Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Placement for Irma

I know most of you will look at this and question why the rig is sitting next to trees when Irma is on the way. Well, she usually sits in the front driveway and will be totally exposed, broadside to a NE wind that we are expecting from Irma here in GA. She could easily be flipped in the front drive. So, I moved her back into the entrance to the separate garage. She sits about 10 feet lower than she would being in the front, plus I can turn her nose into the wind. The storm will come from the southwest and we should get the wrap around winds coming in from the NE. The trees you see are on a huge bank and are about 40 feet lower than my neighbor's land directly in the other side. The rear is protected by the garage and the land behind. I am also going to take my older Chevy dually and park her at the nose facing outward too. That should help break up the wind as well. I realistically know that there is really nothing that can be done to protect her where we live and since I am on duty for the next 48 hours at my EMS job, there is no way I could leave with her. The sad part is that I am going to be away from my family during this too. I've already started shift and we are watching the storm intently in the emergency operations center. Prayers for all in this thing's path and for all that have evacuated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170909_161633234_HDR-450x800.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	567  

Old 09-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
cpfiver
Established Member

M.O.C. #14627
Hope for best for you and family, thanks for serving as EMS.
cpfiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks for your emergency service! Hope you and your family get thru this fine. For future reference, when we know big storms are coming out here in Kansas I fill the tanks to get more weight near the ground. Have had 90mph gusts from the side and it stayed in place with all the jacks down.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When big storms are coming to our home we get every thing away from white pine trees. One fell on my wife's brand new car, $14,000 damage.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Hopefully your rig will come fine as will all the people affected by the storm in your area.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Best of luck. Looks like you've done all you can.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Thumbs up

Keeping you in our thoughts, keep us posted. Agree with advice DQDick gave. Fill all of your tanks with water to add weight to the rig!!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Sorry for updating so late, but we still have no power, internet or cell service at night in the area. My family, home and Montana are all fine!! No damage to any of them although the Montana looks like it is wearing a ghillie suit It is covered in leaves that were plastered on it during the wind and rain. We only lost one tree in the yard. We were EXTREMELY busy during the storm with hundreds of calls for trees, power lines down and no power for medical home medical devices. We actually had to extricate a family after a huge pine flattened one end of their home. Thank God they were in the living area and not the bedrooms. They were not injured they just had no way out(through a door anyway) as the entire house was leaning. They didn't even think about going through the window as it was about 6' off the ground. Three deaths are being blamed on the storm here in GA until today when an Arkansas lineman died from electrocution. Prayers for his family back home. We have reservations to camp this weekend, but will not leave until we have a secured residence. IF the power comes back on, we're off to the campground. Thanks for all of the well wishes.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #9
cpfiver
Established Member

M.O.C. #14627
Glad to hear your family and belongings are ok Golmedic! You certainly don't need anything more this year. Sorry to hear about the others of course.
cpfiver is offline   Reply With Quote