Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
dkkirkland
Established Member

M.O.C. #21964
New unit headaches 3791RD

We bought a 3971RD this past Friday and we noticed Saturday hydraulic fluid leaking underneath the dinette slide. We looked at the fittings for the hydraulic lines for the jacks and they are so corroded they look like they're 10 years old. All four of the fittings for the rear jacks look this way. The front fittings look brand new as they should. (See pics). We took it to the dealer first thing Monday morning and it turns out the leak is a cylinder for the dinette which they ordered parts. We told them we want the fittings for the hydraulic lines replaced. They said it was probably caused from salt when it traveled from Indiana. We told them we looked at other Montanas on the lot and they did not look that way. They also stated they didn't know how long it was on the lot. We responded that this is new and we expect it to look new. It is our hope that Keystone will do the right thing and approve the replacement of these fittings.

Additionally, we turned on the valve in the bottom of the pantry closet for the water to make ice in the icemaker. Fortunately I had placed about 8 mega rolls of paper towels in the bottom of the closet because the valve leaked water all night. The paper towels were individually wrapped in plastic so they absorbed the water as it leaked and kept it in each roll instead of causing damage to the RV. We are going to fix the leak ourselves.

My question is has anyone else had these problems on a brand new unit like we have?

dkkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
dhenry3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18670
same issue

Our 2018 3791 had a leak on the water valve also. I got rid of the plastic ferrels and went with brass.No more leak. I also had to send the inverter for the fridge back to manufacturer for replacement. They had one to me in three days.No other problems as of yet.

dhenry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First, welcome to the forum! There are always going to be some issues on brand new units, many caused by the speed at which the haulers travel out of Goshen, some caused by the dealers and most caused by the speed of the assembly line at the plant. The dealer should replace those fittings weather Keystone does or not, IMHO, but if they don't know when the rig arrived and how long it was on their lot, I don't have a lot of confidence they could get Keystone to do anything. It really is all about the dealer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
As DQ Dick stated "Welcome to the Forum" and you have learned now one of the reasons this Forum was formed. It is to find out what is going on with the unit and ask questions and get answers about your unit.
First of all-- How is this dealer that you have bought you unit from? I truly thing they are trying to give you the run around. IF a dealer does not have records on the unit and can't tell you when it came into their lot, they are worthless dealer, as far as I'm concerned. I'm just wondering if they are selling you a USED unit that came down to Florida with some snowbirds and they don't want to let you know it is used. You don't say what year the 3971RD is and I have a sneaking suspicion that this could be the case. As DQDick stated the transporters could have brought it down there last winter over salt treated roads coming out of Goshen OR it could have come down from up north by a prior owner on the same type roads.
If it were me, I'd be calling Keystone Customer Service and talking to them. Have your Vin# available and they can tell you when the unit was transported and where it went. If it didn't come to your dealer, I'd be asking the dealer where he got it from. You can check to see what your unit's birthdate was by checking the little plaque or sticker on the drivers side of the unit by the Level-up access door. This will also have your Vin# on it.
Keep us informed on what you find out and especially who the dealer is that you purchased this unit from and seems to be giving you the run around on the hydraulic system.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What Rondo said .keystone n can track down the RV with the VIN #
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #6
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
If they sold you a used unit as new someone will be going to jail.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:26 AM   #7
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
We purchased a new 2017 3791RD back in November and have had several problems so far. Had to cancel our first outing as in my pre-trip inspection of the unit I found that the unit had been mis-wired at the factory and the frame was holding a charge! Ice-maker water line leak, self-leveling system didn't level, rear a/c unit malfunction (internal divider installed incorrectly), and miscellaneous other issues that I'm told are just minor adjustments and not covered under warranty...good thing I know a thing or two on how to make these "minor adjustments" myself. There are a lot of limitations in the "limited warranty"!
wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #8
dkkirkland
Established Member

M.O.C. #21964
We know this isn't used but a new unit. I checked the date and its Feb 8 2018. My husband told the dealer if we would have seen the fittings before we purchased it we wouldn't have bought this unit. The dealer is camping world so not sure if we'll get them to replace. We are going to sit tight and wait to hear about the fittings from dealer who reached out to Keystone and see what happens. If we don't get good news then we're going to call keystone directly. Thank you for all your input. The hardest thing for us now is this is our home so we can't just turn it over to someone and wait for it to be fixed.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Welcome to the forum. We have a 2018 3790RD and have not had the same issues, although I will be adding the CAT hydraulic oil additive to the leveling system to cure the popping noise.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecker1 View Post
We purchased a new 2017 3791RD back in November and have had several problems so far. Had to cancel our first outing as in my pre-trip inspection of the unit I found that the unit had been mis-wired at the factory and the frame was holding a charge! Ice-maker water line leak, self-leveling system didn't level, rear a/c unit malfunction (internal divider installed incorrectly), and miscellaneous other issues that I'm told are just minor adjustments and not covered under warranty...good thing I know a thing or two on how to make these "minor adjustments" myself. There are a lot of limitations in the "limited warranty"!
Bad dealer. Apparently no PDI by him. Call Keystone. On a new unit those are all warranty issues, and not minor adjustments.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #11
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Welcome to the forum. Something I do before every trip. I put about 1/3 tank of freshwater in the tank, then run water to all the faucets to "charge" them I use the water pump. (including water heater) I then turn the ice maker off in the res fridge. (leave valves open to ice maker) With the water system pressurized I turn off the water pump. No city water connection. Or at least it is off. Oh and make sure DW is not going to use water.

Then in the morning I turn on the water pump. If the pump comes on I have a leak. If it does not come on I am good to be a happy camper. Also make sure you have the tank fill valve turned off. took me 3 days of chasing my tail on that one!!

It really does not take a big leak to get the pump to run.

I do a slight variation as part of my PDI. Just not over night, but as long as I can. Nothing gets a water leak fixed faster if it is holding up the sale.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #12
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Congrats on the purchase. My advice would be to load it up and use it for a few days at least, asap. Exercise every switch, valve, slide, tanks, and anything else that moves. Write down everything that doesn't operate as it should. Verify that every labeled switch operates what it says it does. Initial quality issues are easier handled right away than after months, for many dealers anyway.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #13
dkkirkland
Established Member

M.O.C. #21964
Thanks for all the advice. We will definitely try the options for testing for a leak and you can bet we will have all other issues written down when we go back to get the dinette slide cylinder installed.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #14
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
The PDI was a joke as out of the 11 items on the punch-out list only three were completed on our scheduled purchase/pick-up date. I had to assist with the remainder to get us out the door as the wife and I had to drive 5 hours home for another appointment the following morning. Wouldn't have been so bad if the salesperson hadn't told me the day before that everything was already done. Lesson learned, allow time to spend the night or more when picking up a new unit to allow for proper punch-out execution. The specific issues mentioned except for the levelers were the ones that Keystone approved as repairs. The other miscellaneous items were things like slide covers out of adjustment (retracting ruffled), main door closing hard (scraping door jam), detached junction box in cellar...CW wanted 2 hours labor @ $125 per to remove and realign to door. I've made the adjustments to these items with the exception of the door as it's not an absolute requirement at this time but with a new unit you would expect these things to be taken care of without any hassles.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #15
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecker1 View Post
The PDI was a joke as out of the 11 items on the punch-out list only three were completed on our scheduled purchase/pick-up date. I had to assist with the remainder to get us out the door as the wife and I had to drive 5 hours home for another appointment the following morning. Wouldn't have been so bad if the salesperson hadn't told me the day before that everything was already done. Lesson learned, allow time to spend the night or more when picking up a new unit to allow for proper punch-out execution. The specific issues mentioned except for the levelers were the ones that Keystone approved as repairs. The other miscellaneous items were things like slide covers out of adjustment (retracting ruffled), main door closing hard (scraping door jam), detached junction box in cellar...CW wanted 2 hours labor @ $125 per to remove and realign to door. I've made the adjustments to these items with the exception of the door as it's not an absolute requirement at this time but with a new unit you would expect these things to be taken care of without any hassles.

I would have walked. The door would have been a showstopper.

Which CW is it?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #16
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
How I got a deal on a new 5er. Transporter given paperwork to deliver in FL. Fl dealer put it on back ,lot waiting on paperwork. Dealer in SC is waiting on it ~~ and waiting. By the time Keystone figured it out the 2017.5 models were out. SC dealer wanted it, FL dealer did not so a transporter was sent to FL to bring it to SC. I looked, SC dealer stated up front what happened and extra 1800 miles pulled. So ~~ new unit sat 4.5 months dealer offered 40% off I offered 55% off. Dealer had conversation with Keystone and next day we had a deal, 51% off.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #17
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
The door was fine at the PDI but since then has developed this symptom. Keystone stated that this should have been addressed within the first 90-days. Was still working at the time and didn't have much time to use the RV and thus didn't notice the issue. The sales dealership was Lazy Days in Tampa, FL. We also had to have the unit cleaned inside and out after we took possession of the unit which is obviously one of the things that they should have done prior to pick-up. They (LD) committed to paying to have the unit cleaned (in writing) so after getting the unit home we contracted mobile cleaning services, had the unit washed/waxed, carpets cleaned, etc., and they reimbursed all costs.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #18
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Keystone gave my dealer the same BS on the door and kitchen slide. CW raised hell with them and they covered half and CW covered the rest.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #19
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
We bought our '14 3150RL from Tiara in Elkhart. We told them we would stay in it for 3 days on their lot before leaving for our home in Missouri. Bought it over the phone, gave them 10 days to do the pdi and fix what ever they found.

On the walk thru, found the door would not shut, was hitting the drip rail, anode rod not in water heater. Splendede drain hose stuck down drain so far, it siphoned all the water as it filled. The toilet would not hold water.

They said, we need to order a new door, nope, that is a new door, install it properly, why is anode rod not in Water heater, dugh, they never hooked it up to water, they air tested it at the factory. Toilet, we need to order a toilet, nope, get me a seal kit, we don't get paid for repairs, only replacement. I called Thetford, explained situation, when we got back to Missouri, the parts were on our front porch. I fixed it in about 30 minutes.

On the way home the closet doors fell off. Fixed them my self. Fell off again. Bungied them open, perfect for the last 4 years.

Had Morryde X Factor braces installed at Tirara. New wet bolts, never greased,

So, not just your dealer. Had a decent price from Tiara, but their service sucks.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:40 AM   #20
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We look at build dates and if the unit has any chance of being delivered on salt roads be bypass the unit for another. We looked one time at a SOB brand and it was so rusted under the unit i thought it was used and it was brand new just delivered. and of course the dealer says if you buy it we will fix it. Yea Right. Look for build dates between may through november and you should be safe.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote