Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Phil Eyler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9197
What battery?

I'm going to replace my 4 yr. old battery. The battery I have has no markings to indicate what exactly I should replace it with. I hardly ever dry camp. I stay at RV campgrounds that have 30 or 50 amp service. I spend the winter in Florida hooked up to 50 amp service. I have found all kinds of batteries at all kinds of prices. I am dumbfounded. Any body have any suggestions? I really appreciate all the advice I have received from the members of this forum. You folks have saved me many times and I appreciate your help.

Phil Eyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I just went to NAPA and got the best deep cycle interstate battery they had (in my case a pair) and didn't worry about it any further.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
As a general rule, the more you pay, the better the battery.
For my truck, I got 2 Platinum sealed cell batteries from Sears. I don't skimp on batteries for it.
But for the Montana, I got low cost 6 volt batteries from Sam's club. (In my case;6 of them.)
For you, I would suggest getting a mid-priced 12 volt Deep cycle battery where-ever you shop, Sears, Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco. You outlined that you always stop in RV parks, so that should be good for you.
Good luck!
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The amount you use your battery should dictate what size and price range you might want to consider.

I have two Interstate deep cycle batteries and would not expect to be able to extend and retract my 4 slides and operate the landing gear more than twice without having to recharge them. I "always" put my slides in while still hooked to shore power before departing a park, and "always" wait until I have hooked to shore power to run the auto level and extend the slides upon arrival at a park.

Operating hydraulic pumps with low voltage can do lots of damage to the pump.

With only one battery your dry camping would be "very" limited indeed baring some means of recharging. By the sounds of it you will seldom use the battery exclusively but when you do need it, it is nice to have one that will handle the job.

I would purchase a mid priced ($170.00) deep cycle marine/rv battery in a Group size 27. That should meet all your requirements. The warranty period on a battery is usually a good indicator of it's quality.

If you carry a set of booster cables you will never be without sufficient power to operate the landing gear and slides using your truck batteries. Boy Scouts are always prepared.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Our use is very similar to yours. I bought a Walmart deep cell for about $57 bucks in July. Did the same thing when the original battery quit. Got right at 3.5 years out of each the original and the first replacement. Jim