Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2010, 05:42 AM   #41
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
We moved up from a motor home with no slides to a 2006 329RLT with three slides. Bigger is better!

radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 AM   #42
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We have a 3075 and are very happy. I think the size depends on what you want to do with it. The first year we went out was for 6-1/2 months and we took way too much stuff. Shipped box's back home, learned a boat load about packing. Complained about the size and drooled about the 3400. We still like the floor plan of the 3400 but we pack much differently now and have stayed out 8 months at a time without difficulty. Parking is easier in tight spots and at times we enjoy boondocking (solar panels). We love the State Parks and NFS as well as National Parks and size does matter but there are the trade offs.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #43
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We did much like like washley1. We went from tenting with a minivan, to pulling a deluxe popup with an SUV, then straight to the 3400 and the dually. We love it. As others have said, take your time, learn the idiosyncracies slowly. One big advantage of the Monty is being able to do stop-and-go camping - just put the feet and stabilizers down (the remote helps) without unhitching. WAAAYYY easier, more comfortable and less time-consuming than the afore-mentioned alternatives. The pets love it, too. When we bring it from storage to the house to load up, the cat runs for the door!
We did an experiment in a big empty parking lot (they still have them in New Brunswick, on Sundays) where Kathy slowly drove the rig around in ever-smaller circles while I watched the angulation and the axles and moved soda cans to mark the circle. We got it down to a 65-foot diameter, which proved we could go down our cul-de-sac street and turn in the keyhole at the end. Another thing, when turning left in city intersections, head straight out, then head for the far corner of the sidewalks, then head for the left lane of the new street. This way, your left side and wheels will clear the centre median or painted line. I prefer to get close to things with the nose of the TV, where I can see them, instead of brushing things with parts I can't see. Also, if going straight, if your mirrors fit, the whole rig fits (side-to-side, anyways). Have fun!
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #44
plattj1

M.O.C. #9528
We went from a tent to a 23' MinnieWinne to a 27' Class A. From there we bought a 22.5 SOB pull behind and finally to a 3000RK in 2010. We have decided to RV more than camp, the private campgrounds offer so much more in terms of comfort and amenities and the space is tremendous. Having driven everything from a 30' bus to 34' of 5th wheel I can honestly say that the 5'ver is the best behaved and easiest to setup of the bunch.

The sole exception was the Minnie Winne, it did a lot of double duty going to little leauge games and church picnics when we had a newborn and toddler who needed a handy comfort station. Mini motorhomes are excellent for a young family.
plattj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #45
oscarj
Established Member

M.O.C. #8152
I enjoyed reading this thread. I, like the originator wondered if I did the right thing when I bought my 3670...now love it. I would add the best thing I did was buying the airborne sidewinder system to tow my monty with on my shortbed. My requirements to get in my narrow driveway and negotiating in state parks with the slide on the truck made things somewhat tough. You go in a parking lot and get closed in and have to get out and work the slide...a pain. The sidewinder takes all that away and I was amazed how much better the monty stays behind the truck and is like having a short trailer behind the truck. I feel like I am trailering a boat. In addition the airbag makes things so smooth! Just my two cents!
oscarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #46
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
When we were first looking at a show someone said when you find the size you think you want go a bit larger and they were right. The rig is great large and sometimes trouble getting into tight spots but it has been great. SP and NP's can be a problem.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 AM   #47
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We went from a 28' TT to the 3400rl...could not be happier.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #48
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
When we were looking we were actually looking for something a little smaller. Now we kinda wish we had something a little larger.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #49
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
The only problem we have is.....it takes longer to clean inside & out!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #50
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
This week, we hosted Kathy's parents, who slept in the bedroom up front while Kathy and I slept in the living room. Couldn't have done that so easily with a smaller trailer. And last night, in addition to the aforementioned guests, we hosted a dinner gathering for my brother, his wife and three kids, my other brother and Kathy's daughter. We used the kitchen to prepare food for all. When the skies opened up, we all crammed in under the awning and had a fine time. Monty 1, weather 0. We're glad we went big.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #51
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Speaking of which... we have 10 seats for us and guests (4 at the table, one at the desk, 2 recliners and 3 at the sofa). One or two small person(s) can actually sit at the interior stairs but it's awkward. This is what we did when it was cold and rainy outside during one family outing. All the food was kept on the kitchen counter.

Not bad, but there are bunkhouse trailers that might even seat more.

This would be a fun question to post, What is the most people you had in your rig? For us in our Monty it was 10 (8 adults, 1 13 year old and 1 infant) and two very small dogs. In an SOB we had it was still 10 but only 9 seats (6 adults, 4 children, one child sat on a cooler). In both cases, it was because of cold, inclement or very windy weather.

We like our rig size very much. No complaints, except when DW watches me back it into our driveway for storage, but I'm getting better and better all the time - I have an offset at the gate into the driveway that makes for a trickier manuever than I'd like, but this would affect any trailer. One of these days I'll have to fix that.

Everyone I've talked to say pretty much what others have said here. Once they are familiar with their rig, most would like to have gone bigger.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #52
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
30 to 36' class A to the 3665RE an no regrets. I'm getting better at handling it on city streets and with Jodis assistance with two way radio in hand parking in the tightest spot is stress free. From time to time we have company along and with this floor plan I was able to install a privacy curtain that blocks the open area at the rear of the trailer. We have had as many as 9 people on board.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #53
Coronabob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9515
You can't help but agree with everyone. RVing is so individualized, that only you would know. Big is always better and after a month ago, the tow vehicle can be important. We were in Northern California with crosswinds to 45 MPH. There were a number of fellow RVers pulling off in rest area. If it weren't for the dually, I would have,too
As for the Montana, we had a 13 year old granddaughter with us. Awesome for Grandma and Grandpa. Pain in neck with 3000RK. We are absolutely in love with our Montana, when it is only G&G.
Next time bigger.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #54
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
There is no susch thing as to big when it come to an RV, if they were 50' someone would be pulling it and saying he wishes it were a couple of feet bigger. As for the current sizes, they are all the same hight and width, pulling 3 or 4 more feet really doesn't make a difference to that big diesel pulling it. If you can fit a 12'6" high 101" wide unit in somewhere the length really doesn't matter that much. Go for the biggest you can comfortably pull and have the extra room for enjoyment. Wish my 3400RL was a 42 footer.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #55
jjoseph67
Established Member

M.O.C. #13099
Send a message via Yahoo to jjoseph67
The only regret I have is the extra fuel it takes to haul our 3400. But we usually stay at least 4 months in some places.
jjoseph67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #56
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Have had 9 types of camping units, from tent, popup, class C, Class A, tt, and 4 fifth wheels. Each time getting larger and more slides. Newest isa Mountaineer 358 rlt 2013 with 2 large slides and bedroom slide. We went from a 27 foot FW to a 30 , then 33, now 37'7 in. Wouldn't go back smaller ever. Not any more trouble setting up a larger rig than a smaller one. Still have the same things to do, but after setting up so much more comfortable. You will love it, don't second quess yourselves. Most are sorry they didn't go larger if they settle for a smaller unit. Just go and enjoy. You will especially like It if you stay somewhere for a month or so. Have fun and just use it as much as possible.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #57
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Had a camper on the truck for hunting trips, went to a 22 ft pull type, then to a 28 ft 5th wheel and now a 37 ft 3580RL and we love it. With the radius nose on the new Montana I have a short bed F250 Ford diesel 4x4 & 4 doors with a B&W hitch and can make 79 deg turns easy. I did add 3 X-Factor braces for the short turns and backing into tight places. We try to stay away from State and Federal parks becaus of narrow roads and small sites. Also most do not have all the hookups. If possible I always tru to back into a site on my left side.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #58
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We traded an 18' pull behind for the 38' Monty. Being a 5th wheel I think the much bigger rig handles better, but that's just me. We have friends who are doing it, but I wouldn't want to full time in the 18'er. 38' is small enough for me to be full timing in.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #59
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Buy big. You won't regret it. We have friends who just bought a new rig (another brand). They are first-time RVers and really didn't know what they wanted, but the salesman convinced them that a smaller trailer would be best for them and very easy to handle. They took it out 4 times before deciding they'd made a mistake in buying a 24' rig. So, they sold it outright and have now bought a 38' RV which they love. They said the smaller trailer just didn't have enough room for them, even though they use it primarily for short trips and have no pets or children.

If you're buying a 5th-wheeler, you'll find that they are extremely easy to pull and park, much easier than a regular trailer. I feel quite confident pulling our RV down the interstates and through cities and towns. Now and then, when I look in my rear view mirror, I get startled because I see our rig; it's easy to forget it's there, that's how smooth it is to pull!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #60
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Wish ours was even bigger. Started in a tent, 40 yrs ago. Have had many, to include a motorhome. Our current Monty 5er is by far the easiest and most satisfying to use. The remote control makes it too easy. We do wish ours had the Lippert Levelup. Shopped 2 yrs, even tried to talk ourselves out of the Monty. It is , without question, the most for the money, IMHO.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote