Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #21
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I have always driven our trucks and feel very comfortable driving them. If we go on a trip solo, I do part of the driving. I had not towed the Monty until last spring when we had sort of an emergency and I drove out of the campground, onto the freeway, drove about 30 miles, got off the freeway, made several left turns and got us to the new CG. So I know I can do it. I can't drive anything more than an hour as my injured leg goes numb. That is the reason I was afraid before. However, I am still best at navigating and Ed needs me to do that.
Happy trails..................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #22
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
DH does most of the driving cuz I have a tendency to fall asleep while riding in any vehicle. I have driven everything from a school bus, ambulance, postal left hand drive vehicles to a forklift. I am comfortable backing up anything big except when the thing behind me moves!! I haven't mastered backing up the Casa and defer to DH's great backing abilities!!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #23
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Urge every lady to be able to yank your rig down the road, SAFELY

If you fear backing up, don't get in a spot where you have to do that. (that would be Moi, thank you)

Over the years, I have driven the pop up, the bunk house, the TT and the 5er, oh, and the boat. I prefer the 5er over all the rest.

Sometimes I HAD to, as Al was sick (hot dogs - food poisoning) or hurt (frisbee and my brother - bad combo). I have also driven because he was tired, or just cause I wanted to!

That ladies driving class is the bomb! The guys teaching it are wonderful!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #24
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I want my wife to learn so she can teach me.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #25
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I do about 75% of the driving of our rig, by choice mostly, but also because Wayne takes some meds that make him sleepy at times, and it's not safe for him to drive. I'm still not totally comfortable backing up into a camping space unless there's a lot of room around it on both sides, but once the snow melts and we can move the Monty, I will be practicing backing up again. I've driven a Ford F-350 (crew cab) for years, so the truck part never bothered me. And since we lived in Austin for years, traffic doesn't bother me, either. But that backing up . . . well, I don't want to be the one who puts the first dents in the Monty!
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #26
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Gals
Here is a little hint about backing into a campsite. Ask the manager if someone can help you or even do it. It works, trust me. And you don't have to bat your eyes, just say you need help.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:25 AM   #27
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Rosetta shares in the driving. From day one I wanted her to drive becase you never know when you may need it. I also like the idea of being able to look at the countryside and not just the highway. When she first started I told her to drive whatever speed she felt comfortable at. If people think she was driving to slow then they could pass. She has driven on the Interstate and in some areas where construction was going on where you had minimal clearance and handled it well.

George
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:25 AM   #28
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
I wish I could convince my DW that she could drive. She will not even drive the truck without 5er. She is a very good driver. Just lacks the confidence with the RV.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:28 AM   #29
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Les,
Try taking her to a parking lot on a Sunday morning where she has no chance of running into anything and maybe she will be more comfortable giving it a try. If you can make the Fall Rally, have her sign up for the ladys driving course.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:45 AM   #30
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Earlene has never driven the RV's. She drivs her car all the time, even when I go somewhere with her in it. So that is my time to get "even." "Turn left, Turn Right, Turn Signal Is On, You Are Following To Close, You Have To Much Space Between Vehicles." So that's how it goes.

In the RV I have Tom Tom 1, and Earlene is Tom Tom 2. It's so strange that my hearing is perfect with Tom Tom 1, but Tom Tom 2 sometimes seems so distant that I can't hear it.

I limit myself to 250-300 miles a day in driving, and many days are less than 250. Occasionally, Earlene will let her eyelids droop, but not to often. We both have to be alert for cows and horses for Miya.

Sometimes I wish she would "learn" how to drive, but I'm not really bother by it in the RV.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:53 AM   #31
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
When we had the class C motor home, DW would call me at work on Friday afternoon and ask if I wanted to go fishing. When I said yes she would say GREAT, I'll pack up, and pick you up at work, we'll leave from there. To her it felt like driving a regular van. When we got the class A, she would only drive on the open highway, and even then, not very often. I have gotten her to drive the 5er on the open highway, but again not very often, and NEVER in town or a freeway interchange. I like the idea of taking a Sunday morning for some confidence building. Backing practice will also help her understand what I need to know when she is directing me. In an absolute emergency I think she would try, but if there was time to make arrangements to have the 5er transported she would opt for that. I notice that we guys dance around directly saying that our co-pilots sometimes feel we are not as good a driver as we think we are. (How am I doing?) The reality is that IF my DW put as many hours driving the 5er on highways, through town, and on freeway interchanges there MIGHT be less constructive criticism. I know I would be more likely to accept any criticism knowing it was coming from experience. As always, I recognize all [s]nagging[/s] I mean criticisms are designed to keep us both safe.
I am in such do-do.
In 40 years of marriage I have ALWAYS encouraged DW to be self sufficient and not be in a situation of not having personal credit established and be able to continue life if I croak. My job is to respect her desire to be a co-driver.... or not. Wayne, Sooooo true about Tom Tom 1 and Tom Tom 2! Too late to just shut up HUH?
JMHO
Later,
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #32
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
John-- YOU live a dangerous life- especially if the DW gets ahold of this last post! Kind of reminds me of the joke about the hubby making a comment to his dear wife and the announcement of no visitation in the paper the next day! Maybe we can all meet at Goshen this next fall and discuss this problem!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #33
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
In all honesty, but I'll deny that it was me that ever posted this, Tom Tom 2 has been beneficial in a few instances regarding some safety issues. Like, "Light is red." And sometimes, "Light is GREEN!" Now the key word is "few," although she will dispute the amount of times, I'm sure.

I'm positive that if she were driving I could reciprocate in kind - for sure!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #34
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
I've driven a truck for about 30 years now, and can hardly stand to ride, but I let DW drive a cargo trailer one time and thought she did a good job as well as me, I thought I kept my mouth shut very well...she says I didn't. Seems I might have selective hearing.
shotgunred10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #35
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
My DW helps out towing "Anna" after lunch when I get the drowsys- She tows on the open road quite well (too d###n fast) but doesn't have the confidence to park our unit yet- She is very cautious about distance but doesn't slow down or brake soon enough for my taste- She expressed a desire to learn to park after reading a post I selected- Thanks to all who posted- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:22 AM   #36
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don-- Bring Judy the Anna to the Fall Rally and Judy can take the class that all the other young ladies are taking given by Keystone! It teaches them how to park, back, hookup, unhook and drive! It is a great class and really does give the ladies that confidence they want to take over behind the wheel.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #37
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Until last year Alicia never drove the truck with the trailer. Then we had a couple of those "What if" discussions and she decided it was time to learn. Due to me feeling that the 3400 was too much trailer for the F250 and we were already discussing upgrading the truck and decided to wait until the new truck was in service before she would start pulling the Monty.

We bought a HDT back in Feb. She has been driving it and loves it. The truck comes back from the frame shop next week and the following week we will make our first run with the HDT. I plan on having her drive some on the open road and get a feel for the HDT with a trailer. I don't think she will have any problems.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote