Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2016, 05:38 AM   #1
pammer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18641
Extended Warranty - Yea or Nay?

Should we purchase extended warranty? I feel like we should, just for piece of mind.

From the dealer:
XtraRide 5 year extended exclusionary warranty $200 deductible - $3,000

From Wholesale Warranties:
Viking Protection Plan 5 year exclusionary warranty - $100 deductible $2,000.

Does anyone have either one of these plans? It seems like a no brainer to me but I would like to know if anyone has any experiences with either plan.

Pam

pammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:26 AM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I have Good Sam 5 years at about $3,000.00 but talk to several of your local dealers and see who they like.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Good Sam for us also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #4
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Definite Yes, our fridge cooling unit, radio dvd, awning all went bad AFTER the standard warranty stopped. we paid i think around 1800 dollars for 7 year.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just dropped Good Sam and went to Cornerstone. Do ask some dealers if they accept GS our local dealer would not.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think that depends on you. I don't carry them. I would rather take that chance. I only gamble when the odds are in my favor and I'm ahead of the game. Some people put their money in the bank knowing they will loose value and some put their money in the stock market. In the long run they are way ahead if they stay in long enough.
Where do you feel comfortable having your money?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Like Rich We have Cornerstone from our Dealer that we paid 2K and change for a 6 year Warranty AFTER the 1 year factory is done and would not do without like was said before if a fridge for example goes out you are talking about $3500 clams I do not want to take any chances PLUS on my 2012 Monty I never used the extended warranty and when I traded in for my 2015 I got a $1700.00 refund check in the mail 2 weeks later
Old 06-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Had one once upon a time on diesel pusher. Never needed it. Read the fine print to understand what they cover and limitationa as well as what they don't. John
Old 06-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #9
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Yes....cheap insurance IMHO
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
pammer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18641
My dealer does take good Sam but theyou say they have a hard time getting paid.
pammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
From what more than one dealer has told us If you purchased your Rv at a Camping world and are a Good Sam member you will be teated very differently than if you are not.We used our GS ESP twice and got a hard time each time.We did not purchase our Montana at a Camping world.
We got the cornerstone 4 year ultimate plan and it covers more than the GS plan.One feature that we liked was that if a Non Covered part causes the failure of a covered part they will pay the claim.It is a favorite trick of many service plans that if a non covered part caused the failure of a coverd part they will not pay.

You may want to ask that question of your service plan .
Old 06-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #12
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I'm a nay as I just don't think extended warranties have good value.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #13
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
One of the other considerations is how often you use the 5th wheel, we spend at least 6 months in ours, which means we have more wear and tear on ours than people that only use it in the summer, for us it already has paid for itself and we still have 2 years left. So if you used it a lot it might be worthwhile.
Michael
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
Bill.vannuys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17706
We got a 5 year Extended Service Plan (ESP) from CoachNet for around $1700 but I'm still under warranty, so no experience with this Plan. Right now my refrigerator Cooling Unit is being replaced under warranty; would hate to pay for that myself. ESP would cover replacement in another month.

Had Good Sam ESP on my previous RV and had no problem getting an AC replaced and a few lesser problems fixed. My servicing Dealer is good, honest and makes warranty/ESP claim transparent to me - a big plus I think in repairs.

Cheap "Peace of Mind" for me.

2014 3735MK Legacy, Sailun 637s, TST 507RV TPMS, 2 Battle Born 100 AMP Lithium Batteries, Slide Toppers
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ, 6.6L Duramax 4WD, CC, LB, SRW with Allison Transmission
Bill.vannuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #15
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Pam
Only you can choose if an extended warranty is worth the cost.
I can tell you we are very happy with our XtraRide contract. We have made numerous claims in the 10 yrs of coverage, and we are about to renew again.
We full time, and when a grey tank failed, they paid the cost of having a tank made locally in 3 days, and we were back in our rig in 7 days. Instead of waiting a month (best dealer estimate) for a tank from Keystone that cost 80% less. And our contract pays for, I think, 7 days in a hotel. Two yrs later, the black tank failed, and we did the same thing again. You have to read the fine print, and know what is of value to you, like can you transfer it, the failed part due non covered part thing, being able to choose your own repair shop, etc. There may be other good products out there, I would not hesitate to recommend XtraRide to anyone.
I have to add that there are many shops who have not heard of this product, and will likely ask you you to pay them and deal with Protective yourselves. Just be sure you tell Protective when you call to open the claim, we have never had an issue with this, but you have to be prepared to front the $$.
-Steve
Ps You dont need this till the factory warranty runs out, and shop around, you may find a better deal on XtraRide than from your selling dealer, who may be making something on the warranty that he gave up on the trailer purchase. My renewal quote is 4yrs, $50 deductible, Ultimate coverage, for about $3050 Canadian, including a $200 premium as our rig is now over 10 yrs old.
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:51 AM   #16
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Our thinking was when we purchased our first new Montana was that since we were full time we should have extended warranty. But after 3 years we still have only used it once for a minor issue. But our Norcold has never been right so we will see in the next 2 years if we need to use it for replacing that.

For us it was simply a 5 year insurance plan that we paid up front.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:29 AM   #17
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
We typically never get an extended warranty on anything, however; we felt that the 5th wheeler might be a different animal altogether, especially since you're subjecting to many road hazards, complexities of some repairs and living conditions that could be very expensive to service and replace. We ended up getting a 6 year transferable extended service plan through Wholesale warranties 3 years ago, premiums are negotiable to a point. As of this moment, everything is still working, but the potential for problems to occur, increase with age and the more you subject it to use.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had our homeowners for 35 years and never had a major claim but one major claim could bankrupt us.We have had our auto
truck insurance for over 40 years and never a major claim.We have been paying for heath care insurance for over 40 years and never had a major claim till last year and the bill came in at nearly 70K.Cost us 3K since Helen is not yet on Medicaid.

We have had extended warranties on our two Montana 's since 2006 and have used them .This last repair bill was just shy of 1000.00

We have had the Ford ESP plan on our 2008 F-350 will renew next August when it expires.

We pay affordable premiums to provide payment for unaffordable failures. They are like any other insurance and we have it for the same reasons.We have had more insurance claims on our two Montana's since 2006 than ALL of our other Insurances combined.
WE are long timers we do put a lot of miles and live in the Montana for extended lengths of time.

Some of the failures that Extended warranties paid for on two Montana's Refrigerator (2) Microwave(1)Hot water tank (1).. Holding tanks (8) two more were replaced under manufacturers warranty. Frame flex 2) OEM warranty.
I do not think we got our money back on our extended warranties and I was unaware that we were supposed to. We have not got our money back on any of our other insurances. We just renewed our Montana Service plan again with Cornerstone

If you feel that these RV's are of sufficient quality that failures will be at a minimum save your money.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #19
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep Good Analogy Rich, I have been pretty lucky with My Monty ..SO FAR but I am on the road now and it would be A BAD DAY and a BAD trip if we had no Health insurance and something happened to us or If my truck blew a Tranny that costs 6K OR If a fridge went out in the Monty and We had to lay out $3500.00 for a fridge,I am NOT a Gambler and I am not going to roll the dice,I SUCK at Gambling a couple extra bucks on my Payments every month for a Warranty is a NO BRAINER
Old 06-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I hear you Jimmy. We are going on a 5 to 7K miles trip this summer be out 3 maybe 4 months. We have the Roadside service plan blow a tire make a phone call. We have the RV extended warranty something breaks make a phone call.We have the Ford ESP truck breaks make a phone call. Yes all these things cost a lot of $$ but the things they protect cost a lot more.

In addition we have spent $$ for the Mor Ryde IS system, Air bags on the Ford, Trailersaver BD 3 hitch, Blue ox bedsaaver, TST system
all in a effort to reduce stress on the RV and anticipate failures. We have run maybe 90K+ miles in two Montana's. Our first Ford a V-10 had 30K miles on it when we went diesel and this 08 has 80K miles on it that is 110K miles and these trucks are used for nothing else but to pull the Montana's. We estimate 90% is with the Montana behind us maybe more. When in Florida for the winter we take the Honda for the daily driver. In 6 months in Florida this winter the truck got 550 miles on it mostly once or so a week to the store or Wall mart. We do run the truck and the generator for 1/2 hour every week at idle. Don't care what any manufacturer says these are RECREATIONAL vehicles and using them as we do is not recreational.