Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Give it up for the ladies!

Just had to tell everyone what a great DW that I have. We about had to cancel our trip to Myrtle Beach because of a ruptured disc that I have. My DW has only driven my big F350 SD crew DRW once in the four years that I have owned it. And NEVER pulled one of our RVs. She stepped up to the plate and said that she thought she could do it. I got her to the four lane and let her have it. She did great. I am really proud of her. Maybe now I can sleep on some trips and let her do the work. She also set the rv up (with me standing over her shoulder and telling her how to hook everthing up). A real champ. Kudos to all of the wives out there that handle the big rigs. Remember, "Behind every good man is usually a GREAT woman". Luv ya babe!!

chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Great story, glad she is a trooper, Good to have a team like yours.
My Sue took her training in the desert South west, baby steps to build confidence, she wasn't afraid....until the cities, we are working on that.
Good luck on the disc. Sue just had her second epidermal shot in the neck. Hope yours gets better.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
DW has been scared to even try, this 15-16 hour pull coming up at Thanksgiving to Destin may be her guinea pig run (at least for a period of relief). She doesn't know this yet, but I am confident that she can at least handle it on a short interstate run.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
My wife is great. In fact, she throws a fit if I don't let her drive if the run is over 150 miles or so. She wants two on and two off. We did that last run to TN and it was great. We have a checklist for hook up, set up and tear down - and she can do the whole thing. Now, it did take her 35 minutes to back into our back yard through a 12 foot gate....we still have a few things to work on.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen has been driving all of our rigs, everywhere , everyplace, any time. It is good to see all the ladies signed up for the driving school at the rally. Ladies..what makes you think you can not drive a large rig because you are a female and guys..what makes you think they can not drive a rig because they are female.Both driving makes the trip so much more enjoyable.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:12 AM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Wife and I just made a trip from KS to Alabama for our season opening football game. 18.5 hrs each way. She didn't drive on the road one bit -- as much as I asked, she would not and still will NOT drive with the 5th wheel attached (other than to pull it forward, back it up -- very short distances. I did manage to get her to drive it in one campground so that I could ground-guide her and you would have thought I was trying to take her purse -- the ruckus she made.) What is really amazing is she would drive when we had our cougar -- "but that was smaller".. Oh well -- Kudos to all you ladies who drive!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 AM   #7
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
This post thread is a great encouragement for all the ladies who have not dared to try driving the rig yet. I plan to have my wife read this thread when she gets home from work. Chieflawdawg.....what a great testimony about your relationship with your DW. Thanks
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Carla, I'm so proud of you. I am comfortable now driving the Dodge Dually. Have never towed anything. If I'm ever in a "have to" situation, I'll be sure and think of you to help me through it!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Wifeofdano, you don't want to wait for a "have to" situation. If that ever comes up, you'll have other more important things on your mind. You need to be comfortable knowing that you'll have no problems when you do "have to".
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Great story! My wife, April, has never towed anything larger than a wagon behind a tractor but she's eager (maybe just ready?) to learn how to do whatever needs done when we get our rig.
I'm sure she will do fine, if I can keep my big mouth shut while she's driving - - LOL.
She's a trooper just like Carla and Helen, and we are partners in all we do.
I think her song should be "I am Woman."
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I have pulled the Montana to the RV dealership and our 31.5 ft New Vision for about 50 miles. I haven't hooked up the rig and do feel queezy about doing the hookup. I had to drive hubby home from a friends house the other night as he had a little to many spirits in his system. I plan on driving his monster a little more. I am more worried about the hood and turn radius on his truck than having the rig behind me.

I would pull it in a heart beat, and would love to take the little baby steps that Ozz suggests. I think all of the wives/partners should be able to pull and hook up in case of an emergency.

Hubby is the one that is eating the door handle when I am driving That is in any vehicle that he is in the passenger seat.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Kathy is working on driving our rig, hooked up. It does take baby steps, but like others have said, we can't wait, until it is imperative; whether it is due to a broken bone or something worse, both need to know how to at least unhook and get going if need be.

She is driving the truck, a 1 ton crew cab dually. As most of you know, when a truck this size is parked, it usually spans two time zones! One thing that I have done to make the transition easier is to leave the mirrors extended. That way, she has a visual reference of where the fenders for the duals are. And, yes, we have nudged a few curbs, but oh well!

Next step is the 5er hooked up. Probably in another month!

And, Driftwoodgal, I am usually the one who is nervous, although I desperately try not to show it. My failing, and I am working on it...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #13
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
My wife Sallie was a bus driver/trainer for 18 years. I didn't have to ask her to tow our trailer. She says it's just like driving a school bus with power. On hooking up and setting up she has her job and I have mine. It's a lot easier to get the trailer set up with her help.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Michael, shame on you. Anyone who looks as good as she does should be chauffered everywhere she goes (and I'm not talking about the yellow lab ).
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:50 AM   #15
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
Good Morning:

My wife & I have approached our fifth wheeling as a "team effort". We each have our chores to set-up and take down

However, Since we started fifth wheeling -- she has done all the driving / towing.

Personally, I have found it easier giving her direction where I want the fiver positioned when we unhitch as well as backing it into the yard at home.

To date, we have only stayed on pull-thrus, but that will be changing soon, as we have more practice backing in and out of our back yard.

Funny thing, is I have been "enjoying" the passenger seat on the journeys we have taken.

When we drive to Florida -- I am sure we will split up the driving -- but it's gonna be hard to take the wheel from her hand -- she is enjoying this so much.
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:07 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It was funny. Helen drove the camper around the loop here the rally while I checked in. She had found the site and was backing in when I arrived. The guy next to us in a MH looked wide eyed at me and said.." she can drive that thing??I looked wide eyed at him and said.."well of course she can" he said" I would never let my wife drive ours" which says it all...' Clutch. I can relate to the school bus trainer.. Did the same thing.. Has anyone noticed that most school bus drivers are ladies and those yellow things are not small.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:59 AM   #17
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
well I am right with you, MAMalody's DW! That fit you throw must look a lot like mine . i am hopeing to get to the point of hooking it up and having it all set up at the campsite when DH arrives to grill the supper .... and hopefully it is a pull-thru site. i better find a large area to practice backing up.
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote