Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
homendn
Established Member

M.O.C. #6008
Send a message via ICQ to homendn Send a message via Yahoo to homendn
New Member with a New 3295RK

I have posted a couple of times but figured this was the place to jump in with both feet.

I picked up my 2007 3295RK yesterday from the dealer. In a previous life - the one I traded in for the tana - I pulled a Terry Quantum bunkhouse. Nice Trailer, one slide, slepts lots of kids, NO Kitchen to speak of. After putting close to 20K miles on it running from SOCAL to Southern Oregon and back with it, I had a pretty good idea how to stay in front of it in most situations. I stressed a bit - OK a lot - about upping the weight and length in trailers. Here is the amazing part - with the front cap on the Montana, the underbelly closed in and changing back to the Ford OEM tires, the thing pulled like a DREAM! Gas mileage actually went up. I never knew how hard the TV was working pulling that other trailer. It was never overweight, just pulled hard.

So - that intro over - My name is Dave and the wife is Penny. We live in East San Diego County - Lakeside to be a bit more specific. I have three kids and 5 grandkids. Sure to be more as my youngest son just married his long time sweetheart a couple of weeks ago. I do most of the RV'ing. I am always on the run to Southern Oregon and Central CA visiting oldest son and family. Dad died a couple years back and I kept taking the RV up while he was sick. Now take it at least twice a year to visit with his wife and make sure all is well just before winter and after spring sets in.

I have to admit that this is the first time that Penny has truly gotten excited about getting out and about with RV.

Having spent a day with it now, I have found a couple of things that I truly love and a couple that are going to prove challenging. I saw on another post where the person had found a pad for the bathroom skylight. Waiting for answer to that one. Love the space!! Even the fireplace is cool. I really didn't want it, cuz of the extra weight ....... well ....... Like I said - pretty nice. The stove in the kitchen will be a challenge. With the fan and the convection/microwave, getting to and seeing the back burners is intersting. I am six feet tall and have to stoop to see the pots!! About the only other thing I have noticed and this didn't happen at the dealer during delivery, is that the kitchen slide near the entry door seems to scrape the rug real bad when it wracks out. Hmmmm - Somthing to watch .....

I pull the RV with a Single wheel, 2005 F350, 6.0L Diesel, FX4 Offroad package. When I went to hitch up I was convinced that I was going to have to raise the hitch at least one notch. Nope - Nada - Hinda - went right on and with a tweak of the airbags the trailer is straight and level. From all the posts here about hitches and bags and ALL the other GREAT info, I was ready to pick that thing up and had a Really GOOD idea of what to expect!! This site is AWESOME!!

Enough words for the time being - back out to the RV and play with something else!!

Dave and Penny Homen

homendn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Congrats on the new rig...you'll love it. I have a 2007 3400RL on order along with a 2007 Silverado 3500 DRW D/A CC. So it'll be Christmas in August around here! Looks like you've got a good TV, too...these things, especially the pin weight, are heavy.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Welcome Dave and Penny. You have a real nice unit. We had been looking at that model for years and right up until we signed the papers I was still undecided between it and the 3400. Share your adventures with us.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Welcome Dave and Penny to the Moc and congratulations on your new Montana. We are so glad that you are here and look forward to seeing your post and hearing about all your great adventures. Happy RVing.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the Montana family. Happy RVing...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome and congatulations on the new Montana. I am sure you will have many happy adventures with it.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Welcome to the Montana family. Please check out the spring rally over Memorial Day weekend at Lake Siskiyou. This will be our third. We live in southern Oregon. Where do you stay when you come up here? We just got back this morning from Lake of the Woods.

Roy just unscrewed the lower half of the skylight and folded over a very heavy black screen and screwed the lower part back on so the doubled over screen is in the middle. It works great. It still lets in light but not a lot and cuts the heat way down.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #8
homendn
Established Member

M.O.C. #6008
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by toolmanroy

Welcome to the Montana family. Please check out the spring rally over Memorial Day weekend at Lake Siskiyou. This will be our third. We live in southern Oregon. Where do you stay when you come up here? We just got back this morning from Lake of the Woods.

Roy just unscrewed the lower half of the skylight and folded over a very heavy black screen and screwed the lower part back on so the doubled over screen is in the middle. It works great. It still lets in light but not a lot and cuts the heat way down.
Thanks for the tip. I will go look at that now. I am setting in the new trailer. No thirty amp service here at the house so sweating and having fun.

I am always headed up to Lakeview. I make the run through Vegas and Reno and then home. I like the Nevada run .........Less traffic and better roads.

Thanks again!!!!

Dave
Old 07-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #9
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Congrats on the new Montana and welcome to the forum. This is the best resource out there for information on almost anything you can think of RV and TV related!
Have fun,
tara krumm
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:25 AM   #10
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Congratulations Dave on the new Montana, There will be many more things to play with.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #11
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Hi & welcome to the forum Dave. I almost feel like a newcomer myself. We were checking out all the info on this site for several months, but have been gone & on the road for awhile and this is the first chance I've had to come back and see what's new. We just got back from a 3 1/2 month trip to the East Coast in our new '06 3295RK. Put 11,000 miles on our truck but what a trip we had. I felt somewhat like you when we moved up to the longer & heavier unit, but after this trip I am totally happy with all aspects. Regarding your concern with the kitchen slider, we had/have a similar problem with it dragging and scuffing the carpet. Our dealer had to cut off some of the bottom trim but it is still dragging. Needless to say, as soon as we get it unloaded it is going back to the dealer for some warranty work - including the slider problem, a couple of leaks, etc.
We found the shower skylight a bit bright in the mornings, so I got a piece of 1/4 inch thick foam posterboard (WalMart), cut it to size and mounted it to the framework with window screen clips (they turn so you can remove the posterboard as needed. The nice thing about this posterboard is that the finish is plasticized and doesn't soak up any moisture from the shower. If necessary, wipe dry & you are done. Anyway, this is way too long but I know you will enjoy your new rig. (:
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #12
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Hi and welcome to the forum. Instead of taking the skylight apart, we bought a cheap windshield reflector and cut it to size. Stuck it on with velcro. It keeps the heat and light out but when we are in cooler climes, we can remove it easily for that solar gain.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:41 AM   #13
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We actually went that route first, but the Velcro kept coming loose.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #14
homendn
Established Member

M.O.C. #6008
Hi everyone and Thank You!! Ironically enough, the skylight is the same size as the window in the door - 16X24 - so was thinking of getting another window cover and using it in the shower. I agree that the velcro and the sticky backed tape will probably fall off. The idea of getting plasiticised (sp?) board and using screen holders appeals to me.

Was going to take the little guy [TIC] out this weekend to Nevada but the forecast is for "Dangerous" heat here in SOCAL and even hotter out there so we have decided to postpone for a bit. It still needs to gas out a lot so here is an opportunity to just let it set with the windows open.

On another note - I figured the dealer was going to have to remove some material from the area that drags on the carpet. I checked the other end in the kitchen and it is cut off about 3/4 inch above the floor. Will get that done once we get it somewhere we can use it and try everything else. OBTW - What leaked? I have kept the water system pressurized since bringing it home and all seems sound there. Also set all the tanks and watched for leaks in the plumbing. The bathroom/bedroom sink drain was loose but I caught it before I poured water down it.

Thanks again!!

Dave
Old 07-22-2006, 06:32 AM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Be aware that double stick tape (except for industrial strength) and sticky back velcro loose somewhere around 110-114 degrees. The heavier velcro (industrial) did okay mosst places. Heat can cause almost as many problems as cold.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote