Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
TheScotts
Established Member

M.O.C. #13318
Length for Big Sky 3850FL

Hi everyone

Gary & Sheree here from Australia - we are going to very soon buy and import a Big Sky 3850FL - and we desperately need to know the measurement from the middle of the axles to the back of the ladder and the middle of the axles to the back of the rig...this is very helpful to us with the conversions over here in Australia...

We are thinking that the 3850FL has more weight in the rear with the bathroom and bedroom and so think it looks like the axles are further back because of this - maybe one of you lovely people might know if this is correct or not??

Here in Australia we are only allowed to have an overhang of 3.7m exactly - and that goes from the centre of the axle to the end of the ladder or if we remove the ladder to the back of the rig...otherwise we have to move the axles the 6pt level up system and everything else and it's a huge job and huge money and that's the reason we would love anyone who has any idea of that length - we would be so grateful...

thanks Gary & Sheree

TheScotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #2
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
Gary & Sheree,
For such finite measurements, I would send an e-mail followed up with a phone call (866-425-4369) to Keystone corporate customer service. I'm sure they have blueprints or an engineer that can answer that question. Good luck!
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #3
TheScotts
Established Member

M.O.C. #13318
Hi yes we have asked for these measurements and have to wait till next week because it's a holiday weekend over there in the USA we believe...just thought somebody may know and put us out of our misery:-)

Thanks for the heads up though
Old 05-26-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I had our guys measure one on our lot and sent the info in a PM. We measured 12 feet 2 inches to the end of the ladder.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I am very interested in your adventures in purchasing a Montana and importing it into Australia Gary. The upgrades will be fairly daunting and likely expensive but I am sure doable.

I am able to tell you that on my 2012 - 3402RL Montana the distance from the center of the rear axle to the back of the unit is 3.84 meters, that does not include the ladder. My unit and the one you propose to buy (3850FL) are similar in length mine being 39.2 ft and the 3850FL is listed at 39.3 ft..

Depending on the pin weight of the 3850, moving the axles to the rear 12 to 15 centimeters might significantly change the pin weight, something to contemplate as if you do not have enough....

The placement of the axles on the two units may differ to accomplish balance and pin weight, but I would think they will not be too much different, that will be interesting to find out.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor, hopefully the unit will be under the 3.7 meter limit, and will be one less thing to worry about.

Keystone don't seem to have wiring diagrams or plumbing diagrams for their units, I would be very surprised if they would be able to tell you the measurement you want without sending some lacky out to physically measure one. Someone on the MOC forum must own one of these units and would be able to tell you. I am surprised no one has jumped in by now.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I did not see Larry's post before submitting mine, hopefully that measurement is accurate and since that represents 3.784 meters you might be good to go on that part of your project.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
TheScotts
Established Member

M.O.C. #13318
Ohhh!!! Larry you are a gem...thank you so much...that gives us such a good feeling as it is a huge amount of money and effort to move the axles - the 6 point level up - the wheel arches etc etc...here's hoping it will save us...and again we thank you for your time and effort

This forum is unreal...so many lovely people helping out...thanks again and have a great holiday weekend...

Gary & Sheree
Old 05-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
TheScotts
Established Member

M.O.C. #13318
Ed, thanks for putting up about your rig being nearly exact same length and hopefully this confirms our hopes of this 3.7m overhang in that yours in a rear living with a front bath/bedroom - therefore with the rear bath/bedroom it may very well mean they are back that little extra to counter the front/rear weight distribution...it was so nice of Larry to do that for us and so nice of you to give us the idea with your measurement...thanks a lot...Gary & Sheree
Old 05-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
The Scotts,

I would love to hear more about your experiences in RV'ing, especially you being from Australia. It would be quite fascinating for most of us. Do follow this forum and ask any questions of us. There is a wealth of knowledge here and people are friendly and helpful. God luck and keep us informed.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I'm confused. Are we talking about distance from middle of rear axle or distance from middle of suspension which is between front and rear tire?
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote