Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
EZ-Pass

We use an EZ-Pass for our cars and TV but did not register it for use of our TV when towing. In reading the NYS Thruway thread I saw mention of discounting with EZ-Pass. I'm curious if others use these and get different transponders and seperate accounts for their TV when towing or when not?

315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We registered all our vehicles including the Montana,Just move transponder one is all you need when towing
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:59 PM   #3
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

We registered all our vehicles including the Montana,Just move transponder one is all you need when towing
Thanks, I had thought there were different rates between 2 axle vehicles and vehicles towing so that the transponder would be at the most expensive rate as it wouldn't know if there was something in tow or not.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:55 AM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I was told in Florida that the electronics automatically detects the trailer and charges to your account. So far so good but I never checked it.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:00 AM   #5
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Here in Massachusetts we use Fastlane which is compatible with EZ-Pass. We have two transponders but use only one at a time. One is for the TV only and the other includes the TV and the Monty. We keep the one not being used in the foil bag they came in so it won't register when going through the toll booths. Yes, we get a discounted rate for using Fastlane but its also nice not to have to wait in lines.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Check out this link:
http://www.nysthruway.gov/ezpass/towing.html

There's a description of the "special Discount" plans for pickups towing 5th wheel or gooseneck trailers. To get 4L pricing, it appears that we need special tags.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:48 AM   #7
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lightningjack11

I was told in Florida that the electronics automatically detects the trailer and charges to your account. So far so good but I never checked it.

Thanks Tom,
I went back and checked the FAQs for this and found the following that I hadn't seen when I first signed up for this service.

I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my tag?

Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a tag programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your tag in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested (i.e. Car tag in a tractor-trailer).