Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2018, 06:40 AM   #21
Applejack 1948

M.O.C. #22699
After 3 1/2 million miles of driving an 18 wheeler ( twin trailers ) I have had my share of stubborn fifth wheels. What I can tell you is you don't want any play between the king pin and locking jaws. If you do you have less control over the way you pull down the highway. When you park your rig just shift your truck in the opposite direction, take up the slack and shift the other way just enough to release tension. True, you need to lower the landing gear also to help take the pressure off. There will be times this won't even work, depends on how level you are. I've had my share. Just roll with it.

Applejack 1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #22
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Jim, according to B&W and the older press releases, it is not supposed to be able to come loose by pulling on the jaws themselves even with the pin not in. But humans made it.

Lynnwood. Understood.
Golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #23
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
Golfmedik, I think you are correct about not having to put the pin in it. I think that having the weight on it helps keep the jaws closed. I think the person I talked to probably hit a big bump and it raised it enough to take the weight off of it and that is why the jaws opened and the trailer came off of the hitch. Thanks for your information it sure makes me feel better about my B&W hitch.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #24
baybum10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
I did call B & W Tech Line and the gentleman said this is not uncommon. He recommended opening the handle and put the pin in the hole that will hold it open. Back up and then pull forward. It worked perfect and released. Thanks for all of the helpful answers.

Jim
This is the advice that I have followed. Has easily worked every time. (3 times in six years). I like this hitch much better then my previous Reese hitch.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #25
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
I did call B & W Tech Line and the gentleman said this is not uncommon. He recommended opening the handle and put the pin in the hole that will hold it open. Back up and then pull forward. It worked perfect and released. Thanks for all of the helpful answers.

Jim
That will work almost every time but not always. I’ve had mine in such a bind that would not work. You can get your camper on such uneven ground and in enough bind that will not work. I know been there done that.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #26
CFmaster

M.O.C. #13659
Send a message via MSN to CFmaster
All good comments and suggestions👌🏻 In my (limited experience) with my companion hitch) I reconized there was (as noted) a lot of surface friction) between the moving components causing quit a lot of scuffing and flaking of the coatings. From my experience with dis-siimilar metals and corrosion, I keep the moving parts coated with corrosion resistant lubrication and as well I keep my hitch covered when not in use—-“MY 2cents worth”
CFmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #27
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Actually dissimilar metals is what you wont. The same metals have the same grain structures and will gauld. That’s why bolt action rifle receivers are made of two materials. The receiver is one material the bolt a different material and are hardened to different degrees.
Lynwood
Old 11-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #28
CFmaster

M.O.C. #13659
Send a message via MSN to CFmaster
MLH-Thanks for the correction- poor use of words. Galling would possibly be a more familiar example? Definition— “ a form of wear caused by adhesion between sliding surfaces. When a material galls, some of it is pulled with the contacting surface, especially if there is a large amount of force compressing the surfaces together.”Wikipedia
CFmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFmaster View Post
MLH-Thanks for the correction- poor use of words. Galling would possibly be a more familiar example? Definition— “ a form of wear caused by adhesion between sliding surfaces. When a material galls, some of it is pulled with the contacting surface, especially if there is a large amount of force compressing the surfaces together.”Wikipedia
Thanks that is what I meant to say.
Lynwood
Old 11-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #30
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
They are not problematic, they have tight tolerances, it’s possible you have too much weight on the hitch. As soon as you find the sweet spot you won’t have any more trouble.

Mark
Old 11-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #31
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Mark I definitely agree. They are a great hitch none better. You can’t buy a better hitch.
Lynwood
Old 11-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #32
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
This happens to me about 1 out of every 8 times, and I just take a bungee and pull the handle way back and hook it to something to keep the handle way open, and move the truck forward and it disconnects. But i also spray lubricant into all the moving parts I can see in there and it makes it work much better.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:17 AM   #33
bkmackenzie

M.O.C. #22690
Problem with my B&W Companion Hitch

Always make sure you have raised your 5th Wheel off the hitch enough to pull away. Then, open the arm. As stated in other replies, if there is pressure on the hitch from the 5th Wheel's weight, the arm will just move forward without opening the jaws. Good luck and enjoy!
bkmackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:43 AM   #34
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
I had this happen to me once, I had to lock the handle, and move the truck back and forth a tad. Then I put down the front legs and was good to go. Though I wish they would make the fifth wheel like the ones the semi's use, I think that would be much better
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #35
dsttexas
Established Member

M.O.C. #15936
This now works every time for me.

In my experience, the best procedure to disconnect and avoid this is:

1. Pull lever back and pin it in open position.
2. Raise trailer so there is about 1/2" open clearance between bottom of trailer hitch pad and truck hitch pad. So no weight on the truck.
3. If there is any resistance on the pin being let loose from the jaws, gently move forward and back a little.

Works every time this happens. Usually when trailer is slightly side to side in a different position than truck.

When I connect the trailer, I also get close enough to set trailer height so there is same 1/2" or less clearance between pads.