailer. In most of the other models it is mounted along a side wall where the Fore-Aft bubble results in the fridge being tilted to one side or the other. In the 3000RK a side to side bubble results in the fridge being tilted sise to side. I have heard that most fridges need to be within 3 degrees of level "Side to Side" for the proper flow of refridgerant.

FWIW - Bill
Sorry about that. I stand corrected and accept the rebuke. I wasn't aware that the refrigerator in some units were mounted across the back. In that case I will amend my words to be "level to within a half bubble in whatever direction your refrigerator is mounted."

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The Dometic guy at the Goshen rally last Fall said the newer refrigerators are not nearly so sensitive to level as those built many years ago but it is still important not to leave them far off level for any length of time. Yes, I realize there are some ambiguous terms in that statement. When I talked to him I told him I had been told that if I'm comfortable in the rig then the fridge will be fine. He agreed with that. More ambiguity but I don't know any more than that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #14
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
ols1932, no rebuke intended, at least not of you. I do think the rep should know better than to make such broad statements but didn't intend to criticize you for taking him at his word. Please accept my appologies for not being more careful with MY words.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:07 AM   #15
exfuzz02
Established Member

M.O.C. #2240
Send a message via ICQ to exfuzz02
I level the trailer according to a bubble level I keep in the freezer compartment. I try and keep it at least to half in, half out....Never have had a problem.
exfuzz02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
bernieb,

I also am a fanatic about level. I do have a tolerance (so SHE says), but level is level, and less than level is NOT level.

First off, the dealer said I had to have the fridge level, so, I put the little bubble level in the freezer.

Now, this has been a while ago, so bare with me while I explain. In a RV Park that had very level paved pads, I took my 4-foot level all over the inside and outside and made the rig as level as I could get it...it was level! I then mounted a level across the king pin (one of those fancy ones with the side-to-side and fore-and aft). I mounted it so the bubbles were level.

Now, when I need level, I just watch that single point. Has worked ever since, I am satisified with level. We typically can adjust side-to-side level with the lego blocks under the wheels and then the fore-to-aft is done with the landing gears....

Don't forget the memory hitch level....nice way to reconnect to the truck without having to guess about the height.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote