Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Dump stations with no way to black tank flush

I have been seeing this at more and more dump stations lately, at RV parks, City Sewer Works, State Parks, Rest Areas, etc.

Has this ever happened to you?:

You have been camped at a site where there are no sewer hook-ups. You are all packed up and ready to head to the next destination, and you ease in to the dump station. You get out to do the dirty deed, and you find that there is an old rubber hose with no male hose fitting on the end of it to connect to the black tank flush in the convenience center. You say to yourself, "Self, I'll just hook up my grey water hose to the other end.". You look at the other end of their crummy hose, and it has a NPT fitting swaged on to the hose and screwed into another NPT fitting, and you mutter a few choice words that you would like say to their maintenance man. Sometimes you do find that the other end of their hose has a regular garden hose fitting so that you can hook up your grey water hose to, but not often in my experience.

This is how I solved that little problem!

I got two of the barbed fittings, one for regular sized hose and one with a smaller barbed end because I was at a dump station where they had a smaller ID hose that the regular one would not fit into. (Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!)

I suppose, just to have all of your bases covered, that you might also get various sizes of NPT fittings with a male garden hose end on it as well, but I would rather not remove their hose if is plumbed that way if I can help it. (unless it has holes in it and sprays all over the place, ....been to a couple of those dump stations too!)

Anyway, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
That's a great idea. Think I'll add about a six foot piece of hose as well. Some of those dump stations don't have a hose long enough to reach, but I've some old hose in the back yard & those fittings don't cost much. Thanks, Overlord!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Somehow I think you are missing the point. The dump station is for getting rid of your holding tank waste. Period. Many of them are just underground holding tanks and not connected to city sewer systems. The campground has to pay to get them pumped out. They provide a hose to rise off your connections, but they do not want you to connect to your flush system to add many gallons of water to their tank. Dump & go.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I have to agree, as nicely as I can, since we are talking the icky black stuff.

Dumps are not the place to hook up and start flushing the black tanks. Many times there are lines at those dumps, and no one really wants to sit there while someone else takes the time to flush.

Our Tana has a busted sprayer and we just don't bother to fix it. More water, less paper serves us well.

When we know we need to use the public dump we try to have some extra water in the fresh water tank. We dump and then, fill the toilet 2 or 3 times with the pump/fresh water. After CountryGuy finishes dumping the other waste tanks when the valves are all closed, I add a few more toilets full of fresh water, some laundry soap (a capful) and some Calgon. No ice in our toilet either, as we both feel it is a waste of $$, ice goes in our drinks! I have not seen one of those sprayers in person, but, I have to wonder, how fragile it is? Would ice crashing around in there break that sprayer?? Well no matter, ice for my drinks, not my black tank.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nice modification but I got to agree.It is dump station not a place to flush the tanks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Many state and Federal tanks have waste pit for RV dump sites, if everyone ran a hundred gallons of water into them, they would fill up after the first 15 or 20 campers. Think about it. I dump, add a couple gallons to my black tank, and move on. I did that for the last 35 years and I have never had a clogged black tank.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Overlord

I have been seeing this at more and more dump stations lately, at RV parks, City Sewer Works, State Parks, Rest Areas, etc.

Has this ever happened to you?:

You have been camped at a site where there are no sewer hook-ups. You are all packed up and ready to head to the next destination, and you ease in to the dump station. You get out to do the dirty deed, and you find that there is an old rubber hose with no male hose fitting on the end of it to connect to the black tank flush in the convenience center. You say to yourself, "Self, I'll just hook up my grey water hose to the other end.". You look at the other end of their crummy hose, and it has a NPT fitting swaged on to the hose and screwed into another NPT fitting, and you mutter a few choice words that you would like say to their maintenance man. Sometimes you do find that the other end of their hose has a regular garden hose fitting so that you can hook up your grey water hose to, but not often in my experience.

This is how I solved that little problem!

I got two of the barbed fittings, one for regular sized hose and one with a smaller barbed end because I was at a dump station where they had a smaller ID hose that the regular one would not fit into. (Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!)

I suppose, just to have all of your bases covered, that you might also get various sizes of NPT fittings with a male garden hose end on it as well, but I would rather not remove their hose if is plumbed that way if I can help it. (unless it has holes in it and sprays all over the place, ....been to a couple of those dump stations too!)

Anyway, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
Brilliant idea!! That will be one of my "winter projects" to put together. Thanks for sharing!! Where ever I flush out my black tank, I always seem to have problems getting the dump station hose to thread to the connection on the Monty so I just bought a brass quick connect. I leave the one end on the rinser hook up in the convience center and just screw on the other end of the hose at what ever dump station I am using providing that it has an end to screw on to.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use dump stations a lot when we travel and never once have we tried to flush. As Carol says "use plenty of water" and no problems. When we do stop somewhere that we pay for sewer I flush it out good, but not at a dump station and we've never had a single issue.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Not adding much here, but we add lots of Hot Water before the dump! It seems to help. But as others said we use dump stations seldom. We have 50 k black ( that's normal I assume ) and wait till hooked to sewer!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Dump and get out of the way. Others in line.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
PaDan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13130
I have to agree that we need to dump and move. Then when hocked to a site do a good flush then.
PaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
PaDan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13130
I have to agree that we need to dump and move. Then when hocked to a site do a good flush then.
PaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree and never try to flush at a dump station. I don't always flush it when dumping at our site. Most of the time I do but if I'm dumping while breaking down to hit the road, then I don't. I'll flush it next time. I suspect the reason there is no fitting on the hose is so the hose is used just to rinse any overflow on the apron and maybe to rinse out your hose. They don't want someone holding up others in line while they flush their tanks. Just my opinion...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote