Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
2010 - 3150RL check valve issue questions

Dumped the black tank and tried to use the
Black Tank Flush. Saw water coming out of bottom
of trailer so I quickly turned off the water tap. Checked
Inside the pocket door space and saw water.
Any one know how to access the check valve on
a 2010 - 3150 RL? Is this valve only for
the black tank flush, or does the city water hook
up use the same check valve? When we use
our fresh water tank and pump the check
valve doesn't seem to leak.

Greatly appreciate your input.
E

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
On my unit it is located beneath the bathroom sink. The black tank flush has it's own vacumn break / check valve. If I recall they charged me around 30.00 for the replacement.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
My pocket door track came loose during our last trip. While checking it out I noticed that ours is mounted in the same location. I don't see an easy way to get to it. So I'm subscribing to this topic, hoping someone knows.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
dpam,
When I had to redo my pocket door tract after it fell down, I was able to reach in the slot with my arm and do the screws in the track.
You might be able to reach in there and unscrew the fittings to the valve and remove the valve and replace it. Not easy but doable.
They did not do us any favor placing the valve so far back in there.

Another thing that might be possible is to cut an access through that angle cabinet and this would help access to the fittings. Check out plastic panels at the RV stores or make the cutout piece as a replacement panel. The hardest part cutting the panel out is to get something in the cabinet to cut with. Idea, might be a Dremel with the small circular saw blade.

If you reach back in the pocket, you will need to remove the pocket door from the track. You unlatch the leading edge with the cam, then tilt the door and slide and unlatch the back cam. You will probably have to remove the guide at the bottom if I remember right. You will need to remove the top trim piece over the door on the bedroom side. Easy to replace with brads or small brad nailer.

While you have the door out you might consider adding more screws to the track while you have the door out.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Not too uncommon for the plastic check valves that are currently installed to fail. Mine came failed from the factory. Not sure where yours is located, mine was behind the shower. Had to take the water spigot off and reach up in there to replace it. The dealer did mine under warrentee. I replaced the bad plastic one with a more expensive brass unit that hopefully won't fail (cost me $30 for the part).
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
dpam,
I think BrokenElbow is onto something. I just went out and checked mine out again. The tub faucet is mounted to a panel that sticks out from the tub surround. It looks like it is removable with four screws holding it. It looks like maybe you can reach up in there to get to the valve. The valve might even slide down some if tugged on.
Great info there BrokenElbow. Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I had to change mine and ask Keystone how to ge to it. Remove the shower valves and unhook the hot and cold water lines (mark them hot and cold) then loosen the clamps in the basement on the lines to the flusher. Reach in and pull the check valve to the hole where the valves were removed and you can work on the check.
I replaced plastic with brass check from Lowes.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
On the 2009 3400RL, the valve is also located behind the shower faucets in the pocket door area. I will need to change mine also because when I use the back flush for the black tank, the same thing happens. Water comes out thru the bottom of the camper. Where does one buy a new one? (either plastic or brass)
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
rji47: I got mine from our dealer. Sounds like awaywego got theirs at Lowes. I like replacing the plastic one with a brass unit. hopefully it will last because they can be hard to get to.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #10
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Thank you for all the input on how to replace
the check valve. This trip our circuit board for
the fridge failed so we couldn't use propane,
because the fridge would not light. The repair
cost for a new circuit board and trouble shooting
Labour is $400.00 so I put it through our extended
warranty , so depending on the labor cost
to replace the check valve I may also put
that through the extended warranty.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 AM   #11
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Does anybody got a part number or a link to what this check valve looks like at Lowes. Hate to go there and wander around for 3 hours looking for it and end up buying some tools and other stuff I didn't go there for and still not find it or forget what I went there for.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote