Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #21
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Lots of good words of wisdom from everyone. Thank you. It's really a nice feeling to know that you care. I care alot about all of you. Can't wait to meet more of the moc family next weekend at our little mini-rally. I have only had about 5 today. I can't get Brad's situation out of my mind. Thinking back, I can remember in 4th grade seeing a cross section of a healthy lung and one of someone who smoked.
It was pretty bad. Wonder what mine look like.

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #22
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Lisa,

It is one of the toughest things you can do. When you are trully ready to quit, that is when you will and no one can tell you to do it. It has to be your decision. I quit smoking over 30 years ago. When I quit, it was cold turkey and it worked for me. No, it was not easy, as I was a very heavy smoker.

I know what happened to Brad could happen to anyone who smokes. My sister, Joy was a smoker. She was the picture of health. Anyone who met her, was struck by her outgoing personality. She had a good job, many friends and a loving family. At age 50, she started not feeling well (very unusual for her as she was so active and never sick.) Over the course of just a couple of months she felt worse and worse. After many tests, she found out she had lung cancer. She finally was diagnosed while in the hospital. She never made it home. She died 5 weeks after her diagnosis. This was 10 years ago and we still have trouble believing it could happen that quickly.

Al
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #23
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Lisa,

As someone who has quit numerous times over the years, don't let it bother you. Pick your date then, like an alcoholic, take it one day at a time. Sometimes, you have to take it hour by hour. Believe me I know. So far it has been over two years since I last quit, but I have to tell you there are still times that the urge to pick up a cigarette is overwhelming. The last time was actually this evening. I was repairing our 50 amp cord and our neighbor's wife was smoking. The smell was so overpowering, I almost asked her for one, but then I thought about how nasty I felt when I smoked and didn't. Bottom line, falling off the wagon is nothing to be ashamed of. We have all done it at least once, and at least I, still get the urge. Hang in there.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #24
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Lisa,
As long as you are trying you are ahead of the game, it's when you don't try you lose!

Ok, I have the husband who smokes. I never have so it's not fair for me to judge and give advice on quitting.

But I have seen my husband many, many times go through the emotions and work of quitting.

He has twice quit for a two year period and started again.

Today he smokes.......

And I'll be honest that it angers me when he smokes. I am scared that he might be a story of Brad or Al's sister Joy.

What will my life be like if I lose him.

So Lisa I would like to encourage you just keep trying, don't put yourself down. One day it will piece together. You will find the right method for you.

Best of luck.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:27 AM   #25
purplepig

M.O.C. #7124
I smoked for 35 years before I quit for good. Cold turkey was finally what worked for me. After several fails, my MIND was finally made up to quit. That is the key.....you truly want to quit! I played for a couple of years of quitting before I did.
My wife was not so lucky. She too smoked for 35 years plus. The day the doctor told her she had lung cancer and it was caused from cigs..., it wasn't hard for her to lay them down. She survived the cancer for twelve years, but in the process her body took a toll both mentally and physically.
I ask you in all kindness to please never give up!! Believe in yourself and you will kick the habit.......
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:57 AM   #26
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Denise - I AIN'T DOOMED YET!! Dory just runs faster than me now and my hose is only 50' long!

Incidentally - Emphysema is a progressive disease but you can stop it in it's tracks when you quit smoking providing you do it in the early stages. If you smoke, have smoked, and you are over 45, insist on a spyrometer test during your physical. It can really give you a good idea on where you stand and how urgent quitting needs to be for you.

If interested, here is a link to the Diane Rehm show where Grace Ann Dorney Koppel (Ted Koppel's wife) has been fighting off COPD as well as lung cancer as a result of smoking, and she has done pretty well. She talks about all of the indicators that were missed by her doctors. http://wamu.org/audio/dr/07/03/r1070301-12674.asx

Have the strength Lisa! Do it for yourself - do it for the ones close to you that will have to take care of you!
Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #27
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Good luck WifeofDano on your efforts to quit smoking.

I quit many years ago and save for a Montana!!!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #28
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That must've been one heck of a habit????? LOL!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #29
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
I'm really starting to get back into the right mindset to try this again. They really are nasty things! I'm having a FreeLife Party tomorrow at our house, so I've been cleaning since I got home! Every time I get the urge for a smoke, I just make myself keep cleaning. Not that I haven't had any, but I would have had a lot more. I not only have to clean the house but also the Montana! Got to show it off, plus with the mini rally next week, I have to do it any way! You guys are great! Thanks for the support! Well, got to go do the dusting! WHERE IS MY MAID AT?! lol
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #30
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Keep us informed, we will be praying for your inner strength, willpower and success!! You can do it!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:26 AM   #31
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847

You've got a good attitude and your honesty is refreshing! Keep on trying and you will be successful!!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #32
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Lisa,
Like Brad, I also smoked for 35 years and am paying the price now. I have been diagnosed with exertional asthma, definitely in my case, a byproduct of smoking, and can't even make it up a flight of stairs without stopping to get my breathing under control. When I go for walks I have to make sure there are no inclines or slopes as my lungs just can't get enough air to keep me going. I now get to see a pulmonary dr. on a regular basis for the the rest of my life and hope that the meds will enable me to follow my dreams of traveling throughout our country.
I guess what I'm trying to say, is "cigarettes are NOT your friend." For over 30 years whenever I thought about quitting, I just couldn't envision being without "my friends." When you finally make that transition to treating them as an enemy, I know you'll be able to get them out of your life.
I have become a dreaded ex-smoker and can't even tolerate smoke in any form, whether it's cigarettes or smoky campfires.
It is so nice to not let a nicotine and chemical stick rule my life anymore......no more standing in the rain or in an alley trying to get one more puff. Living on the West Coast you will find a very low tolerance for smokers and that's another motivation to quit. I got tired of begging my non smoker friends to go outside with me so we could chat while I puffed my life away.
I don't know what methods you've tried, but I used Nicotrol, the cartridge inhaler, and it really helped me quit. It's been six years now and I still occasionally have nightmares where I started smoking again and I'm furious at myself for lighting up. I very seldom even have a craving and when I do, it passes within a few seconds.
Be a friend to yourself and keep trying.....one day it will take and you'll be so glad you did it!!

Judy

judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #33
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Just a question... if you were pregnant would you give up smoking for your baby? The first time I stopped was when I found out I was pregnant. I started back after our son was born. I gave it up again about 4 years later. I am just as important as my unborn child was back then. My son, now 28, doesn't want to live without his mother because of some type of cancer.

I gave it up both times cold turkey, but that is really hard. I did use jalepenos to bite into when I had a craving. The pepper takes your mind off any thought of a cigarette.

Hubby used the Nicoderm patches to quit after 40 years of smoking. He followed the instructions on the boxes and DID NOT wear them at night as they caused nightmares and trouble sleeping. He went to using Bandits after that....that just prolonged the addiction to the nicotine, but heah I was glad it wasn't going into his lungs. He is now chewing gum and glad he quit.

It is such a hard thing to overcome, but you can do it. It might take more than one try, but don't give up. Your LIFE is important to many people that don't want to lose you to a premature death.

My prayers are with you and your struggle. It isn't easy, but as others have posted it can be done. Don't hide your lapses, just reach out for the support that you need to rid yourself of an addictive habit.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote