Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Standard Maintenance Pays off again

Was under rig getting rear axle jacked and safety stand mounted so I could pull rear wheels to get bearings off and cleaned and repacked. What I found is the left rear spring hanger was still in place but had broken on both sides of the spring but was still under the I-beam. So as soon as I get the bearings done I will have to find a mig welder and some leathers and get her done.. I have been wanting a wire fed mig unit for a year or two now, maybe it is time...

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave they have some good buys at both Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply on your welder. Check them out!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ron, been looking there but for the moment I have a buddy's son coming over with his portable and leathers and tools. But it looks like if I don't get it for xmas I may get it for Q. I saw several there also. If I get one at a store it will most likely be Tractor Supply or Farm and Fleet here. They have a lot better service dept than HF. I have seen Tractor Supply in almost every stop we made on the last trip...

Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Are you gonna reweld the breaks in the hanger or are you gonna replace the hangers and weld a new one to the frame? I would opt for replacing the hangers. That's what we did on my Brother-in-law's rig when his hanger broke (but we had to have it done by a mobil welder, ouch on the $$$).

I'm envious of you dudes who weld. That looks like an awsome skill to have even for a limited do-it-yourselfer like me (I do realize it does take some practice to get it right). It sure would have saved by BIL a bunch of money.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I plan on welding the mount that is there. After it is welded I am putting end plates and gussets on all four hangers. Trying to cut the old hanger off would require a torch and flame where I really don't want flame. I can control any fire danger from the welder better than from a torch.I have been meaning to drop that part of the belly anyway. Might as well hang all the rest of the wiring I didn't get to during the tank replacements..
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Dave, I just bought a new MIG welder. I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews. Make sure you take a look at "Eastwood" MIG welders. Great reviews, great warranty and good company to work with. Their prices are great and they often offer free shipping which is pretty good on an 80lb welder. -Glenn
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Buy a 220 volt welder so your sure there's enough heat it get good metal penetration. And with every good welder you'll need a good grinder to get that crack out of the old weld. Getter Done!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Now all you need to find is 220v. That portable guy I mentioned had a huge 220v generator on his truck, then the huge welder (I don't know the specs, bug it was very ample). FYI - He did use a torch to remove the old broken hanger, then he cleaned up the frame of residue with a grinder and welded on the new hanger. But in our case, my BIL and I had jacked up the rig and removed the leaf spring so there was little other damage that could be done. I don't know about heating the frame but that torch took no time to remove the old hanger. It was definitely a Tim the Toolman moment.

Very nice plan Exnavydiver. Even though you are reusing the hanger, with the extra plates and gussets, that should be much better than original. I hope you post pictures when you're done. Like others that have done similar, they will be ohhhed and aaahed by folks like me.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
As soon as my buddy gets here (whenever that might be) we will frame jack the rig with it hooked to the truck and check if the original welds between the side plates and the frame have broken too. If so then we will just pry off the center plate that in just being held up by the side plates at the moment. If this is the case then I will either try to find a replacement hanger or make one with raw stock..
Old 08-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Dave; I had my schakels weld up 3 yrs ago on all the backs and fronts with a 1/4" stock at a 45% to beef it up some . I will show you at Goshen,sailer but that mite be tooo late as you will have it done already
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn the fifth

Dave, I just bought a new MIG welder. I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews. Make sure you take a look at "Eastwood" MIG welders. Great reviews, great warranty and good company to work with. Their prices are great and they often offer free shipping which is pretty good on an 80lb welder. -Glenn
I'm 99% sure that Eastwood doesn't make those themselves, so if you could find the original maker, you might be able to save a middle-man profit.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote