Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Problem found during delivery

Hello Group,

Those of you that have bought new, what problem/problem's did you find during delivery or immediately there after?

Did the dealer have the unit connected to elec, water, sewer during PDI?

What year and model do you have?

Thanks Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Where do I start???
Dealer only had rig hooked up to 110 power. No sewer, no fresh water in tank, no water in grey tank. No demo of fireplace. Unit was filthy on the exterior (we had asked that it be washed prior to delivery date). Umbilical cord was pulled out of junction box under the pin box. Screen door was binding on light switch on door frame (something else we asked to be corrected before delivery). All the time dealer was saying "We'll take care of it, come in and sign the paperwork". We stuck to our guns and signed NOTHING until we were satisfied. It was an unpleasant experience on what should have been an exciting and happy day. Getting warranty work through this dealer was another nightmare. We will NEVER go back to him nor recommend him to anyone. We envy those with pleasant purchase/delivery experiences. Likely this is the last Montana ( or any other RV ) that we will buy. If chance happens that we do buy another we will be MUCH more selective regarding the dealer. With all this said, we do love the model we selected.
My recommendation is to download and print out the MOC PDI and run it verbatum. You'll be glad you did. One more thing, don't accept the unit unil you are satisfied with it. Once they have your money, you lose whatever leverage you had and you are at the dealers mercy. Walk away if you have to. It's downright amazing how they will move heaven and earth when there's money sitting on the table. YMMV. Best of luck! Hope all goes butter smooth for you!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Im sorry you had such a bad experience. there is no excuse for your mistreatment. Yet I'm sure there are many here who had good experiences. Ours was excellent. I would suggest, that if there is question about a dealer service, ask here on the MOC, in advance of doing business. Excellent advice is available here.
At our store, we do have water and electric. We also have a dumping station for use if you so desire. In the case of new units the clean never used tanks can just be dumped on the asphalt and run into our ramp drains.
You deserve good service. It is part of what you purchased.
Montana is a great product. It should be presented and serviced accordingly.
Do your homework, and buy from someone reputable.
I wii offer help to anyone.
We have a 2010/3455SA and are about to trade for a 2014 /3900 FB Big Sky . We're just waiting until mid June to get the newest upgrades.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
What Jay said. Don't sign a darn thing until everything is to your satisfaction. For us, we requested before hand that tanks have water in them and be connected to shore power. As Jay said, take the MOC PDI list with you and follow it. DO NOT feel that an item is too inconsequential to bring up. If it has a door or drawer open and close it, if it has a switch, turn it on and off. Operate everything. We took my brother and his wife with us to help with the visual inspection. If you have someone to take with you, I highly recommend this. Plan on spending quite a bit of time going over everything. We spent 2-1/2 hours on ours. Everything we found was minor and was fixed on the spot while we were looking at other things. I can't say enough good things about our dealer and their service department. I hope you are as lucky as us. Good luck and enjoy you new rig.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My dealer did everything right and I still found a cracked landing gear leg when I looked ours over. They replaced it before we left, but if I hadn't caught it who knows what would have happened, but it probably wouldn't have been fun.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Denfinger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13210
For all of the factory installed items our dealer in Cincinnati was awesome and went right down the Factory check-off list. They had a space set-up where you could spend the night on property with full hook-up but we chose to go to a campground nearby. All really was well until we ran the dealer added second AC in the front and smells start coming out. We had our local dealer in Nashville check it out and the AC box in the master was never sealed and was sucking out sewer smells in the attic. Also, the power line for the second unit was hooked up inside of the air return space and not inside the electric box per code. It all worked but the tech who put it in, obviously did not read the manual or follow codes. Our local dealer did not want to touch it. I dropped the air distribution box from the master unit and sealed and re-hooked up the wiring per code. Now we are back on track. Hard to check it all out, but the more you do, the happier you will be. We always choose to vote with our money, so holding the money until completely satisfied is very important. Our walk-through lasted 3 hours.
Denfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
No problems with our dealer, hooked up to city water, water in tank(s) hooked to sewer, TV cable hooked up, 50amp service. We ran pump and city water, black water tank flush, A/C operation (furnace was operating when we went in. We did find problem with the furnace remote that was corrected, and a cable T that had high resistance. Other then that everything was good. And pretty much has been every since (check those commode seat pins) We have a good dealer here. Our last purchase was from a national chain and was not near as good. You will find good and bad, some have good sales people, poor finance people, and poor PDI people, or a combination of good and bad or all bad or all good. When we talked to the finance manager at the national chain and declined the extended warranty for the 5th time in 15 minutes, when she tried to go for a 6th time, I stopped the sale and walked out. They called us and ask us to return and deal with a different finance person, we agreed and no mention of extended warranty, imagine that. Remember you hold ALL the cards until you sign the contract and depending on your state laws, you have the ability to back out of that contract for a specific time frame.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Our PDI in 2003 was two people, 8 hours, climbed in closets, on roof, under unit. Had 40 ticket list items. A week later they finally had em fixed. Then they got the $$. Too bad I could not have held it back until I found the holes they put in the awning while they were rolling it around their yard fixing those 40 items. SIGHHH.

Reminds me one of the reasons we have not traded. Oh, and the little item of being able to pay for a new one! LOL
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
We are on our second Montana and not a problem with either. However I think that is due to having a good dealer. A good dealer will go over that unit looking for problems so he can fix them and bill the cost back to Keystone as warranty. Both units were hooked up to electric and water.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #10
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
During our PDI we found no issues, except for the generator dying under heavy load. They promptly replaced the regulator and that did not help. I double checked the propane tanks and the valve on one had been opened too fast so it was restricting flow. After I cleared that issue all was good.

Our PDI experience was great and the dealer was very patient in going through our multi-page list of items to check. As stated by others, take your time, document all defects/issues, and do not sign off till they have been addressed.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Larry, you're absolutely right. Do your homework and get recommendations from the MOC.
We have learned so much.
Choose wisely grasshopper!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

Im sorry you had such a bad experience. there is no excuse for your mistreatment. Yet I'm sure there are many here who had good experiences. Ours was excellent. I would suggest, that if there is question about a dealer service, ask here on the MOC, in advance of doing business. Excellent advice is available here.
At our store, we do have water and electric. We also have a dumping station for use if you so desire. In the case of new units the clean never used tanks can just be dumped on the asphalt and run into our ramp drains.
You deserve good service. It is part of what you purchased.
Montana is a great product. It should be presented and serviced accordingly.
Do your homework, and buy from someone reputable.
I wii offer help to anyone.
We have a 2010/3455SA and are about to trade for a 2014 /3900 FB Big Sky . We're just waiting until mid June to get the newest upgrades.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote