Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #61
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I think that a DRW may help in a blowout situation but you may lose both tires at once. I already had a rear blow out on my SRW and although it tore up the truck bed etc I had no major handling problems while I got slowed down, off the road and onto the shoulder. I would worry more on having a front tire blow out and possibly cause a wreck.

Top Justice please let us know if you have had to add air bags or if the truck is fine stock.
Thanks in advance.

Tom Marty

Old 04-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #62
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Texan how did you get your weight numbers? Did you weigh your truck separately and then your fifth wheel separately and then re-weigh both vehicles together. I have weighed my truck separately and then weighed axle by axle my truck with my 3160 hooked to it. I also weighed side to side to see what kind of difference or how well balance my unit was.

Tom Marty
Old 04-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #63
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
I'm a little curious...what do you mean your rig has a "gcw" of 26,200lbs ?
Also, which Montana weighs more than 26,000lbs ?
Additionally, with your stated weight, shouldn't your pin weight be between 3,930lbs to 6,550lbs ?
He means GCVW Gross combined vehicle weight.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #64
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
I think that a DRW may help in a blowout situation but you may lose both tires at once. I already had a rear blow out on my SRW and although it tore up the truck bed etc I had no major handling problems while I got slowed down, off the road and onto the shoulder. I would worry more on having a front tire blow out and possibly cause a wreck.

Top Justice please let us know if you have had to add air bags or if the truck is fine stock.
Thanks in advance.

Tom Marty
we had the rear inside dually tire blow a couple of years ago. Helen was driving and said something just did not feel right so we stopped and checked otherwise would not have known it went. No damage what so ever.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #65
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
For the guys worried about a rear tire blow out what about a front tire blowout. The front tires are more likely to hit something on the road than the back tires.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #66
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A front t ire blowout would IMO be more serious that a rear tire blowout. We do have the TPMS on the front wheels, but of course it can nor detect a blowout . We have seen a decrease of tire pressure and a increase in temp on a front wheel and were able to get stopped before the tire completely failed .Dual tires in the rear do not hurt in the case of a blowout or tire failure.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #67
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Yes! The 4.9 was just being or trying to be humorous. I have had gms, and 3 psds.. just giving Rams a shot.. had an 04, 15, and now the 17...The 4.9 Ford was a great engine.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #68
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I just pulled my cat scale weigh ticket this morning and the gcw is 26,100 pounds. No Montana weighs 26,100 pounds but the gross combined weight is the weight of the truck at 9900 pounds and trailer at 16,200 pounds for a total of 26,100 pounds. My truck is at 9,900 pounds, the rv at 12,720 pounds and the hitch weight at 3,480 pounds. You total all this up and you get 26,100 pounds gcw. My weight of the truck at 9,900 pounds included the weight of the air-bag hitch, 60 gallon fuel tank full and regular tank full and my wife and i in the truck with a few tools. Weight can add up quickly . I'm not a full timer and if i were then i would weigh more than i do now. This is why i advocate drw as most people weigh more than they think. I would certainly like to have a srw buy my numbers are just to high and i'm sure there are many that weigh more than me.
Now I know you mean GCWR. So disregard my curiosity.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #69
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
For the guys worried about a rear tire blow out what about a front tire blowout. The front tires are more likely to hit something on the road than the back tires.
Lynwood
I agree. My front tires have a weight of 2780 pounds each loaded or empty.My rear tires have 1100 pounds each empty and 1970 pounds each loaded. This is why i carry 80 psi in my front tires at all time.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #70
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
Texan how did you get your weight numbers? Did you weigh your truck separately and then your fifth wheel separately and then re-weigh both vehicles together. I have weighed my truck separately and then weighed axle by axle my truck with my 3160 hooked to it. I also weighed side to side to see what kind of difference or how well balance my unit was.

Tom Marty
I weighed my rig at a cat scale at flying-j truck stop 2 miles from the house. I brought my whole rig on the scale and weighed my steering axle,drive axle and trailer axle all at the same time. The total weight was my gross combined weight. I pulled off the scale and dropped my trailer off and reweighed just the truck. The steering axle weighed the same. The drive axle weighed 7,780 pounds with the trailer and 4400 pounds without which gave me 3480 pounds hitch weight. The trailer axles weighed 12,720 pounds and you add this to the hitch weight and you get the total weight of the trailer at 16,200 pounds. I've had my trailer weighed at Mor-Ryde wheel by wheel but cat scales don't have that ability.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #71
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Lynwood
A number of years ago we had a right front tire blow out on a 40' diesel pusher. We were cruising at about 62, I tapped off the cruise, held tight to the steering wheel (it was vibrating back and forth), and got on the shoulder. The steel belts of the blown tire ripped out some electrical wiring under the coach, and there were some black marks from the tire down the side, other wise no damage.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #72
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I was checking my 2018 F150 owners manual and came across something that surprised my so I checked the Super Duty on line owners manual and sure enough it was there to and hast to apply to all trucks Ram and Chevy to.

Quote:
Note: For high altitude operation, reduce the gross combined weight by 2% per 1,000 ft (300 m) starting at the 1,000 ft (300 m) elevation point.

So you could be within all weight specks and still be over weights at times like on I 80 in Wyoming at 8800 feet. There you would be down by over 17%.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #73
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
I was checking my 2018 F150 owners manual and came across something that surprised my so I checked the Super Duty on line owners manual and sure enough it was there to and hast to apply to all trucks Ram and Chevy to.

Quote:
Note: For high altitude operation, reduce the gross combined weight by 2% per 1,000 ft (300 m) starting at the 1,000 ft (300 m) elevation point.

So you could be within all weight specks and still be over weights at times like on I 80 in Wyoming at 8800 feet. There you would be down by over 17%.
Lynwood
All the more reason to have more towing capacity than you need.
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #74
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
All the more reason to have more towing capacity than you need.
"Towing" capacity is fine for all diesels, what they (2500/250 models) is more cargo capacity. It's a weight issue, not a power issue.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #75
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
"Towing" capacity is fine for all diesels, what they (2500/250 models) is more cargo capacity. It's a weight issue, not a power issue.
The 3/4 tons are better suited for transportation than the duallys. They ride better. If you need to tow heavy, then its dually.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #76
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The most miss understood word among Rv'ers. Cargo capacity, Carry capacity .What the truck is rated to carry,That includes pin weight of the RV as the pin weight is carried IN the bed of the truck so it is part of the Carry capacity/cargo capacity.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #77
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
If everyone would weigh there truck and trailer then they would know there numbers. DRW is plenty for any situation with the Montana's. SRW 1 ton is questionable and 3/4 ton is not in the ball park. I agree with dfb in that the 3/4 ton is more suited for running around and parking than the drw's .No one likes to park a drw. I can't imagine traveling with over 2 tons in the back of a 3/4 ton truck on a regular basis.We are all concerned about the tire capacity on our rv's but how about the tire capacity on our trucks, notably the rear ones.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:37 PM   #78
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
If everyone would weigh there truck and trailer then they would know there numbers. DRW is plenty for any situation with the Montana's. SRW 1 ton is questionable and 3/4 ton is not in the ball park. I agree with dfb in that the 3/4 ton is more suited for running around and parking than the drw's .No one likes to park a drw. I can't imagine traveling with over 2 tons in the back of a 3/4 ton truck on a regular basis.We are all concerned about the tire capacity on our rv's but how about the tire capacity on our trucks, notably the rear ones.
Some don't want to know, some don't know they should know, some know they are over and don't give a damn,,,, the rest either know they are far under or have already been to the scales.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #79
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I guess we are fortunate in that we have more than one vehicle. We bought the one ton dually to do one thing TOW! When we want to go somewhere in comfort then we jump in the car (soon to be a Ford F-150).

I understand why some folks choose to go with a lighter truck if it is their daily driver or they can’t afford multiple vehicles. But for me I buy vehicles based almost entirely on intended purpose. I don’t want any doubt when I hookup to a 42’ trailer that I have enough truck! I don’t like driving the dually in tight places and I sure as heck don’t think of it as some sort of status symbol. It’s just the right tool for the job that’s all.

It’s like our boats. I don’t put a kayak in a big lake that is white capping and I don’t put the 28’ Cabin Cruiser on a white water stream.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #80
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
...I understand why some folks choose to go with a lighter truck if it is their daily driver or they can’t afford multiple vehicles.

But for me I buy vehicles based almost entirely on intended purpose....
If a person doesn't want to drive it as a daily driver or can't afford the proper truck to haul a 16/18k Montana, then they should not buy that RV.

Intended purpose is the key, the proper vehicle is the one you need, not the one you want.