Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
Retread
Established Member

M.O.C. #4969
3000RK

My husband and I are interested in the 3000RK. Does anyone have a Montana w/rear kitchen? Do you have any problems with the kitchen being in the rear of the unit? Are there any obvious reasons NOT to have one with the kitchen in the rear? I like that one because it has more counter tops space and storage space. But a salesman mentioned broken things, etc.

Retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:49 PM   #2
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Retread,

We've had our 2850RK since March of 1999 in a few places most sane folks wouldn't drag one of these rigs and never broken anything.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:41 AM   #3
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have the 2950RK, the unit being replaced by the 3000RK. The only problem we have had with ours is that we have two drawers that kept coming open while we were coming down to Florida. Fixed the problem by spreading the male portion of the fastener a little bit with a screwdriver. We learned the hard way with our old 5'er to check behind the kitchen slide before opening it. That unit had one of the cabinet doors that woldn't stay closed. Didn't check the first time and heard this horrendous crack when we opened the slide for the first time.

We use a rubber based kitchen shelf lining (available at The Home Depot and Walmart that I know)between the plates and bowls. We also have this on the bottom of the kitchen shelf. Haven't lost anything and we have several of our favorite coffee mugs sitting in the cabinet.

We have had no problem with the kitchen in the rear of the unit. You can easily access the fridge, stove, sink, and cupboard with the kitchen slide in. You can also access the bathroom with the slide in.

We love ours.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:02 AM   #4
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
We have a 2006 3295rk. Different model but is still a rear kitchen. Haven't had any more problems with breakage than with previous rear living room layout. Our 2006 has shocks on it. Some of the earlier models did not. Don't know if they would be different or not.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:18 AM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
We don't have any more problems with ours than other units have. We also have shocks. Betty likes the RK because it offers a lot of shelf storage per given length. We have had this unit where Billy Goats go without problems. Some breakage will always occur.

Another thing I like about ours is that it is a functional unit without putting slides out.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
There's another fact to consider in the 3000RK - with the slides in, you can't get the refrigerator open. If you like to get drinks, snacks, etc, while traveling, this could be inconvenient. Otherwise, I think the new floor plan is a gem!
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:38 AM   #7
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
We have the 3295RK and have never had a problem with any breakage. I suppose if you are worried, you could go with plastic plates and cups, just to be safe.

I suppose the most obvious reason NOT to have a rear kitchen is if you prefer the rear lounge. Those are certainly nice, but I am sold on the rear kitchen now, as not having the galley in the middle of the trailer truly opens up the living space. That is the biggest draw of the 3295 for me.

By the way, I have not seen a floorplan of the 3000RK. Does anyone have a link to one?
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:27 PM   #8
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
We also looked at the 3000RK & were impressed until we had the salesman put the slider in---you can't access the kitchen at all with the slide in unless you are a contortionist or like climbing over the counter. Just thought I'd give you some food for thought--we like to stop on the road for lunch etc & don't want to have to put our slide out. Some places aren't conducive to slides out, ie: rest stops where the big rig trucks pull in next to you pretty close (might take your slide off). Also, the wear & tear on the slide.

As far as the rear kitchen, we have had a couple and are getting another one soon. We love them--lots of counter space & storage. Early on, I had a dish fall out of one and a cup handle broke on another trip. Other than that, no problems. I also use the non-skid lining on my shelves and between my baking dishes. We use paper plates or melamine dishes to eat on.

I would also caution you as did another person, be sure and check your cabinet doors before moving the slide in or out. A friend of ours tore a door off because it had come ajar & caught on the slider.

Have fun with whichever one you choose--pros & cons with them all. Just whichever suits your lifestyle.
Ronnilu
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:46 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have put approximately 35k to 40k miles on our rear kitchen 3295RK and have broken one dish. That was before we learned to put a small piece of nonskid (the same you use as shelf paper) between stacked breakable items. We have glass mixing bowls in the rearmost cupboard without problem.

I know every Montana since and including 2001 has shocks. Don't know about prior to that. Both our 2001 and our 2003 came standard with them.

I found if you adjust the door latches so the male is exactly centeredd with the female side you get the spring action working from both sides and we have no problem with doors opening on the road. Prior to that adjustment we did have some that wanted to open. We do strap one set of doors that have a lot of heavy items behind them that will slide into and push open the door but that cabinet is in the middle, under the TV.

Rear kitchen is not a problem as far as we are concerned.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #10
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
Retread,
We can't think of ANY reason NOT to buy the 3000RK!!! We keep trying to find "Something" wrong with it, but we can't!! We've had several things go bad, but it had nothing to do with the Monty itself. (They were all self inflicted!!) Oh well, live & learn. Will talk more later, just don't let the salesman steer you wrong - he obviously doesn't have one! Maybe we'll see you on the road one day!
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #11
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
RETREAD Christa and I purchsed a 2005 3650rk, it's great no broken or damaged ANYTHING!! Actually I find it nice, the girls have there own room to visit. No problem getting to food. We plan ahead, for most rest stops. And what the hick, hit the button and in seconds you can reach what you need, hit the button again and your good to go.....Much more kitchen counter space...... TO EACH THEIR OWN, either way you can't go wrong with a MONTANA and the good folks of this FORUM..

see you down the road John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I have a 2004 3650 RK, and had no problems in the kitchen at all. Ours was the year they had the Sunkin floor model, whihc gave it a nice separation from the rest of the coach. We are actually selling it, it is in great shape, if interested at all, email me at sfd124@twcny.rr.com. Good luck
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:03 AM   #13
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
We also have the 2004 3650RK and the rear kitchen is what sold the DW on buying that unit.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:32 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We looked at the 06 3650 Rk at the RV show this weekend as the wife liked the center island..however when I sat at the island and leaned on it it moved and i could shake it back a forth..It seemed to be very flimsy.....We left.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:24 AM   #15
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
We have the 3000RK. We have not had any breakage and Jan really likes the counter space. However, you cannot access the kitchen without opening the slide a few inches. Unfortunately, you can't move the main slide until the bedroom slide is fully extended unless you get the "hydraulic selector switch" option. I would recommend this option. You would think that Montana would have designed the system so that the main slide would be the first to open, since on the road you are more likely to want to access the kitchen than the bedroom.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote