Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
A Pleasant afternoon with........

Steve and Ellie (sph77 & Log Cabin) and a future MOC couple named Tony and Linda.

Lorraine and I ran over to Bay Bayou RV park to visit Steve and Ellie. Not knowing their site number we figured it should be easy enough to find their Montana. We were rather surprised to find a total of 6 Montana, 1 Big Sky and 2 Mountaineers. While there we passed out cards to 3 and as no one was around I just left cards at the others.

Turned out that Tony knew of the MOC but was having problems registering. Told him to email me and I would walk him thru the process.
Tony and Linda are from upstate NY but because they couldn't access the forum were unaware of the NE region rally in Lake George. They are very familiar with the area as they live in the Amsterdam area. They sounded very interested and very possibly will be there.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
Glenn,
You're a good recruiter.
We enjoyed you & Lorraine's visit.
Steve
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Glenn & Steve - what's your opinion of Bay Bayou?
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:41 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Unfortunately we are not staying there but we will be next winter.
Bay Bayou has it all but I loved the oversize sites. The site that Steve & Ellie was huge compared to what we are now in. You could have your slides out, your awning down and still park along side. They also have High-speed Internet & Wi-Fi access but do not have Cable TV.

Here's a link to Bay Bayou RV Resort. While on their website be sure to watch their Bay Bayou Slideshow.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Thanks Glenn - we will be at Fort Wilderness in May and intend to visit a couple of potential winter sites. Bay Bayou was already on the list also Grand Lake at Orange Lake. We are more interested in quality than price! Also, due to business, we will be flying up and down from Canada several times during the winter so we need to have access to airports (Tampa/Orlando are the obvious choices) that have high frequency of reasonable price flights.

Thanks again for the comment - we will definitely made an inspection trip to Bay Bayou - by the sound of it you have your mind made up for next year already?
Old 02-14-2005, 11:06 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Just 24 hours later and Lorraine and I are rethinking Bay Bayou.
On Saturday afternoon there seemed to be a lot of bugs but they weren't really bothering either of us. At least we didn't think they were bothering us. Well at least not until last evening and this morning. Talking to folks very familiar to the RV park we found the entire area is loaded with No-See-ums this time of year. The bite is not painfull so we didn't know and although bitten on Saturday it took over 24 hours for the itching to begin. For Lorraine it started late Sunday afternoon and for me it was later Sunday evening and the pain and itching hasn't stopped since. Our arms are loaded with the little welts.
No-See-ums

Now I do realize that being an RVer and spending much time outside we are very susceptible to insects and insect bites. But this being our second winter in Fla. we also know there are many areas where mosquitoes and No-See-ums are pretty much nonexistent. Areas where it is not necessary to even close screen doors. And Screens are no barrier to No-See-ums. They are so tiny they can crawl through most door and window screens.

So inretrospect we are now placing Bay Bayou on our list of least likely parks where we will stay. And that is a shame as they really do have a great park with all the amenities.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Try visiting Northern Ontario in May or early June - the blackflies are big enough to put a saddle on and ride around the park - and do they ever bite - I swear they carry their own boy scout knife and fork!
Old 02-15-2005, 12:07 AM   #8
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Or you could try Northern Alberta in the summer, the mosquitoes are like small airplanes and pretty thirsty. It seems that when you first encounter noseeums, the bites are really itchy, but after a while you seem to build up a tolerance and they don't bother you anymore. Has anyone else found this?
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:00 AM   #9
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
For bites that are driving you absolutely out of your mind try a paste of MSG and water (just enough to dampen but not make runny). Apply to itchy area and allow to dry. Brush off and reapply if needed. Seems that it must be the meat tenderizer tenderizes the itch out. Don't know the real reason this works but tried it the first time when MIL was bitten on ring finger by wasp. We were way out in the boonies and looking at a 50 mile trip to doctor and to have the rings cut off. This took the itch and swelling down, saved us the trip and saved the rings. Good stuff though with as many bites as it sounds like you have, you might wind up looking like a big sugar donut. Sorry Bay Bayou is not what it seemed for you.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thanks Bill and Pat for the recipe. That is one I'll have to try next time. I had some Cordizone 10 creme handy for a dry skin problem I have and used that. It does work when applied 3 to 4 times a day.

BTW-It has now been over 36 hours and the itching still has not ended for either of us.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:54 PM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Glenn,

Might want to consider Benedryl, which is used for allergic and itchy reactions. Just a thought. Hope you feel better real soon!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:38 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Benadryl also comes in a clear liquid which dries over the bite and effectively stops the itching. It's great for our Alabama chiggers. I wouldn't travel without it.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #13
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Glen,
It may not have been sand nats. I think I saw in the web page of that park and they had alot of oaks with spanish moss. Red bugs. It sounds just like their symptoms. Their bites last longer than no-seums. They welt up more also. The Benadryl clear liquid is great for them.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
jsmitfl, I do believe you are 100% correct. After a search I came up with the following....

A chigger or red bug is an immature stage (larvae) of the harvest mite. Like all mites, the harvest mite life cycle includes larva, nymph, and adult. In the last two stages, this mite feeds on plant materials. The stage that gets the attention of humans is the larval stage. This is the stage that is considered to be a pest, causing intense itching.

The tiny nymph (chigger) will infest humans (and other animals) usually when we work or walk in tall grass or other such undergrowth. The chigger has a mouthpart similar to that of a tick and uses this mouthpart for feeding. But, unlike ticks, chiggers do not feed on our blood.
A chigger's saliva will at first harden the walls of the hole made by its mouthpart. This hardening gives the chigger a "straw" to use for feeding and prevents our body from closing off the hole made by this pest. Once the chigger has made its hole, it can now feed. Its saliva will actually liquefy our skin cells which the bug now uses for food. After a larva is fully fed in four days, it drops off the host, leaving a red welt with a white, hard central area on the skin that itches severely and may later develop into dermatitis*.

The chemicals or proteins in a chigger's saliva will cause itching in the area where the tiny red bug feeds. This itching is delayed; we sense intense itching about 24 to 48 hours after being exposed to chigger bites. Some itching might be detected in 3 or 4 hours but the worst sensations (a day or two later) are what fool us into believing that we picked up chiggers (or red bugs, as they are sometimes called) in our lawn.
Having a terrible itch from red bugs or chiggers? Where were you yesterday or the day before? That area is usually the origin of infestation. This is very important when eliminating chiggers or harvest mites in all stages.
A chigger is too tiny to see with the naked eye but a group of them can be visible when they congregate on our ankles, waist or other body area. (These areas are preferred by the chigger because our skin is thinner and makes it easier for this microscopic pest to penetrate our skin for its meal.) When grouped together in large numbers they appear red in color. This is their natural color, not caused by blood feeding!

*I also did a Google Image search for "dermatitis" and came up with some very familiar looking images such as this one...

That picture looked just like my rash but mine covered 1/2 of my left for arm.

Old 03-01-2005, 02:45 PM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That's not a chigger bite, Glenn. The ones we get here in Alabama usually show up in body creases (that's why they like me....I have lots of creases!) and usually aren't any larger that a big black eyed pea. In Yankee language, a navy bean. But then there's always the possibility of an allergic reaction.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:27 PM   #16
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Glen If I had it as bad as that Id be doubling up on regular benadryl, maybe soak your arm to get rid of the fever it has to have, and if it has that reddish yellow look to it I,d be considering a Doc. to get some antibotics for infection.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:42 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The chiggers tend to travel on your body, also, and itch like crazy. In Kansas as a kid I got to be very familiar with them. I don't know if Benadryl even existed way back then. Mom always used Campo Phenique on them and that worked well.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:16 AM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Glenn,
Like Steve, I grew up in Kansas and chiggers loved me. However, since I am allergic to everything else, I was allergic to them and always got a huge reaction much like you are describing. Go to the Doctor. When my daughter was little and she was very allergic to bug bites and we were planning a trip back to Kansas the doctor had us give her heavy does of Thiamine (B12 I think) before we went. She only got one bite and it was small.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #19
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
benadryl also comes in a cream that works good also.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #20
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
this sounded really weird when my mother-in-law told me that Absorbine Jr. works good for bites, especially chiggers. the whole family did lots of campling, Boy scouts, girl scouts, and otherwise. well since I am very allergic to all sort of bites, i just dab a little absorbine jr. liquid on my bites and they almost always stop itching very soon. Even helped those giant mosquito and black fly bites up in the minnesota boundary waters.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote